S-Logic Eargasim moment
Mar 21, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by khbaur330162 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure binaural induced aurgasms should be limited to headphones implementing this S-Logic technology. Don't know what it is, or how it works, but I can say I've heard binaural recordings through several different headphones, none of which containing this technology, and they all still sounded like "magic" to me. I think it's simply the nature of the recording that makes it sound so amazing.

I believe there's a thread in the music forum dedicated to binaural recordings with many good links to sources. I heard one where a man simply crumples up tissue paper all around the microphone/aparatus and it literally gave me tingles all up and down my spine. Pin-point accuracy with direction and sometimes even distance can be deducted with a good binaural recording with any hi-fi level/grade headphone, ime.

Can some one try and explain how this "S-Logic" would react any differently to this type of recording?

S-Logic does not "act" or "react" at all, it is entirely passive.

I think that because it's such a strong point of distinction and used as a marketing card by Ultrasone, there is a tendency to initially approach S-Logic from the standpoint of it being some kind of process through which the music emerges.

But it is simply another type of presentation, and one not too terribly different from, say, the K-1000s by including the entire ear in the listening experience, as it would be listening to loudspeakers or attending a live performance.

This is just one reason why, for me anyway, the PROlines work exceptionally well as complete, all-around headphones.

But I understand entirely how some folks can never quite seem to "get" them. If somebody is predisposed not to believe that a headphone's character can change fundamentally with burn-in, they might give up well before the Ultrasones reach anything approaching their optimal level of performance. If someone listens primarily through conventional headphones, they might never warm to the very different presentation on offer via the offset drivers.

And there is one other aspect that is only just beginning to be discussed, and this concerns the positioning of the ear-cups with regard to the ears. When I've taken my Ultrasones to meets, there has been a tendency for most people (listening to them for the first time) to wear the headphones with the rear of the ear-cup positioned flush against the back curvature of the outer ear.

But from my experience fiddling about with my PROlines when I first got them, I discovered that for me the "sweet spot" was attained by positioning my ears just a few millimeters more centrally into the cup; with my ears flush against the rear of the pads, the soundstage collapses somewhat and the timbres lose some vibrancy.

Of course, everyone's ears are different, so at meets I've begun to encourage people to shift the positioning until they hear the best sound for them.

Mar 21, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #17 of 24
this voices being drowned by mid range it´s just a phase in the burn in.

I had that very thing myself when I was around 60-100h of burn in or something where I really felt they started to sound dull with kind of everything involving female singers. Wondered if I had ear fatigue or something...

But now with over 150h enya is sounding more like enya om my old AKG 240:s... female singers don´t sound muted anymore and the sound is much much fuller...

However the Proline 750 doesn´t emphasize female singers over the rest like many headphones seem to do. My DT 770 emphasize voices for sure.

As for my first S-logic moment. It wasn´t the first but the first in music where I noticed sound from behind me as well as in front. Brothers in arms with Dire straights. Guitars behind me and singer and drums in front of me. Doesn´t hurt in such an awesome song too
smily_headphones1.gif

However you do get used to this sound presentation sadly so once you got your first you kind of expect them all the time later...

Mar 21, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #18 of 24
Thanks guys. That helps my understanding a lot actually.

The reason I may never feel the need to buy an Ultrasone is because my CD3K's have angled drivers which would, in theory, "present" the music in a relatively similar fashion. I've heard noises come from directly behind me (sounds to be about 15-20 feet away) on a normally recorded/mastered Spoonman album; there's some silverware clatter in the background. The first time I heard this, it scared me half to death because it just so happened that my kitchen was to the back of me, and I was home alone. No doubt about it though, that binaural tissue paper recording had perfect placement such that, as I said before, it sent shivers up and down my spine. I could hear it go completely around 360 degrees, above my head, and even at one point it sounds like he trips or something and I can hear a foot tap a bit of ways below me. (I can't listen to it standing up because I get dizzy!) I've heard that the Dynahi has almost holographic imaging, so perhaps it's just the synergy between the components of my rig (i.e. massive CD3K soundstage and Dynahi's imaging capabilities).

S-Logic seems like an interesting concept, however. I read it has other positive effects though too like being easier on the ear for extended listening periods, and that it gives off less radiation that'd normally be emitted into the brain. I can't see myself upgrading to a pair of Edition 9's any time soon though, so again, I don't think Ultrasones are in my immediate future.

Edit: Just saw your blurb, Dexdexter, about driver/ear placement. Whole heartedly agree. For different genres I find myself fiddling with my Sony's in similar fashions fairly consistently. I've found that for classical (the bit that I have and listen to) I place my ears all the way back which accentuates bass and lower midrange giving wood winds and strings a bit more life, imo. It kills the highs a tad though, and I find this representation closer to the HD600 I had for a short while. I'll also listen to my music this way if I'm about to go to sleep. It's perfect though, because on my pillow, the cups get pushed forward (and subsequently, my ears back) which makes for an easier and less involving listen which is pleasing late at night.

My favorite band, ELO, sounds best with my ears right smack dab in the middle. This, again, is rather beneficial because my ears get pretty warm pretty quickly if they are actually touching the pleather. Currently I have a fan on my Dynahi because I don't like how hot it gets (love the sound though) but sometimes I cheat and turn the fan on my face for a few minutes.
tongue.gif
At night I have a fan on me regardless. Good times.

Okay, now I sort of rambled on and on. Sorry for anyone who actually read all that.
redface.gif

Mar 21, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this voices being drowned by mid range it´s just a phase in the burn in.

I had that very thing myself when I was around 60-100h of burn in or something where I really felt they started to sound dull with kind of everything involving female singers. Wondered if I had ear fatigue or something...

