S:flo2 impressions thread
Aug 21, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #2,327 of 3,682

Quote:
Again ,how can the opamp be a buffer (i.e passive) to no current out ,surely it would amplify i.e be an active output stage unless the dac had a push/pull output??

Dunno if DAC out push/pull. See datasheet fig. 26. Opamps should be unity-gain (so no amplification if set up that way -- it's just a filter/buffer).
BTW, does anyone know which of the WM DAC's two internal digital filters -- sharp or slow roll-off -- Teclast/MP4Nation selected for their DAP?

Aug 21, 2010 at 8:48 AM Post #2,328 of 3,682
Anaxilus,

I hate to bother you, but can you provide more detail as to how you used the download posted by hsy4you to upgrade the firmware using windows 7. I downloaded the file you all quote but I can't figure out how to use it. Certainly any advice you can give will be highly appreciated, and the more explicit your instructions the easier it might be for me (somewhat computer-using delayed) to actually successfully use windows 7 for this v2.3 and future upgrades.  Thanks so much for your help.

One more thing to those of you trying to use windows vista OS to upgrade to v2.3.  Be careful that the upgrade process completes both major files (using the black and blue Teclast download from the Russian site). My experience with the vista system is that about half the time, only the 1st portion (~180 kb file) uploads on the player and you don't get the second smaller file (~10 kb).  If you only get the larger file , the sflo2 will still register as having v2.3 but the sound quality seems to be off and I can't get the player to work with Media Monkey.  If you get both files, then all works well. I've had no real difficulties using vista to reload the sflo2 v2,2. 

Aug 21, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #2,329 of 3,682

Quote:
Anaxilus,

I hate to bother you, but can you provide more detail as to how you used the download posted by hsy4you to upgrade the firmware using windows 7. I downloaded the file you all quote but I can't figure out how to use it. Certainly any advice you can give will be highly appreciated, and the more explicit your instructions the easier it might be for me (somewhat computer-using delayed) to actually successfully use windows 7 for this v2.3 and future upgrades.  Thanks so much for your help.

One more thing to those of you trying to use windows vista OS to upgrade to v2.3.  Be careful that the upgrade process completes both major files (using the black and blue Teclast download from the Russian site). My experience with the vista system is that about half the time, only the 1st portion (~180 kb file) uploads on the player and you don't get the second smaller file (~10 kb).  If you only get the larger file , the sflo2 will still register as having v2.3 but the sound quality seems to be off and I can't get the player to work with Media Monkey.  If you get both files, then all works well. I've had no real difficulties using vista to reload the sflo2 v2,2. 

Sure thing as simply as I can put it.

1-Download and install the x64 USB driver.  Don't proceed further until the Pc recognizes the Sflo2 as RKUSB or something like that.
2-Download and install the 1.22 app.
3-Download your chosen FW (BnB, simple, etc.)
4-Follow Routine 2 on the MP4 forum.  I think its 2-3 steps.  From memory hit IDE to load the FW into the installer.  I think you skip the 'switch' button since you have the USB driver installed.  Don't think it even is selectable.  Hit upload and let it do its thing.  I forgot to change the .ini to engrish so I just used faith at that point.  
5-I never had to reformat anything.  To be safe I shutdown my PC and DC'd the player.  Powered it off and on and verified it works fine.

Edit-you might need to download an extractor for the .7z zip file.

Hope that helps.

Aug 21, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #2,330 of 3,682
My cases have arrived, however it's just starting to get dark and it's already overcast and miserable here to so pictures will suck. I'll take some this evening in the kitchen since the lights are fairly white.

Aug 21, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #2,331 of 3,682
The cases are so well made, it shocked me.

I have the brown one and the black, both smell strongly of leather, I don't know whether they've been sprayed or they are real leather?

Tom.

Aug 21, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #2,332 of 3,682
Yeah it reeks!

I ordered all 3 cases mainly just because I couldn't choose, although since I want the Headstage Arrow HE, it's dimensions match the cases fairly well, so I could protect that too and join two cases together.

They're well-made as far as the stitching, materials and logos go. One thing I did notice straight out the box is although all three cases fit the player nicely, the black one and brown, although identical bar colour, vary in tightness. The black one really needs a push to get in, although leather stretches out a little. The rough brown one is the loosest fit, but that's to be expected as it has the cutaways the other two don't. All three fit snugly though. The holes at the other end are useful for pushing the player out, saving you from the pinch/pull you get with a lot of slip pouches.

I took a bunch of pictures with my 3GS, don't expect epic picture quality! Note, I put the player in top-first in the smooth cases and bottom-first with the rough one in order to show you that you can still use the HO and volume (if you're using it without an amp, this'd be good if you worried about the volume somehow getting moved in your pocket).

Overall I'm happy considering how cheap they were, they don't add to the footprint too much, protect from scratches and they look nice.

Pics here, I'll resize if they're too big:

One for show

But yeah, happy overall.

Aug 21, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #2,333 of 3,682
Exactly my experience Somnambulist, my suede soft leather one is slightly looser than brown leather one, but not so loose that the player will slip out.

Overall, great quality for the money.

Tom.

Aug 23, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #2,335 of 3,682

Quote:
Hey, I'm ready to jump on the s:flo2 bandwagon, but I have 1 last question: does this work with a Mac and itunes?

Someone on the mp4nation forums got it to work with a mac, I'm sure it is going to be no dice with Itunes as it simply just maps a drive to the pc.

Aug 23, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #2,336 of 3,682

Yep, works fine with Mac, internal flash and micro SD show up as two separate drives in Finder.

You can't do any software update with Mac or any Unix box though.

I don't use iTunes myself so couldn't comment on that, but I really wouldn't recommend it.

Quote:
Hey, I'm ready to jump on the s:flo2 bandwagon, but I have 1 last question: does this work with a Mac and itunes?

Aug 23, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #2,338 of 3,682
Ah..That means I can't sync the player with iTunes? That's quite a dealbreaker for Mac users isn't it? I'm looking for a player that works well with iTunes and Mac, but isn't an Apple brand. I'm getting kinda tired of being stuck with iPods..

I am running a windows 7 on Parallels, but am just too lazy to run these two OSes at the same time..

Aug 23, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #2,339 of 3,682

Quote:
Ah..That means I can't sync the player with iTunes? That's quite a dealbreaker for Mac users isn't it? I'm looking for a player that works well with iTunes and Mac, but isn't an Apple brand. I'm getting kinda tired of being stuck with iPods..

I am running a windows 7 on Parallels, but am just too lazy to run these two OSes at the same time..

Why would you want to ditch iPods and keep iTunes?  Just copy your music folder to a new player.  iTunes is the number one reason to ditch iPods IMO.

Aug 23, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #2,340 of 3,682

Quote:

Quote:
Why would you want to ditch iPods and keep iTunes?  Just copy your music folder to a new player.  iTunes is the number one reason to ditch iPods IMO.

^This. iTunes is a data hog and quite frankly I hate it. I only use it to download podcasts now and every time I open it my entire computer slows down. Granted I'm using a netbook but when I can run MediaMonkey (what I use to manage/play my music), watch a video and surf the net AND have better performance than iTunes itself, something's wrong. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back