S:flo2 impressions thread
Jul 10, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #1,922 of 3,682

Quote:
Finally got around to listening to my setup of S:flo2 -> iBasso P3+ -> Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm. It sounds freaking awesome! Never heard a player that puts out such a clear balanced sound. I can definitely hear the difference between the HO and LO and to my ears its quite pronounced, much more than a slight difference. The LO has a much wider spacial sound stage to my ears with better detail and definition retrieval. The HO sounds a bit dull to my ears in comparison to the LO, also using the DT990 with HO produces less bass and treble is cut off whereas LO is extremely balanced. There are other aspects I can't describe really well, like the sound from LO really feels energetic, lively and punchy but the HO sounded dull and boring for me. These results are specific to my phones though as I haven't compared other phones yet. Final verdict for me is that I find the LO far ahead of the HO, I will definitely be dragging around my portable amp with the sflo2.

Another note is that FLAC is a must if using the LO, with the HO I noticed that I could use high bitrate mp3 and get away with it as the detail and flaws weren't as pronounced as the LO, but using the LO everything but Flac (and lossless in general) sounded crap. Its worth it though, the sound it produced with flac + LO was simply breathtaking for me!

I also use a flat EQ mostly but I have to say the PlayFx 3D sounds very nice to my ears but like all the other EQ adjustment profiles it can distort a bit in the very high frequencies (its mostly fine) I'll probably use it anyway as I find it improves soundstage a tad, this is the first time I have ever been impressed by a EQ enhancer thingy whatever you call em, on any player :)

I really love this player, best sound I've ever heard from a portable, period (from LO), I reckon the HO sounds kinda ordinary really... (only after listening to the LO) The HO is still very good and it has better detail than most daps, but it could do better in the sound stage and balance department.

Sorry I only compared HO and LO, but it simply wasn't worth comparing the sound of the sflo2 to any other player I've heard in my life as the sflo2 + LO trumps everything I've ever heard and by a fair margin.

I love listening to my S:Flo 2 as well. But as a person that once read this thread (deciding whether or not to purchase the S:Flo 2) I ask you one question. If you are to say that the S:Flo 2 is better than anything else you have heard, please state what else you have heard. If you have this stuff shown in your community profile or in your signature, you can ignore this request.

I'm sure this will help potential buyers.

Jul 11, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #1,923 of 3,682

Quote:
Finally got around to listening to my setup of S:flo2 -> iBasso P3+ -> Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm. It sounds freaking awesome! Never heard a player that puts out such a clear balanced sound. I can definitely hear the difference between the HO and LO and to my ears its quite pronounced, much more than a slight difference. The LO has a much wider spacial sound stage to my ears with better detail and definition retrieval. The HO sounds a bit dull to my ears in comparison to the LO, also using the DT990 with HO produces less bass and treble is cut off whereas LO is extremely balanced. There are other aspects I can't describe really well, like the sound from LO really feels energetic, lively and punchy but the HO sounded dull and boring for me. These results are specific to my phones though as I haven't compared other phones yet. Final verdict for me is that I find the LO far ahead of the HO, I will definitely be dragging around my portable amp with the sflo2.

Another note is that FLAC is a must if using the LO, with the HO I noticed that I could use high bitrate mp3 and get away with it as the detail and flaws weren't as pronounced as the LO, but using the LO everything but Flac (and lossless in general) sounded crap. Its worth it though, the sound it produced with flac + LO was simply breathtaking for me!

I also use a flat EQ mostly but I have to say the PlayFx 3D sounds very nice to my ears but like all the other EQ adjustment profiles it can distort a bit in the very high frequencies (its mostly fine) I'll probably use it anyway as I find it improves soundstage a tad, this is the first time I have ever been impressed by a EQ enhancer thingy whatever you call em, on any player :)

I really love this player, best sound I've ever heard from a portable, period (from LO), I reckon the HO sounds kinda ordinary really... (only after listening to the LO) The HO is still very good and it has better detail than most daps, but it could do better in the sound stage and balance department.

Sorry I only compared HO and LO, but it simply wasn't worth comparing the sound of the sflo2 to any other player I've heard in my life as the sflo2 + LO trumps everything I've ever heard and by a fair margin.

Im pleased some others have noticed this differance between lo and ho ,its a massive differance as well ,the phillips chip just dosnt do it ,

Jul 11, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #1,924 of 3,682

Quote:

Im pleased some others have noticed this differance between lo and ho ,its a massive differance as well ,the phillips chip just dosnt do it ,

I notice a difference I just happen to be one of the few that prefers the HO to the LO. For me the LO is to loud to easily pair with a portable amp and it is to bright and sterile for my tastes. The HO for me has a warmer more natural analog sound signature that I prefer.

Jul 11, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #1,927 of 3,682

Quote:

This is good comparison between HO and LO.

I like to know if LO has better layers of instrument or dynamic ? PO layer of instrument is lack of depth in my opinion which I think it is one of flaws from S:FLO, so as instrument separation during heavy traffic. There is some minor stuff, instrument reproduction and treble/ mid problem I won't go into here

I don't want to scare people off and I have to confess I am picky about detail. Overall, it is amazing to see such a quality player with low price to offer to audiophile to try with
atsmile.gif

Jul 11, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #1,928 of 3,682
I've listened to ...

