S.M.S.L M3 Mini DAC
Nov 30, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #31 of 47
I asked the seller Pericross on amazon.de if they had any info on the output impedance and they told me its 10 Ohms. 10 Ohm is not uncommon and not super high either.
Many 6120A2  based amps have that impedance. The udac 3 has about 6 ohms, Schiit Valhalla 2 has 14 ohms on high gain, the dac magic plus has 50 ohms as has the MF v90 HPA and the original Meridian Explorer had 50 ohms too.
And its not like it destroys your headphones or anything and soundwise afaik itll only change bass response depending on your headphones. 

Nov 30, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #32 of 47
  I asked the seller Pericross on amazon.de if they had any info on the output impedance and they told me its 10 Ohms. 10 Ohm is not uncommon and not super high either.
Many 6120A2  based amps have that impedance. The udac 3 has about 6 ohms, Schiit Valhalla 2 has 14 ohms on high gain, the dac magic plus has 50 ohms as has the MF v90 HPA and the original Meridian Explorer had 50 ohms too.
And its not like it destroys your headphones or anything and soundwise afaik itll only change bass response depending on your headphones. 

Thanks. my x2's are 32 ohm, so it's a bit high for them.

Feb 3, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #37 of 47
since getting these, have been finding a lot of quirks with windows and ps3

using the usb, the dac will go up to 96Khz and 24bit, but windows will give out that no matter what the sound is

kinda like a tv saying that a dvd is 1080p because the tv is 1080p, instead of saying its 480p and its upscaling it

when connected with optical, windows gives you options and you can test out each setting asking if your receiver can give out any sound

testing it out I can say that the higher you go the more "lag" you get when playing a sound from windows it will play but it plays half way through and even though on my ps3 this little receiver can output dts or 5.1 through stereo, on pc it only makes a noise

so ticking all the boxes makes you believe that like my tv it will change depending on the sound played but the lights on the dac indicate that it never does, so what is the point of testing and checking the sample rates if it doesn't change?

(even ps3 asks you in the options menu if your tv can handle certain types of sample rates and video dimensions and gives you each as they are instead of trying to upscale everything including sound to the highest setting)

also the dac CAN output 192Khz via optical but SONY doesn't want to give you that option when connecting it directly to ps3

but there is an option to bypass that and connect it to my tv (also sony) and make ps3 give you 192Khz via hdmi to tv to optical to m3

which is fine and as far as I can tell it works with blu-ray that has DTS 5.1

Feb 9, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #38 of 47
The channel imbalance is almost certainly the potentiometer, but I'm sure would get better with lower output gain. Mine exhibits almost no channel imbalance driving fairly sensitive 32ohm over-ear cans. I would also like to know if there is a resistor inside that is safe to short, like the M6 (apparently, you can short the resistor on the M6, but am not sure if the same rule applies here).

Feb 11, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #39 of 47
found an easy way to listen to analog with the m3...

using my tv I can connect analog to rca input and have the tv output digital via optical to the dac/amp

for example, vcr or cassette deck

or even connecting my iphone6s analog output

its fun to think how many times you can convert a signal from analog to digital to analog

vcr to tv, to m3, to jbl speakers (that have a class-d amp that converts analog to digital then analog again)

so source to output, it goes analog to digital to analog to digital to analog

edit: it's not entirely true that jbl speakers or class d amps converts analog to digital, but it does change the signal 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class-D_amplifier​

Feb 27, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #42 of 47
I'm somewhat new to all this. I power a pair of audio Technicas ATH A700x with a bravo audio ocean tube amp. They don't really need amplification but the tube helps to warm up the flat response of the monitors. I use my Microsoft surface at work as my source and notice some noise from the power plug. If I unplug the power cable the noise goes away. Would using the DAC prevent that? It looks as if signal can come in through USB.

Feb 27, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #44 of 47
I've noticed that laptop power packs create a lot of hum and hiss. Weather I use my surface or laptop as a source they sound better unplugged. I figured going through USB might help.

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #45 of 47
I just found out that this mini dac doesn't play pure tones correctly

http://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

I use this site to measure or test earbuds/eaphones and when testing a new mx365 I heard something weird like the tone wasn't pure

to test this I used an app on my iphone and saw that indeed along with the tone I chose 3-4 other frequencies were being played also

I thought it was a faulty earbud or that it needed some burn in time but when I tried my pc oem headphone jack the tone played normally....

I don't know how this can effect the sound in normal listening, but it could be a defect of the dac

---edit---

I just tried the optical in and didn't have the same defect, perhaps is the usb connection that powers it and gives the signal that causes the problem, Idk, but I guess I will be using optical for now...

---2nd edit---

nope, tried measuring some earbuds 1 frequency at a time just to see if I can make a makeshift frequency graph and the defect still persists, maybe its just faulty, but it makes everything brighter by playing tones it's not supposed to

tried lowering the sample rate of the sound coming from my pc, didn't change anything

I tried connecting my earphones to my kenwood speaker amp's headphone jack and the tone played normally, even though it is connected to the mini dac, that makes no sense, unless the old kenwood amp has some sort of filter

I tried connecting the earphones directly to the line output using a cable adapter and it just got worse

this dac is just so frustrating to understand, makes me wish I just bought a headphone amp instead of trying to get an "upgrade" my pc's oem dac

I tried using a usb power adapter instead of my pc to power it it seems to work again, until when Idk...

---3rd edit---

I don't know what is causing this, when played from my pc the same tone it will only hear that specific tone and nothing else

this is with optical input and usb to power outlet from a iphone 5 power brick using stock usb cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back