S:flo2 impressions thread
Jun 6, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #1,396 of 3,682
Just posted this in the other thread: 

Quote:
Hey I want to ask which get better sounding, Cowon S9 or S:flo2?

Quote:
iPhone4G - I think it would be best to ask which has x signature and which has y signature. I think the whole 'better sounding' thing only gets more complicated by questions since everyone has a different answer. Some prefer this sound, some prefer that; others prefer the sound, any sound just doesn't come from one company, and that everything from y company is absolute grace, despite anything factual.

Maybe you should tell us what your requirements are for sound. What are you looking for and don't say stuff like 'silky midrange' as that will just lure fanbois from both camps to in charge their favourite platform. 

But does the s:flo2 or the S9 have a distinct sound signature? People post that the iPods sound somewhat tinny and some of the sony players are more full bodied but not so much about either the S9 or the s:flo2. I agree with what you're saying but with DAPs, how much of the player's "sound sig" really makes an impact? 

But to answer that question, on a flat setting the s:flo2 is better. The S9 does have a better equalizer and more functions to morph the sound if you want to change it. 

Jun 7, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #1,397 of 3,682
Both player uses Wolfson DAC,  s:flo2 uses WM8740 x 2 + BB2604,  S9 uses WM8750 with a dual opamp.   The general sound signature is like, nature and clean, with s:flo2 a bit fuller in the mid range. 

Jun 7, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #1,399 of 3,682
I would be more interested in the newer J3 vs the s:flo2 as they both seem pretty similar (more so than the S9 anyway).
Especially since I'm reading people saying they think the J3 sounds better than their S9. Which could in fact be hype, we'll wait and see.

From following this topic and the DAP section in general for quite some time I'd put my money on the s:flo2 for pure SQ not to mention it has a LO.
This being said they are both very different machines... It really depends if you value a better battery life, gappless playback(?), arguably better UI and smoother touch screen as well as a radio and other supposedly "nifty" features or would prefer a LO and saving a few coins.

Jun 7, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #1,400 of 3,682

Quote:
I would be more interested in the newer J3 vs the s:flo2 as they both seem pretty similar (more so than the S9 anyway).
Especially since I'm reading people saying they think the J3 sounds better than their S9. Which could in fact be hype, we'll wait and see.

From following this topic and the DAP section in general for quite some time I'd put my money on the s:flo2 for pure SQ not to mention it has a LO.
This being said they are both very different machines... It really depends if you value a better battery life, gappless playback(?), arguably better UI and smoother touch screen as well as a radio and other supposedly "nifty" features or would prefer a LO and saving a few coins.

Yeah, J3 vs S:flo2 will be interesting.. I wonder is there any thread for this..? If there is, maybe it will be very helpful. I heard S:flo2 got many error.. And its very annoying to me. So I re-consider, which should I take.
The new Cowon J3 or Nationite S:flo2..
Here it is Cowon J3 32 GB Edition: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170491273600
If you want to buy one :)
Dont forget to buy one for me :wink:

Jun 7, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #1,401 of 3,682
"I heard S:flo2 got many error"

I have read near all of the posts here and on mp4nation regarding the S:flo2 (waiting so long for batch 3) and I say this is not the case. there were firmware issues which have been mostly resolved with 2.2.   Finally just got my order updated  to "mailed out" after 2 months I hope its worth the wait or I might trade it in for a J3 or viliv p3 or next FotM although the J3 is double the price.

Jun 7, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #1,403 of 3,682

Quote:
Finally just got my order updated  to "mailed out" after 2 months

Woohoo!!!! Good times mate :) I'm comfortable now with my Sony x series (especially after I figured out how to get adult video content wirelessly streamed to the player, am having to watch my back at work!) but am looking forward to your impressions. Still might pick one of these babies up second hand.

Jun 7, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #1,404 of 3,682
I cannot even update my firmware. I don't have a Windows computer and VMware isn't working right with the T51 - won't recognise my player the way it is supposed to for driver updates. 2.0 works, but it sucks. Would be nice if they added a self-installing firmware ala Cowon where there is no need for computer OS. 

Jun 7, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #1,405 of 3,682

Quote:

I have read near all of the posts here and on mp4nation regarding the S:flo2 (waiting so long for batch 3) and I say this is not the case. there were firmware issues which have been mostly resolved with 2.2.   Finally just got my order updated  to "mailed out" after 2 months I hope its worth the wait or I might trade it in for a J3 or viliv p3 or next FotM although the J3 is double the price.

Yeah there are ALOT of unfounded issues that people keep repeating that are simply not true about this player. It's like everyone HEARD that this player has so many issues but no one who has used one ever talks about these so called major issues.

The firmware is fine, the player doesn't crash, freeze or have any real reproduceable problems. The firmware doesn't really have any bugs, certain things like the media library and the improper reading of ID tags for some reason were done on purpose, so it's not a bug just a stupid design decision.

Touch navigation is fine, make sure and set the scroll speed to 1 and then you will find touch movement and navigation is just as good as any apple product.

Jun 7, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #1,406 of 3,682
There are bugs, freezes but no crashes yet.  Saying that some of their issues are unfounded is also over the top.  This player isn't perfect.  The firmware does have issues, esp when you've used up most of the flash memory.

Jun 7, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #1,407 of 3,682

Quote:
Does this player utilize the drag and drop feature (I think it's called UMS?) and does it support OS X?

Yes. Drag and drop. I like to synch it with Media Monkey since it acts like a flash drive for a iTunes like music update. 

Quote:

I agree. I am using 2.0 and I have absolutely no problems whatsoever. No freezing, no crashing, and no glitches with me. 

Jun 7, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #1,409 of 3,682
The sole problem I have with the S:flo2 is the vendor itself. It has been more than 1 week since the announcement of the batch 3 players being in-stock, but my order is still in "processing" status.

I live in Hong Kong, where Mp4nation suppose to be and I placed my order way back on 3rd March. There should be enough time for them to "process" my order even according to the queue sequence.

I don't feel comfortable at all. Support ticket has been sent but I wonder if they will reply.

Jun 7, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #1,410 of 3,682

Quote:
The sole problem I have with the S:flo2 is the vendor itself. It has been more than 1 week since the announcement of the batch 3 players being in-stock, but my order is still in "processing" status.

I live in Hong Kong, where Mp4nation suppose to be and I placed my order way back on 3rd March. There should be enough time for them to "process" my order even according to the queue sequence.

I don't feel comfortable at all. Support ticket has been sent but I wonder if they will reply.

MP4nation has nothing to do with the fact that teclast the actual maker of the SFLO:2 ran out of parts and could not make enough players for the demand. Yeah it sucks that so many people had to wait but mp4nation does not manufacture the players and cannot help the fact that Teclast ran out of several of the parts required to make the SFLO:2.

Teclast should have seen the demand and gotten enough of the parts to make a constant supply of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back