Samsungs: T10, P2, P3, M1, and Q2.
Cowons: S9, J3, i9 and E2
iRiver: SPINN, E100, P7
Sansa: View, Clip, Clip+
Philips: GoGear Cam,  GoGear Muse, SA5245BT
Apple: Touch1G, Touch2G, Nano3G, Nano4G, Nano5G
Zune: 16, 80, HD
Memorex: MMP8000
ViewSonic: VPD400
Creative: Zii Egg, X-Fi2, ZEN 4gb 
Latte: Cafe, Espresso, iVu:
Haier: HV3A-4G, IBIZA 80gb
Coby: MP837, MP835
Ematic: EM308VID
Sylvania: SMPK8854
HippStreet: HS-3245
Archos: 5it, 3 Vision, 7 Home, 9 Tablet
Insignia NS-8V24
MintPass: MintPad
Sony X1051, Z-S545
RCA Lyra Slider SL500B
Jensen SMPV-4GBTA

... and a 1/2 dozen others I can't seem to find right now.

My Sflo:
-  has far from the best UI. 
-  does NOT have the best codec support. 
-  has the only LO port on-board of my collection.
-  Is the "best sounding" device of my collection, thru that LO port.

Best Sounding relates only to my 53yr old musically trained ears, using any of the better earphones I have to choose from.  Sennheiser HD 595s are my favorites at the moment.  

4D

Quote:

... Please state what else you have heard. If you have this stuff shown in your community profile or in your signature, you can ignore this request. 

Jul 11, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #1,929 of 3,682
^ that's an impressive list of devices 4D Thinker.  Why have you tried so many? Is there something wrong with you? Are you an impatient person?

Given your experience, can you please tell me on a scale of one to ten (10 being most often), how regularly I would want to smash the S:Flo2 with a hammer in red-faced frustration, were I to get one? This is a very important consideration when buying personal music players, as I would like to make my life less stressful ideally, not more.

Thanks.

Jul 11, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #1,930 of 3,682

Quote:

I like to know if LO has better layers of instrument or dynamic ? PO layer of instrument is lack of depth in my opinion which I think it is one of flaws from S:FLO, so as instrument separation during heavy traffic. There is some minor stuff, instrument reproduction and treble/ mid problem I won't go into here

I don't want to scare people off and I have to confess I am picky about detail. Overall, it is amazing to see such a quality player with low price to offer to audiophile to try with
atsmile.gif

The LO is amazing and sounds a lot better than the HO depending on how good your amp is. Using an Rx the music sounds a lot cleaner, a lot stronger, and when using the LO busy passages such as orchestras or other classical pieces sound a lot clearer.

Jul 11, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #1,931 of 3,682
The only frustration I have with the SFlo2 is in trying to find a song in a long list.  If you're short tempered and keep a hammer handy I suggest you try the Jensen on my list.  Easily the worst device I've come across.
angry_face.gif

As for why so many?  I started out simply looking for something better than the iPod Touch. I'd write a review of each for my blog, mainly to help others considering the device.  Money isn't an issue, so If I see something interesting or cheap I'll pick it up to evaluate and share.  The devices I get the most comments on are ones no-one else bother to review and Walmart/Kmart/Walgreens sells. Generally there is a reason they are inexpensive.  I like the Samsung P2/P3/M1 for great UIs and clever use of touchscreen capabilities. The Cowons have good codec support and gapless play.  The J3 is the gem in that collection. I bought the Sflo2 based on it's mention here, to see if any of the expressed opinions were true.  The Line-Out quality using flac versions of my favorite songs reveals details I was completely un-aware of listening to the same songs on any other player in my collection.  I'm not even sure if I trust it yet, so I'm not going to review it until I've spent some thorough/range of music/side-by-side-with-other player  time with it.

4D
Quote:

Given your experience, can you please tell me on a scale of one to ten (10 being most often), how regularly I would want to smash the S:Flo2 with a hammer in red-faced frustration, were I to get one? This is a very important consideration when buying personal music players, as I would like to make my life less stressful ideally, not more.

Thanks.

Jul 11, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #1,933 of 3,682

Quote:

I notice a difference I just happen to be one of the few that prefers the HO to the LO. For me the LO is to loud to easily pair with a portable amp and it is to bright and sterile for my tastes. The HO for me has a warmer more natural analog sound signature that I prefer.

If the Line Out is too loud, can't you just use a volume attenuator?

Or is it just a matter of craving that warm sound signature?

Jul 11, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #1,934 of 3,682

Quote:

If the Line Out is too loud, can't you just use a volume attenuator?

Or is it just a matter of craving that warm sound signature?

It's a combination of liking the warmer sound signature and being happy enough with the SQ to not want to carry around a portable amp. I liked my XM5 amp but the sound to me is such an improvement from my last portable setup I  just don't feel the need to use a portable amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back