SA-2 Musical Dac (Audio-gd)
Oct 1, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #16 of 76
It would be great if USB32-input could be used without needing my jkenny converter with the 21db attenuator, but how can I be sure that my expectations were not too high, and that I could be missing my current configuration?

Is there any reliable review, where USB32 is mentionned to be better or on the same level than, lets say Jkenny MK3 or the audiophilleo. 

If so, that would be a big argument, to proceed to a new Audio-gd Dac (for ex. the Naim M51, still seems to be bettered with a converter, or you should use its hdmi-input that runs I2S)

beerchug.gif

Oct 1, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #19 of 76
Well, I think most of his new items are just improvements- not a ton of totally new designs really (different implementations of the same guts). If he named things more conventionally, it might make more sense (like MKII, MKIII, etc.- maybe that's a western thing though).

Oct 2, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #20 of 76
Hi there,

Made a spontanous decision: Found a Nad M51 for 1400€ and jumped on it 
blink.gif

Hope it will be delivered quickly...

My first Audio-Gd NFB10WM took over 3 months to get to Europe (via EMS) and that was finally the point to change my decision not to take this risk again and order the SA-2. Perhaps a mistake? Who knows? (Price would have been nearly identical)

Sorry for OT, but wanted to explain...

Still interested in hearing (reading) experiences from futur Sa-2 users 
beerchug.gif

Oct 2, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #21 of 76
All these comments are realy interesting.
I am currently looking to upgrade My DAC   (Cyrus Audio DACX+ with PSX power supply).
I'm looking for a Detailed sound yes but not forsaking Musicality, smoothness, detail, dynamics & a good bottom end.
That's not to say I mind a bit of colouration in the right way that embellishes the sound.
Do you think the Audio GD SA 2 will give me this?
Any other suggestions for DAC's..........

Oct 2, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #22 of 76
If my old Ref 9 was any indication-I think the SA-2 would be an excellent choice in that regard. Prepare to burn in any AGD dac for at least 3-500 hours before iit settles completely in. On top of that, they tend to need a couple hour warm up time to boot.

-Daniel

Oct 3, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #23 of 76
...a few thoughts about USB-32 and SA-2...

USB-32 is SQ wise in whereabouts of audiophilleo2. It does some things slightly better (clarity, focus) and some things slightly worse (soundstage depth), but they are, IMO, on the same level.

Note that my comparison was done on NFB-11.32: BNC SPDIF coax input on NFB-11.32 is connected directly to ES9018 (no SPDIF to I2S converter chips like DIR9001 or WM8805 required; ES9018 has it's own on-chip SPDIF input) and it seems that ES9018 has an excellent PLL on it's SPDIF input which makes it's whole SPDIF input excellent. PCM1704 based DAC like SA-2 would require SPDIF to I2S converter (DIR9001, WM8805...) before digital filtering so the audiophilleo vs USB-32 comparison could differ here.

That said - details, dynamics with "liquid" (musical?) presentation and extraordinary low end response is the "signature" of all 3x r-core transformer based multi PCM1704 A-GD DACs. If diamond differential gain stages in SA-2 are similar to SA-31 head/preamp ones - then add harmonics to the described "signature" sound. And "good harmonics" at that - huuuge "out-of-your-head" stage and possible slight detail increase... Everything is listenable, almost everything sound good... and if you are into dead neutral that may not please you... but it sure is addictive and fun.
biggrin.gif

Thing with diamond differential, as I understand/hear it, is - it works best single ended. I have tried feeding differential (balanced) signal to my SA-31 and beside increased input levels and, perhaps because of that, slightly more pronounced details - the "harmonic magic" was not much there as when the same source was connected in single ended fashion. Bad thing with that is - you "hear" RCA cables and your system is not so immune to interferences as with ACSS.

There.
cool.gif

Oct 4, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #24 of 76
Quote:
...a few thoughts about USB-32 and SA-2...

USB-32 is SQ wise in whereabouts of audiophilleo2. It does some things slightly better (clarity, focus) and some things slightly worse (soundstage depth), but they are, IMO, on the same level.

There.
cool.gif

Frau's spot on with the performance of the USB-32 in comparison to the AP2, which mirrored my impressions of them both on the Master7 dac via BNC input for the Ap2 and USB direct.

Jan 8, 2013 at 6:40 AM Post #29 of 76
Does anyone know what the difference in sound signatures are between the SA-2 and the Ref 5.32? Which is more neutral; which is darker/brighter?

Jan 9, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #30 of 76
Quote:
Has anyone yet listened to the SA-2? 

Please share if you have.  Love to hear about it.

I own it :)
I bought it because knew the sound of Reference 9(I've heard it 1-2 years ago). By memory SA-2 have same comfortable and great sound as Reference 9. USB input is not bad but AES from RME AIO is better :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back