S:flo2 impressions thread
Aug 23, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #2,341 of 3,682
Actually, iTunes on a Mac is incredibly efficient.  The difference between iTunes on Macs and PCs is night and day.  I bet Jobs did that intentionally to screw people on PCs.  Thank goodness iTunes is worse than its competitors.  I find other problems w/ iTunes unrelated to performance though.  Ugh, I feel dirty after defending an Apple product, I need to take another shower and scrub down.  Yuck!  

Aug 24, 2010 at 7:25 AM Post #2,343 of 3,682
This player is simply just a drag and drop player, you do not need to use any music management software for it it just shows up like a usb drive on your pc.

Aug 24, 2010 at 8:39 AM Post #2,344 of 3,682
Following on from my earlier post and the recent discussion: I am a lifelong Mac user, and wouldn't dream of having a Windows PC at home. Also wouldn't dream of ever using iTunes. Don't like it, don't need it.

My music management tool? Finder!

Aug 24, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #2,345 of 3,682
Wow, a Mac user without iTunes? For me, every song is played through iTunes..It's hard not to be associated with iTunes at this point isn't it? 

I'm familiar with S:Flo2's type of interface -- drag and drop. But I'd like to find something similar to iTunes without being a memory hog..

Aug 24, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #2,346 of 3,682

Quote:
Wow, a Mac user without iTunes? For me, every song is played through iTunes..It's hard not to be associated with iTunes at this point isn't it? 

I'm familiar with S:Flo2's type of interface -- drag and drop. But I'd like to find something similar to iTunes without being a memory hog..

No, it's not hard at all! Free yourself from the tyrrany of iTunes! Do it today!

Aug 24, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #2,348 of 3,682

Quote:

I've been using media monkey; I think it's alright; great for playing music and synching files. I'd look at Foobar too although I don't know how the library integration is on it. 

Aug 24, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #2,349 of 3,682
Well, for a Mac user, Media Monkey is a no-go simply because they haven't released an official version for a Mac. I'd hate to use Parallels to load up Media Monkey though -- music sounds bad this way for some reason..

Well, I'd like to stop using iTunes as well, but so far haven't found any worthy successor to this otherwise effective music management system..

Aug 25, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #2,350 of 3,682

Quote:
Well, for a Mac user, Media Monkey is a no-go simply because they haven't released an official version for a Mac. I'd hate to use Parallels to load up Media Monkey though -- music sounds bad this way for some reason..

Well, I'd like to stop using iTunes as well, but so far haven't found any worthy successor to this otherwise effective music management system..

Seriously you can  just drag and drop the music it really is not that big of a pain to just treat the sflo:2 as a usb drive

Aug 25, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #2,351 of 3,682

Quote:
Seriously you can  just drag and drop the music it really is not that big of a pain to just treat the sflo:2 as a usb drive

I don't think he's going to be too happy w/ the manual folder and playlist management.  If you are then for the love of god please just throw the files on the card.  
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 26, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #2,353 of 3,682
I'm sure this issue has been noted several times ...but that's why we have DIY FW hackers...

I don't want (never use) any portable player's native file-mgmt options. I create file-containing folders (directories) on my PC, and upload them onto all my DAPs/PMPs. COWON and Apple are both brands that I have used and offer GAPLESS playback of files in the folders I upload.

When I rec'd my Teclast/MP4Nation DAP, I uploaded Directory-based folders (which contain mostly FLAC files). I am hugely bothered by Teclast/MP4Nation DAP's apparent lack of GAPLESS playback.  Despite repeated requests, I don't think this DAP can still do GAPLESS.

Questions for Teclast/MP4Nation FW programmers: Is adding GAPLESS to this DAP difficult? I'm guessing the native BIOS (or OS) does not support it -- or is it a hardware (chip) issue?

Aug 26, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #2,354 of 3,682

Quote:
I'm sure this issue has been noted several times ...but that's why we have DIY FW hackers...

I don't want (never use) any portable player's native file-mgmt options. I create file-containing folders (directories) on my PC, and upload them onto all my DAPs/PMPs. COWON and Apple are both brands that I have used and offer GAPLESS playback of files in the folders I upload.

When I rec'd my Teclast/MP4Nation DAP, I uploaded Directory-based folders (which contain mostly FLAC files). I am hugely bothered by Teclast/MP4Nation DAP's apparent lack of GAPLESS playback.  Despite repeated requests, I don't think this DAP can still do GAPLESS.

Questions for Teclast/MP4Nation FW programmers: Is adding GAPLESS to this DAP difficult? I'm guessing the native BIOS (or OS) does not support it -- or is it a hardware (chip) issue?

Before gapless is added I would simply like proper ID tag reading so I do not have to use the browse by directory option. I want gapless to but with this player the gap is not that distracting and there are ALOT of players out that currently do not do gapless. The ID tag issue is a much bigger problem that almost all players get right the first time.

Aug 26, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #2,355 of 3,682
I think someone somewhere said one of the main problems with this stuff is that the Rockchip used in the S:Flo2 has virtually no documentation or stuff available for it that would help. Obviously people have made front-end themes for the player but I haven't seen anyone go deeper than that. At a guess the Chinese Teclast forums might have a better answer, but the language is alien to me haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back