S-Logic Eargasim moment
Mar 21, 2007 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

mastercheif

100+ Head-Fier
Wow, I was listening to Idioteqe by Radiohead on their Kid A album with my HFI-700s, and I was just put into the middle of a mountain-scape where there are sounds coming at me from every direction. S-Logic may seem like marketing jumble, but when it works, it works. What other songs have you guys heard on Ultrasone headphones that S-Logic turned into a totaly different song for you?

Mar 21, 2007 at 9:28 AM Post #2 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by mastercheif /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, I was listening to Idioteqe by Radiohead on their Kid A album with my HFI-700s, and I was just put into the middle of a mountain-scape where there are sounds coming at me from every direction. S-Logic may seem like marketing jumble, but when it works, it works. What other songs have you guys heard on Ultrasone headphones that S-Logic turned into a totaly different song for you?

I have found that all electronica that employs any binaural or ambient-recordings of live sound opens up and puts me "on-location" there so magically that it blows me away. It really is like experiencing magic! I have the Proline 750, but the effect of the S-Logic is the same. Really impressive when the recording uses what the S-Logic is intended to engage you with - true hearing, involving the whole ear, not that "headphone" in-the-head sound only.

Electronica is extremely fun with this S-Logic because the "electronic" part is with artificial ambiance (reverbs) which come across more like your listening to "normal headphones" - except when it doesn't - hard to describe - and when that mixes with live or binaural sounds that have all the phase info and delays and other stuff that your outer ear is used to picking up, letting the S-Logic really shine, the contrast is really remarkable!

Terry
750prolinebx3.png

Mar 21, 2007 at 11:36 AM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a conspiracy. All those people trying to get me to buy Ultrasones.
mad.gif

Then let me be of assistance and tell you, that for me the presentation was sometimes really good, but with most of my tracks it was kind of weird sometimes: sort of muted vocals (in the sense that the instruments were louder then with other cans), too extreme left to right seperation leaving a kind of hole between the left, right and middle.

Hope this helps
eggosmile.gif

Mar 21, 2007 at 11:45 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhymesgalore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then let me be of assistance and tell you, that for me the presentation was sometimes really good, but with most of my tracks it was kind of weird sometimes: sort of muted vocals (in the sense that the instruments were louder then with other cans), too extreme left to right seperation leaving a kind of hole between the left, right and middle.

Hope this helps
eggosmile.gif

It doesn't. It doesn't. I've got hardware crossfeed. Maybe I should look in to the K1000. That should help.

Mar 21, 2007 at 11:50 AM Post #7 of 24
I've currently been enjoying the remastered and expanded edition of The Cars' eponymous debut album.

B00000IL66.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Lots of panning across the channels with plenty of tiny electronic flourishes and details makes for riveting listening through the S-Logic soundstage. "Moving In Stereo" simply kills through my PROlines!
wink.gif

Another, more recent, S-Logic favorite has been Charlotte Gainsbourg's : 5:55, with production and music provided by ace French electro-pop duo Air.

B000GYHTJ0.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Chock-full of playful sonic surprises set against Charlotte's wispy voice, I characterized it on another thread as having such intimacy that it delivers the equivalent of an aural lapdance. Highly recommended!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2007 at 11:51 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting stuff. I have never heard 'Electronica'. Don't even know what it is.

From Google dictionary:
Electronica is a rather ambiguous term that covers a wide range of electronic or electronic-influenced music. The term has been defined by some to mean modern electronic music that is not necessarily designed for the dance-floor, but rather for home listening. The origins of the term are murky, although it appears to have been coined by British music paper Melody Maker in the mid-1990s, originally to describe the electronic rock band Republica. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronica

I definitely include dance music with the term, the way I think of and listen to it. For nice samples:

http://www.hbr1.com - any of their current shows

Radio ABF and others here: http://edmradio.com/

http://somafm.com - especially Space Station Soma and Groove Salad

That should get you going!

Terry
750prolinebx3.png

Mar 21, 2007 at 11:52 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It doesn't. It doesn't. I've got hardware crossfeed. Maybe I should look in to the K1000. That should help.

I've got an Meier Amp. Didn't help at all....

Mar 21, 2007 at 12:01 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Hope this helps
eggosmile.gif

Quote:

I've got an Meier Amp. Didn't help at all....

And the name of the thread is what, again?
S-Logic Eargasim moment

If you had a different kind of experience with the S-Logic, nonetheless, what music did work for you? When?

For me, none of that experience is my own - anywhere, at any time. Different hearing, different brains, different levels of enjoyment, and possibly different music. The presentation of vocals is how I like it. I can see some desiring the vocals to be more focussed, perhaps.

You must be hearing things that aren't there... *for me*! (a little joke referring to another thread...) I hear fantastic imaging throughout the huge soundstage, even forwards (distance) and backwards and behind me! Check out the binaural recordings links below in my sig with S-Logic to really hear the effect.

But, what you say might help someone who hears similarly to how you hear with the kinds of music you listen to most, which sounds like it is mixed mostly left-center-right. So, they may not work well for a lot of music out there, if the effect of extreme "centeredness" floating in a vast sea of emptiness between extreme left and right is distracting, I'll grant you that! I have some recordings where such a scenario can be a little like that, and for me a narrower sound stage is then preferable, like with my Shure E4c's, or just using speakers.

