S:flo2 impressions thread
May 5, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #1,066 of 3,682
Well, I was just gonna send it in to a head-fier, cost would be $150 (for diymod + modded cable), but the cost of the Mini3 would add to the cost...

The main problem I have is the stability of the firmware...I don't have a problem with swapping out SD cards or anything, I only have about 20 GB of 256-320kbps mp3 right now, with a little bit of flac mixed in. Assuming I get a 16 GB sd card, I'll still have a little bit of space before I have to worry about that. I'm used to the simplicity of iTunes and the automatic syncs, which is another plus for the iPod...

But the SQ of the s:flo2 just evens everything out..

May 6, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #1,067 of 3,682

Quote:
So the MP4Nation website shows these, and it doesn't say pre-order anymore...does that mean these are available and ready to ship? Or are they already spoken for through pre-orders?

I'm so conflicted as to whether I should go for the iMod + Mini3, or this for use with the IEMs I'm getting...(Fischer DBA-02)...

The 3rd batch of of sflo2s are being boxed and shipped now  (hopefully mine included). They have been delayed quite a while due to lack of parts and MP4nation  have a 200+ unit backlog to fill so I dont know what the ETA would be be if you ordered one today. I would imaginehowever that they are stocked up for new order due to the previous demand.

May 6, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #1,068 of 3,682

Quote:
hey I was just reading that the sflo 2 has problems connecting to windows 7 systems i have 64bit professional do i have to be concerned, if the sflo 2 doesn't work with my system any one think i can get a refund by sending it back?.

There are mixed reports with windows 7 (MP4nation forums), some say they have a few niggles but generally positive. I run windows 7 64bit and not really worried. TBH I dont think a refund would be possible unless the player was faulty rather than had OS issues but Raz did offer full refunds to anyone who changed thier minds in the preorder phase but thats now over so I dont know. There is is a firmware update limitation to XP but the new batch come with v2.0 (reported to be quite stable) so that wont be an issue for a while, I would just use a virtual machine or another system for updatest.

May 6, 2010 at 8:43 AM Post #1,069 of 3,682
Yeah I think the issues with OS they are referring to are upgrading the firmware on the device, this can be tricky and some people have had issues depending on OS. They say only XP works however I was able to upgrade from 1.10-->1.20-->2.00 on a Vista PC.

I don't think there is much issue at all just connecting the device to your pc so you can put music or video on it.

May 6, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #1,070 of 3,682
Well, I'm about to send my S:flo2 2nd batch for RMA. Unfortunately both HO and LO started acting up last week, and by this week both just stopped working. And the player started to freeze, which never happened before. mp4nation did mention that this is the first time they've heard such a case, so I guess it's just my bad luck :frowning2:

And just when the S:flo2 was starting to win me over......damn it feels like gonna be a looooong time before I get the s:flo2 back.....

May 6, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #1,071 of 3,682
Bummer but it seems at least that mp4nation is going to have them in stock from now on. On their message board they mentioned they ordered alot more than what the pre order were so they could keep some in stock at all times.

May 6, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #1,073 of 3,682

Quote:
Well, I was just gonna send it in to a head-fier, cost would be $150 (for diymod + modded cable), but the cost of the Mini3 would add to the cost...

The main problem I have is the stability of the firmware...I don't have a problem with swapping out SD cards or anything, I only have about 20 GB of 256-320kbps mp3 right now, with a little bit of flac mixed in. Assuming I get a 16 GB sd card, I'll still have a little bit of space before I have to worry about that. I'm used to the simplicity of iTunes and the automatic syncs, which is another plus for the iPod...

But the SQ of the s:flo2 just evens everything out..

I love the new layout!

If you bought one now it would run on the newer firmware, which is stable. As Swanlee said, the problems with the firmware on non-XP systems come from trying to upgrade it, which isn't an issue if you get a newer one, especially off MP4Nation as they are using the v2.0 firmware with the nice theme. It's even less of an issue if you just use a USB card reader and use drag and drop and only connect it to the computer to charge. I got this one as it has a lid, lol:
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c49/paulybobs/4f3cbaa2.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c49/paulybobs/8b38e832.jpg

I also got this to store my SD cards with, although I need some sort of case thing with a slot for it:
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c49/paulybobs/ceeefdab.jpg

I'm still waiting for my MicroSD but my plan is to simply arrange everything by: 
Folder for Artist > Albums by Artist  > Songs (using an "01 - first song" type naming system to ensure that everything gets played in the correct order)

Then browse by directory to make it as easy to live with as possible. Drag and drop is going to be quicker than iTunes to change things about if your sorting system is tidy, although if you've always done everything via iTunes it will take time to adjust.

As for the sound quality... well, I haven't got round to putting anything on the internal memory yet, especially stuff I'm very familiar with, but the previous owner left some music on there; Daft Punk's live album, some Sasha, some jazzy stuff e.t.c. so I did have something to listen to. I've only got some Super.Fi Pro5's and my only other sources I can compare the sound to are these, so I can't be much help saying how it sounds next to an iMod or a Sansa or whatever:
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c49/paulybobs/DSC02942.jpg

What I can say, and I apologise for my crappy review skills is that the S:flo2 sounds really, really good. I really need to spend more time with my own tunes, but from what I've heard so far, I essentially agree with the Headfonia review. The bass doesn't thump with my IEMs and no EQ'ing, but a quick tweak put a big smile on my face for anything that warrants a lot of low-end without intruding across the frequency spectrum in the way my Sony does (which now sounds honky and unrealistic - nay for mid-bass humps and no depth). I'd be interested to see how this changes with different IEMS/headphones, or using an amp. It's hard to describe but it feels a lot less 'digital' than either the Sony or the 3GS; like I'm listening to a solid piece of equipment. As said though I need to start putting all the stuff I'm familiar with on it, so I can really A/B it properly.