But now with over 150h enya is sounding more like enya om my old AKG 240:s... female singers don´t sound muted anymore and the sound is much much fuller...

However the Proline 750 doesn´t emphasize female singers over the rest like many headphones seem to do. My DT 770 emphasize voices for sure.

As for my first S-logic moment. It wasn´t the first but the first in music where I noticed sound from behind me as well as in front. Brothers in arms with Dire straights. Guitars behind me and singer and drums in front of me. Doesn´t hurt in such an awesome song too
smily_headphones1.gif

However you do get used to this sound presentation sadly so once you got your first you kind of expect them all the time later...

Just to make things clear, where my expressions come from:

My pair was fully burned in. At least i suppose you can call a pair with 250-300 hours that. And i also heard them exclusively for several days without changing back and forth with other cans.

It's just that the PL650 is by no means a neutral can: it emphazises the bass and the highs (according to a member of a different board, who shared his experience with me, this is also true for the 2200 (as one would expect).
And this plays certainly into my experience.

Also i have read different opinions from people outside of headfi (although these attend here as well, but primarily on a german board), that claim this to be the same for the 750, but because i haven't heard them myself, i don't know to what extend this is true. It was just interesting to read different opinions as well.

Mar 21, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Thanks guys. That helps my understanding a lot actually.

The reason I may never feel the need to buy an Ultrasone is because my CD3K's have angled drivers which would, in theory, "present" the music in a relatively similar fashion. I've heard noises come from directly behind me (sounds to be about 15-20 feet away) on a normally recorded/mastered Spoonman album; there's some silverware clatter in the background. The first time I heard this, it scared me half to death because it just so happened that my kitchen was to the back of me, and I was home alone. No doubt about it though, that binaural tissue paper recording had perfect placement such that, as I said before, it sent shivers up and down my spine. I could hear it go completely around my head, 360 degrees, as well as above it, and at one point it sounds like he trips or something and I can hear a foot tap below me. I've heard that the Dynahi has almost holographic imagine, so perhaps it's just the synergy between the components of my rig.

S-Logic seems like an interesting concept though. I read it has other positive effects, like being easier on the ear to listen to for extended periods of time, and it gives of less radiation or something that would normally be emitted into the brain.

Edit: Just saw your blurb, Dexdexter, about driver/ear placement. Whole heartedly agree. For different genres I find myself fiddling with my Sony's in similar fashions fairly consistently. I've found that for classical (the bit that I have and listen to) I place my ears all the way back which accentuates bass and lower midrange giving wood winds and strings a bit more life, imo. It kills the highs a tad though, and I find this representation closer to the HD600 I had for a short while. I'll also listen to my music this way if I'm about to go to sleep. It's perfect though, because on my pillow, the cups get pushed forward (and subsequently, my ears back) which makes for an easier and less involving listen which is pleasing late at night.

My favorite band, ELO, sounds best with my ears right smack dab in the middle, though, which is good, because my ears get pretty warm pretty quickly if they are actually touching the pleather. Currently I have a fan on my Dynahi because I don't like

frown.gif
I don't know if all that is a good thing. I'd be taking my phones off every 5 minutes to make sure no one was knocking on the door

Mar 21, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif
I don't know if all that is a good thing. I'd be taking my phones off every 5 minutes to make sure no one was knocking on the door

Lmao. Don't you like the K1000? Would those not similarly provide an expansive soundscape?

To each their own. My love for large soundstages might be accredited to my growing love for the CD3K sound signature. They've really grown on me. Such beautiful music... and wood too!
3000smile.gif

Mar 21, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

The reason I may never feel the need to buy an Ultrasone is because my CD3K's have angled drivers which would, in theory, "present" the music in a relatively similar fashion.

Ah, yes, I forgot about those Sonys. I heard a pair of CD5000s at the Bristol Meet last month and thought they were very impressive, especially in comfort and build quality. And I definitely detected a taste of the Ultrasone presentation, only with a tad more reserve.

BTW, those Headphiled CD3Ks of yours are just gorgeous.
500000033.gif
Are they a big improvement over the stock versions?

Mar 22, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, yes, I forgot about those Sonys. I heard a pair of CD5000s at the Bristol Meet last month and thought they were very impressive, especially in comfort and build quality. And I definitely detected a taste of the Ultrasone presentation, only with a tad more reserve.

BTW, those Headphiled CD3Ks of yours are just gorgeous.
500000033.gif
Are they a big improvement over the stock versions?

CD5000's? As in CD3000 driver housings with W5000 drivers? If so, I'm sure that would give a little added soundstage to the W5000's drivers, but keep in mind that they weren't designed to be in that type of implementation. I'm not quite sure you got the full effect. Also, I've got CD3000 drivers in mine, and they are anything, but reserved. You can alleviate their semi-aggressive nature a tad a la fiddling with the placement in respect to your ears, or using a little EQ as I do, but they are definitely headphones that grab your attention away from whatever it is that you're doing.

Thanks for the comments on my Sony's. I really love how they look, and I think the color of the wood is just beautiful (in person more so than the pics). I bought them pre-modded, so I don't know what they sound like stock. I've been thinking about buying a pair of stock driver housings off Partstore just to see the difference, but haven't mustered up enough courage to stray away form the purdy wood.
frown.gif
Either way, they'd still be recabled, so I wouldn't be able to do a true A/B test.

Here's some pictures of them on my head which, as pointed out by a few members in another thread, look quite ridiculous. It's all about the music right?
cool.gif

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a5/...angelsCD3K.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a5/...simplysexy.jpg

Here's a picture that I think captured their color and grain the best. I haven't gotten that close since.
3000smile.gif

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a5/...2/P1010792.jpg

Sorry for derailing the thread! (I always do that...
redface.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back