Most of my music collection reflects my hobby interest in mixing, and possesses more production tricks and effects, with very full sound stages and all the holes filled with something at some time or another - and obviously I like the binaural and live X-Y mic types of recordings also. For those types of recordings like I tend to gravitate towards, the S-Logic is wonderful.

Terry
750prolinebx3.png

Mar 21, 2007 at 12:12 PM Post #11 of 24
Where it really worked was Classical music, although the Proline 650 really don't shine with that kind of music in general, there was just too much bass (although the treble was kind of nice, with just a thad too much harshness)

Where it was as funny as described was Rock/Pop of all kinds. It was difference from recording to recording, but i always prefered the presentation of my HD650: More compact in width, but also it felt much more as a unity.

With the Demo Cd it was really nice, so in general i can say, that that "pickyness" about how the recording was done, is really not my thing at all.

I'm buying cds because of the music, and not how the recording was done, so i need a good allrounder, in every aspect.

Mar 21, 2007 at 1:05 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Where it really worked was Classical music, although the Proline 650 really don't shine with that kind of music in general, there was just too much bass (although the treble was kind of nice, with just a thad too much harshness)

Where it was as funny as described was Rock/Pop of all kinds. It was difference from recording to recording, but i always prefered the presentation of my HD650: More compact in width, but also it felt much more as a unity.

With the Demo Cd it was really nice, so in general i can say, that that "pickyness" about how the recording was done, is really not my thing at all.

I'm buying cds because of the music, and not how the recording was done, so i need a good allrounder, in every aspect.

I can certainly understand from that point of view. For myself, since these are my primary headphones that I listen to all day and night (!) I've gotten used to the presentation so that they work for me that way now as all-arounders, but that is not everybody's situation (as they own more than one good pair) or need! They give me a lot of thrills, though!

I must hear a pair of these Sennheiser HD650's one day! They certainly seem to have something that pleases nearly everyone!

Terry
750prolinebx3.png

Mar 21, 2007 at 1:07 PM Post #13 of 24
I'm not sure binaural induced aurgasms should be limited to headphones implementing this S-Logic technology. Don't know what it is, or how it works, but I can say I've heard binaural recordings through several different headphones, none of which containing this technology, and they all still sounded like "magic" to me. I think it's simply the nature of the recording that makes it sound so amazing.

I believe there's a thread in the music forum dedicated to binaural recordings with many good links to sources. I heard one where a man simply crumples up tissue paper all around the microphone/aparatus and it literally gave me tingles all up and down my spine. Pin-point accuracy with direction and sometimes even distance can be deducted with a good binaural recording with any hi-fi level/grade headphone, ime.

Can some one try and explain how this "S-Logic" would react any differently to this type of recording?

Mar 21, 2007 at 1:23 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by khbaur330162 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure binaural induced aurgasms should be limited to headphones implementing this S-Logic technology. Don't know what it is, or how it works, but I can say I've heard binaural recordings through several different headphones, none of which containing this technology, and they all still sounded like "magic" to me. I think it's simply the nature of the recording that makes it sound so amazing.

I believe there's a thread in the music forum dedicated to binaural recordings with many good links to sources. I heard one where a man simply crumples up tissue paper all around the microphone/aparatus and it literally gave me tingles all up and down my spine. Pin-point accuracy with direction and sometimes even distance can be deducted with a good binaural recording with any hi-fi level/grade headphone, ime.

Can some one try and explain how this "S-Logic" would react any differently to this type of recording?

Coincidentally, that is my thread that I'm maintaining with submissions by others and has some recordings I made myself there as well. Of course, any headphones sound GREAT with binaural recordings!!! In fact, I really do not know why I haven't listened to the collection there with my Shure E4c's yet!! (link also in my sig below). Just addicted to these Proline 750's lately, I guess!

The S-Logic thing attempts to engage the pinnea (the outer ear folds) more and fires the sound from the front of the ear canal (the drivers are literally mounted forwards of center) delivering sound more like we are used to hearing sound come into our ear canal naturally, rather than directly into the ear canal like many headphones do. This forward driver is the primary difference, as the pinnea is similarly engaged in many circumaural headphone designs (those that cover over the ear entirely, both open and closed designs). The S-Logic, by employing both techniques, does enhance the binaural effect - most astonishingly hearing from the back of you! Different musical and sound recordings seem to need a little adjustment of the earcup forward or backwards to heighten the effect - I theorize it is due to microphone height changing the phase angle of the incoming sound, but that's just a theory based upon a series of classical recordings I own (Living Library series on SACD) which are different from one to another depending on the year of recording, and were all recorded by the same team of engineers.

I'm sure that over-answers your question, so I'll stop now. Feel free to ask for more info at the binaural thread itself, too! It's a sticky thread always at the top of the Music Forums listings now, thanks to many requests.

Terry
750prolinebx3.png

Mar 21, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #15 of 24
Primus Pork Soda the whole album rocks but Wounded Knee is really fun.

Gorillaz Demon Days is another complete album done right for the Ultras.

The Johhny Cash album done by Rick Ruben is simply stellar.

I'll post others I need to go now bye!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back