One thing I will add is that the jitter sound you get when the screen is on is rather annoying unless the song is in full swing. I set the screen to go off quickly but still, I'd be wanting to try an attenuator out of the LO for this reason, and I'll definitely be reading about portable amp synergy for the future, although it's such a leap up from the Sony I used for all my music that I'm sure I'll be happy for quite a while.

May 6, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #1,075 of 3,682
I use this to transfer my files, it is very tiny and also give much better transfer rates then plugging in the SFLO:2.

What I pretty much did was fill the internal 16GB with essential .flac audio and I currently have 2 16GB micro SD cards I swap newer stuff in and out with the micro sd cards. It will be nice once 32GB micro sd cards come down in price.

elago Mobile Nano II USB 2.0 microSDHC Flash Memory Card Reader

May 6, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #1,076 of 3,682
That's cute, mine will never leave my computer though and I have plenty of USB ports so size wasn't really a problem. I want to try and cobble together a pouch/case thing that will utilise the hole in the corner of the MicroSD card holder, so it's attached and acts as a pivot point, so when I want to change cards it just rotates out.

Yeah the cheapest I can find a 16GB card here is £25 for a PNY one, a Kingston one is £30. The Kingston 32GB is £90! I'll see how much I can get on the 8GB internal, which should help me work out how I'll go about filling the MicroSDs up; probably by genre or subgenre. I have to re-rip all my CDs first though!

Had another listen. I think I understand what people are talking about now when they say the presentation is 3D, and the word 'realism' springs to mind as well. I can't wait to throw a load of my own stuff on there, although right now I'm off to vote as it's election day.

May 6, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #1,077 of 3,682

Quote:
Had another listen. I think I understand what people are talking about now when they say the presentation is 3D, and the word 'realism' springs to mind as well. I can't wait to throw a load of my own stuff on there, although right now I'm off to vote as it's election day.

Absolutely. The soundstage on the s:flo2 is amazing. Using the LO and UM3Xs I get unparalleled instrument separation and an expansive soundstage. Far better than my Clip+.

May 6, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #1,078 of 3,682
Also if it sounds this good with SFP5s, I'm almost gurning with excitement over the improvement a jump to more top-tier universals will make. Those Earsonic SM3's seem the most tempting at the moment, given I can easily get them in the UK. Need to make a firm decision though (then start selling stuff off to pay for them)! 

Sweet sweet upgraditis!

May 6, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #1,079 of 3,682

Quote:
The 3rd batch of of sflo2s are being boxed and shipped now  (hopefully mine included). They have been delayed quite a while due to lack of parts and MP4nation  have a 200+ unit backlog to fill so I dont know what the ETA would be be if you ordered one today. I would imaginehowever that they are stocked up for new order due to the previous demand.

Thanks! I'll try to email them and see about how long it would take, appreciate the help!

Quote:
Also if it sounds this good with SFP5s, I'm almost gurning with excitement over the improvement a jump to more top-tier universals will make. Those Earsonic SM3's seem the most tempting at the moment, given I can easily get them in the UK. Need to make a firm decision though (then start selling stuff off to pay for them)! 

Sweet sweet upgraditis!

Hey, thanks for your posts...I do know the 64-bit versions of Windows have problems updating firmware, but I am sure I can get access to an XP or 32-bit machine if need be, but if the firmware is already okay, then I probably don't need to worry about it (though I thought they released 2.10, does the s:flo2 ship with 2.0 or 2.10, do you happen to know?). It's funny you mention organizing the music files, I literally spent 10 hours yesterday creating a new music folder on my computer which now has every single song in my library in this one folder, separated by artist and album...so if it's just drag-and-drop, that would be amazing...

For now, I may just get a 16GB SD card and leave the internal memory blank, and then fill it up later if support for Windows 7 64 comes around...I'd rather not bother hooking it up unless necessary. Originally, I was planning to get a Mac, but I got a ridiculous deal on a Lenovo, so I had to go with it, otherwise this whole thing would be moot. I guess now all I have to decide is which model to get 2/8/16GB...If I get an 8GB + 16 GB SD card, I'll have 24 GB for the same price as the 16GB model....but of course later on, I'll be giving up some memory...I'll probably have to spring for the 16GB, but I really don't want to.....

May 6, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #1,080 of 3,682
Seriously guys, I will only suggest gettin the 16GB. Don't ever buy anything lower if you can afford it. Unless you don't care about the Bit Rate of your files, and I know us headfiers do.

With the S:flo2, I can clearly hear the 3D and the timber of all the instruments in 320s. However, using FLAC simply makes all the sense in thw world with this player. Think of it this way, you will have to deal with all the annoyance of the UI, not so accurate touch screen,(at least nothing like 3GS) and most likely, many headfiers will want to use a portable amp.

So, after going through all the hassles, you will find using FLAC really makes sense. Unless you will carry a bunch of 16GB and 32GB Micro SDs. 16GB Micro SDs will not hold a lot. If you guys are not willing to spend extra $$ on 16gb S:flo2, I doubt any of you guys are willing to spend an arm and a leg on 32gb Micro SD.

As for those that don't have a really huge music libary already, I am sure after hearing what this player can do, you will wanna get more new music in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back