S:flo2 impressions thread
May 3, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #1,036 of 3,682
A question about the S:Flo2's line out. It is ofcourse better than the Headphone-out.

Is there anyway to utilize the line out with a volume control? Something like a Fiio E1 except without an amp. Just a cheap fix to get it's line out with a volume control somehow?

May 3, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #1,037 of 3,682
I also find the line out much better ,ive heard it said dont bother with a budget amp as the ho is so good but the caffine ultra sounds great through the line out ,having said that its the same AD8397 opamp as the arrow (as is the mini3?) and even the maker says the sound cannot be improved witout changing to class A (tried to get some feedback on this subject with no luck in portable amp section)

May 3, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #1,040 of 3,682
There is modification project in Russia.
OPA2604->AD8620
TDA1308->AD8397
and some more minor changes.

Headphone out is as good as line out since.

May 3, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #1,041 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteBear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is modification project in Russia.
OPA2604->AD8620
TDA1308->AD8397
and some more minor changes.

So someone is going to mod the SFLO:2? If so that may be a pretty good upgrade even though it sounds great as is. Are they going to mod units and sell them or to your send in your SFLO:2 to have it modded? Or is it just someone trying to do it with no plans of doing any other units?

Any links to the project status?

May 3, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #1,042 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by TrumpOrMonkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A question about the S:Flo2's line out. It is ofcourse better than the Headphone-out.

Is there anyway to utilize the line out with a volume control? Something like a Fiio E1 except without an amp. Just a cheap fix to get it's line out with a volume control somehow?

A couple of people in this thread used an extension cable with a volume control I believe, although I don't immediately know what page it was.

May 3, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #1,043 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by swanlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So someone is going to mod the SFLO:2? If so that may be a pretty good upgrade even though it sounds great as is. Are they going to mod units and sell them or to your send in your SFLO:2 to have it modded? Or is it just someone trying to do it with no plans of doing any other units?

Any links to the project status?

It is not clear yet.
There are one modifyed SFLO:2
And not much info.
They say it is plaing with Sennheiser HD650 with no problem.

May 3, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #1,044 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by Somnambulist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A couple of people in this thread used an extension cable with a volume control I believe, although I don't immediately know what page it was.

I tried it. I hear overload and distortion.

May 3, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #1,045 of 3,682
Well I got a fiio e5 which has volume control and it's a small amp do you think that'll work with the line out?. I hear so much the line out has great sound but if you have to buy like a 100-300$ amp that's way to much lol I'd rather just listen to the degraded sound from the HP plugin, then listen to my speakers on my audigy x-fi 24 bit 96khz playback.
o2smile.gif

May 3, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #1,046 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteBear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried it. I hear overload and distortion.

really? what kind of cable did u use?
I would like to use lineout, but didnt considered to buy Fiio F5 as an sufficient amp for such DAP .....

May 3, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #1,047 of 3,682
anyway the opamp replace mod looks pretty serious

May 3, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #1,048 of 3,682
You need a really good amp to use with this DAP, hooking up a lower priced amp would just downgrade the SQ. You also need an amp with a low gain setting as the LO is very loud.

The LO is to loud for me to use my 350$ XM5 portable amp.

That being said make sure you actually need an amp, I found that I really didn't need an amp with this player as it sound great just using the HO and can fully power my Hippo VB IEM's with a lot of room to spare.

so for me anyway I just carry around my IEM's and the player, makes things a lot simpler not having to deal with an external amp.

May 3, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #1,049 of 3,682
hmmmm well I will take your word for it and not use my ghetto amp on the line out lol, I'll try anyways lol. I can't wait til I get my player my 16gb sd card should arrive her before it i'm thinking but i heard on april 30 from one of the mp4nation admins that it should be in stock next week and sunday was the last of presale but it's still up was this admin ill in formed?. here's the link to what he said MP4 Nation Forums • View topic - I want a S-flo 2 but Do I preorder now or later?

May 3, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #1,050 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by swanlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need a really good amp to use with this DAP, hooking up a lower priced amp would just downgrade the SQ. You also need an amp with a low gain setting as the LO is very loud.

The LO is to loud for me to use my 350$ XM5 portable amp.

That being said make sure you actually need an amp, I found that I really didn't need an amp with this player as it sound great just using the HO and can fully power my Hippo VB IEM's with a lot of room to spare.

so for me anyway I just carry around my IEM's and the player, makes things a lot simpler not having to deal with an external amp.

I thought the same thing until I bought my Rx. I thought, "Hey, the player gives out more than enough power, I don't need an amp." I saved up some money and bought the Rx. As soon as I plugged it in I was blown away. The amp needs 25 hours of burn in but once you burn it in, it sounds amazing. Very neutral, and brings out the best in the phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back