S4 to IEM?
Apr 23, 2012 at 4:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

-ToM-

Head-Fier
Hey guys.

My portable rig currently consists of:

Galaxy Nexus => Fiio E6 => Klipsch Image S4

I just wondering if anyone thinks its worth getting a sub $300 AUD set of IEM's.

The 2 im looking at are the Shure SE425's or Westone UM2's.

Regards

Apr 23, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #4 of 17
They are a nice set of phones, but the ear buds are kind of uncomfortable. There is also the thought that i may be missing a lot of detail/sound experience with a $100 pair of headphones compared to say a $300 set of dual drivers

Apr 23, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #5 of 17
imo the se425 are'nt worth it. ive owned it and for the price range.

the westone 3 are a better choice.

do i think its worth it. well personally i would think new iem's would benifit from a better amp and better source. although they will sound ok with the current setup you have. everyone is different.

going from the e6 to the fiio e7 with the klipsch could make them sound different. the e5/6 is more of a volume booster verses a ''amp'' the fiio e7 even though just a entry level amp. is a good amp to start with.

Apr 23, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #7 of 17
If you like the Klipsch S4s, the Westone 3, TF10 and JVC FX700 will be the better options. But the TF10 wouldn't fit well if the S4, which fit is already so good(uncomfortable), doesn't. 

Apr 23, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #8 of 17
According to Joker, and disclaimer: he is only one opinion, the Westone 3/TF 10/ JVC FX700 pale in comparison to the VSonic GR07.  ^^

Apr 23, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #9 of 17
I'm going to have to give a +1 to the GR07s too. I upgraded from S4s to GR07s and was absolutely floored. The GR07 thoroughly stomps the S4 (and just about anything else in the same price range) in every way imaginable.

Bass is tight, fast, well-extended and textured. Quantity is what I would consider ideal, and it's capable of being both polite and thunderous.

Midrange is well balanced and placed within the spectrum. Mostly neutral with a touch of warmth. Again well-textured and natural-sounding.

Treble is a touch rolled off, but extends up very far and remains refined to the limits of what my ears can hear. It's a bit uneven and sibilant (but nowhere near the S4) until several hundred hours in, but when fully burned-in it's smooth and clear.

Apr 24, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #10 of 17

Quote:
I'm going to have to give a +1 to the GR07s too. I upgraded from S4s to GR07s and was absolutely floored. The GR07 thoroughly stomps the S4 (and just about anything else in the same price range) in every way imaginable.

Bass is tight, fast, well-extended and textured. Quantity is what I would consider ideal, and it's capable of being both polite and thunderous.

Midrange is well balanced and placed within the spectrum. Mostly neutral with a touch of warmth. Again well-textured and natural-sounding.

Treble is a touch rolled off, but extends up very far and remains refined to the limits of what my ears can hear. It's a bit uneven and sibilant (but nowhere near the S4) until several hundred hours in, but when fully burned-in it's smooth and clear.

my portable setup now is ipod classic 160gb => fiio e17 alpen => etymotic research hf5, so is gr07 going to be an upgrade from my hf5?

Apr 24, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #12 of 17

Quote:

I preferred the HF5 to the GR-07. But what did you find the HF5 lacking in? Bass?

unlike most people, i dont find it lacking in bass, well maybe a lil bit of subbass extension but not so much in quantity of bass. i listen mostly to female vocals so the sound signature is actually suited for what i use it for. i will appreciate it if the notes are slightly thicker too, i think if the notes are any thinner, the treble and upper mids will start to sound tinny and harsh (at least thats what i think). now its just barely not harsh yet but i use beyer dt990 at home and when i go back to my hf5 for commute, at the beginning it sounds somewhat tinny. what i find lacking the most is the soundstage and imaging, i want a much bigger soundstage and i would like, if possible, have something that has pinpoint imaging. i think iems actually wont do it for me so im actually planning to get a pair of full sized headphone for an upgrade with an approximately same sound signature, probably the shure srh940. 

Apr 24, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #13 of 17

Quote:

unlike most people, i dont find it lacking in bass, well maybe a lil bit of subbass extension but not so much in quantity of bass. i listen mostly to female vocals so the sound signature is actually suited for what i use it for. i will appreciate it if the notes are slightly thicker too, i think if the notes are any thinner, the treble and upper mids will start to sound tinny and harsh (at least thats what i think). now its just barely not harsh yet but i use beyer dt990 at home and when i go back to my hf5 for commute, at the beginning it sounds somewhat tinny. what i find lacking the most is the soundstage and imaging, i want a much bigger soundstage and i would like, if possible, have something that has pinpoint imaging. i think iems actually wont do it for me so im actually planning to get a pair of full sized headphone for an upgrade with an approximately same sound signature, probably the shure srh940. 

Hmm, some people find the GR-07 harsh too, so I don't know if they will suit you... but the soundstage and imaging are certainly better than the HF5. 

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #15 of 17

Quote:

my portable setup now is ipod classic 160gb => fiio e17 alpen => etymotic research hf5, so is gr07 going to be an upgrade from my hf5?

I consider the GR07 an upgrade from the HF5, yes. It extends better on both ends, has better soundstage and imaging, and being a dynamic it has more natural-sounding decay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back