S:flo2 impressions thread
Apr 15, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #856 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, JH13Pro, ACS T1, CT6, and the Earsonics EM3Pro - the Jerry Harvey are in some ways the least sensitive. When music is playing, I doubt you'd be bothered by it. I am because my ear is very sensitive. The iPod hisses less, but the S:Flo T50 isn't bad; it is probably on par with a Cowon D2 if not a bit more. iPods (current ones) tend to hiss the least of any players, so take the fact that the S:Flo hisses more as heftily as you would a pillow - it is simply par for the course.

The warbling in the background is steady unlike the Rocoo, so it becomes the background, but who knows.

The JH16Pro is probably as good a choice as the JH13Pro is for a lot of applications and just won't hiss much.

So far, I really like it, but am not ready to place an crowns on its head or anywhere above its shoulders.

I do not think that warble effect is constant. I noticed it at first and then put on several tracks with complete silence during the song and the warble was not there. I only hear the warble at the very beginning or very end of SOME tracks but not all of them even in that scenario.

I also do not hear any actual hiss like you get from some cheap portable amps or some players. The only artifacts I hear in the background is the slight warble you described but no hiss at all using my Hippo VB's which have pretty extended treble.

Teclast has said the warble is due to a voltage step up when the screen is on but I think it happens even when the screen is off.

So I would say it is a slight issue with the warble but from my tests it actually is not constant during the music and there is no actual hissing from the HO.

The issue of warble does not happen with the LO. But even with the warble at the beginning and end of some tracks I still prefer the HO to the LO as the LO is to loud and to cold to pair with my XM5 amp or to plug in directly with my IEM's.

Apr 15, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #857 of 3,682
There is definite warble throughout the song - and is quite evident at low volumes, but since I listen at low volumes, I hear it. It does come stronger (hugely strong) when the screen is on or maybe when songs change, but I spend about 30 minutes with my sensitive iems just to hear anything.

If you don't hear it, that is great and you are lucky. I do. It is a constant rolling/ticking sound which never goes off, but it isn't overly loud. when the screen is on, it is very loud however.

I've not yet used the LO, but I intend to with a few of my amps. Excited to try things out.

Again, hiss is an issue for those who hate hiss. I am one. If you don't hear it, then it isn't an issue for you which is sweet!

I've also ordered a Clip+, so I should be able to compare them soon (hopefully), but honestly, I prefer it to my Fuze, but I am quite harsh on the Fuze. With rockbox, it is a good player, but I prefer sharper treble and upper mids and the Fuze somehow is, for lack of a better term, 'grainy'.

I won't consider the S:Flo a bargain necessarily, but for a large player, it is good and does a decent job of powering large headphones and though a bit of hiss for sensitive earphones, not bad at all. The warble is again, only annoying to people like me who've not had that in their primary players before and who are sensitive to hiss and artefacts.

I'm sure you'll love it!

Apr 15, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #858 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by swanlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It works pretty well but you are not going to get rockbox EQ functionality on any DAP that can't be rockboxed. The closest to rockbox EQ functionality from a DAP out of the box are the Cowon's which has alot of EQ features.

I keep hearing that; I keep mulling over picking up a Cowon, just for giggles.

Drives me nuts that Rockbox *gives away* better firmware than ANY portable provides, at ANY price. You think someone would guess that people running high-quality audio on high-quality portable equipment would want more than the lazy swill that passes as industry standard.

Apr 15, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #859 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo
I've not yet used the LO, but I intend to with a few of my amps.

I'll definitely be looking forward to your LO impressions. The way I see it is, even if I'm not 100% satisfied with the S:Flo2 (let's say compared to a 1G Touch or Clip+), I'm sure it's powerful LO will work nicely for my car's system and a future high end portable amp (Pico/TTVJ Slim) -- I currently have the Go Vibe Petite.

I'm also under the impression that it may actually top the iMod's LO SQ. If this is indeed the case, as I believe it is in Headfonia's comparison review, I am shocked the S:Flo2 isn't making more waves here just for that reason alone.

Apr 15, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #860 of 3,682
^ THe line out is very powerful. When using in the car I turn the volume up to either 3 or 4 and it's loud enough. 5 or 6 when friends are there
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 15, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #861 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by sanity8me /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm also under the impression that it may actually top the iMod's LO SQ. If this is indeed the case, as I believe it is in Headfonia's comparison review, I am shocked the S:Flo2 isn't making more waves here just for that reason alone.

Sasaki said the same thing in his early impressions
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/6095385-post144.html
And some other headfier too but he didn't give much explanation.

Apr 15, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #862 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by sanity8me /img/forum/go_quote.gif

alot of people think its the flav. of the month. I hope this thread encourage more people to try this unit.

Apr 15, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #863 of 3,682
Well, when sane people see stuffs like "blow away," "outclass," "huge difference," they raise their eyebrows. That and the fact that this player has a buggy firmware, questionable build quality, and , on top of all, an awesome battery life of 8 hours, err... no thanks.

Apr 15, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #864 of 3,682
It has great build quality with a very nice, very sensitive touch screen.
Buggy firmware? From what I can see 2.00 is pretty solid. I haven't had a reset in a month and I use the player for hours every day.

Apr 15, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #865 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, when sane people see stuffs like "blow away," "outclass," "huge difference," they raise their eyebrows. That and the fact that this player has a buggy firmware, questionable build quality, and , on top of all, an awesome battery life of 8 hours, err... no thanks.

Yea doesn't sound like you have used one at all. FW 2.0 is not buggy at all, the only real issue is the way rockchip players handles ID tags, this issue is pretty much the same from all rockchip players. Build quality is very good, it is a very sturdy sleek well designed player, the volume scroll wheel is very precise and better implemented than most players and better than any touch screen player.

As far as battery life 8-10 hrs with .flac is a lot better than some of the cowons that only get 4 hrs with .flac

Apr 15, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #866 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by candy287 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
alot of people think its the flav. of the month. I hope this thread encourage more people to try this unit.

-
I don't think so
tongue_smile.gif
I feel that the only way I'll get a new player if this were to break, but I take good care of my things and I feel this player is built pretty solid.

Apr 16, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #867 of 3,682
Well, for me i had a clip+ and went buggy on me before and after the fw. update. It keeps on freezing and dying on me. I had the clip for about 1 month and returned it. I had a zune30 after the clip but i never like the sound of it so i sold it. I hope the S:flo will give me the sound im looking for. Aside from the "buggy fw" if it doesnt freeze on me as often as the clip then im a happy camper. Im also in the wait for my iAudio 7 from Anacondastan.

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #868 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilney /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Questionable build quality? You have obviously never held one. Teclast actually make some nice players. Buggy firmware = you fail again. FW 2.0 is solid and it has never frozen on me and works as expected. The battery life is plenty, I use it a couple of hours a day, and you can recharge it you know. The only problem with the S:Flo2 is the ID tags, but it is a small price to pay for the sound quality.

There are plenty of players for people who make ignorant comments, go get one of those fruit themed toys.

Apr 16, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #870 of 3,682
Heh, things are getting a bit chippy in here. I'm still intrigued by this player, even though I'm no longer in the market. I'm tied to the Apple ecosystem, so I'm resigned to just making the best of an iPod Classic (2009) based set-up. The sflo2 just won't work for me in the Mac world (lack of compatibility in general, and no ALAC--like pretty much every other player out there).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back