S:flo2 impressions thread
Jan 27, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #316 of 3,682
Worldman, out of the D2 and S:Flo2, which one can push bass further? i find my D2 has exclent bass but the S:Flo2 has line out making it very tempting.

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #317 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by LintHart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Worldman, out of the D2 and S:Flo2, which one can push bass further? i find my D2 has exclent bass but the S:Flo2 has line out making it very tempting.

LintHart, the bass that the Cowon D2 delivers is very impressive indeed. However, I prefer the bass through my S:flo2 because it delivers equivalent deep bass with greater authority. It is more detailed, cleaner, and tighter, and it is delivered with greater power which I have found to positively affect the SQ.

If you like the bass from the D2, then I think you will be even happier with the S:flo2.

I hope this helps.

Jan 27, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #318 of 3,682
I would like to express my observation through my comparation of AMP3 and FLO2. the bold parts are citied the conclusions of Mangamonster

sflo2

-Lower, richer bass spectrum. Controlled.

what is the richer bass spectrum? The bass of Flo2 completely drop off (more serious than the word of roll off) at around 60 hz, no ultra bass spectrum, can it be called rich bass?

-More of an impact in the lows and mids, does not seem as delicate sounding as the amp3 pro2 though

How do you define the impact? My observation of the impact of FLO2 is the hump and louder mids. I don’t think the louder mids is music impact. Just like Bomb has much impact than drum. The problem of FLO2 is no ultra highs and ultra bass,The whole energy is concentrated on the mids.It misleads the listener to misunderstand it has “impact”.
Music appreciation is to enjoy the reality of the music, the shine and extention highs and engaging bass, to experience the details of all frequencies, it is not only for “impact”
If a player is only designed for the “impact”, then make the player has congest instruments, this “impact” will became listening fatigue, to be frankly, who can listen to FLO2 for long time with out headach?

-Soundstage is about the same, though amp3 seems a tad bit airy

AMP3 has much better airy than FLO2. What is airy? Airy comes from the ultra highs extention. The highs of Flo2 cuted at about 10khz,no ultra highs, Flo2 has less airy. while AMP3 has aobut 20khz highs,

-Articulation is good. Great attack.

The articulation of Flo2 is inperfect. It is over resolution. Just as the picture is over
exposured. The sound of flo2 is flat, lack of dynamic, less details, lifless. The over resolution sound make FLO2 has less muiscality.

Amp3 Pro2

-Lows are good, but seems slightly lacking. Bass is very controlled, but lacking impact

I have said, the bass of bomb and drum is different. The lows of AMP3 is very extention, with clear and detail bass. The bass of AMP3 is very meaty, with the features of density,”springing” feeling, this is the hi end bass, wich is very comfortable for music listening. I don’t like the bomb style bass.

-mids seems to be lacking compared to sflo2

This conclusion is completely wrong. The hump mids of Flo2 is achieved by sacrificing the ultra highs and ultra bass. It is overwhelming. The vocal on Flo2 has peak wich is harsh to ear, it is uncomfortable sound. Less instruments seperation, less music laying, only concentrates on mids frequences, such a mid is inbalanced.

It is well known that AMP3 has a perfect mids, the sound of mids are very dynamic, has a decent sound image. The mids of AMP3 is it’s strength comparing to any players.

-highs articulated nicely, though a tad shrill at times

I doubt you make a typo to type “shine” to be “shrill”. AMP3 has the best highs, the highs extention can reach to 20khz, maybe you have no such a experience with DAPs, so you feel it is shrill. The ultra highs of AMP3 can perfectly duplicate the clear and shining highs, such as the reality violine presentation.

-Soundstage almost the same to me on both DAPs, but the amp3 is a little more layered and airy

The last half of the conclusion is right, but I don’t agree the first half of the sentence. The headstage of AMP3 is much better than Flo2. Flo2 has related less instrument seperation, flat sound, congest mids, how can it has the satisfied headstage?

-impact is ok, but not as good as sflo2

I don’t want mention the “impact”again, I want to taste the essential of music peacefully, I don’t like the “bom bom bom” impact.

-sound not as balanced as I would like it to be, big plus for the sflo2

I completely disagree with you on this with my comparation of the two players.
Just as I have mentioned, Flo2 has no ultra highs, no ultra bass, plus the overwhelming mids, which has shadowed and poluted the highs, how can Flo2 became a balaced player?

On the contrary, AMP3 is famous for it’s balance sound. AMP3 is one of few DAPs has no EQ in the wold. The natural and balance music representation are the strength of AMP3.

Jan 27, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #320 of 3,682
First off, thank you for the critical judgment. It helps me with my reviews. Also, I'm not a bass head or bass lover (and of course there's nothing wrong with that either). I listen to mostly instrumental music, such as jazz, international, classic rock and folk. I did not give you biased opinions...I like both the amp3 and sflo2 very much, it appears you may have taken it as an attack on the amp3. I'm sorry, but that was not the intent at all. I simply listed what I did and did not hear from both players. I tried my best to keep everything as objective as possible. Based on my personal preferences, I chose the s:flo2 as the better player.

I will break down the definition of impact, shrill, balance and lows in my own words, as I mentioned in my original post, I do not claim to be anything more than a simple listener of music who is just beginning to enjoy high-end audio.

It would behoove you to take my personal review of these findings as an informal evaluation, and in no means am I a reviewing practitioner of audiophile equipment. With that said, any additional conclusions that you deduct from my evaluations and opinions that appear to be taken out of context from my wording may not be worth any additional effort to try and dispute or argue.

So, with that meaty disclaimer said, I will explain the wording I used to the best of my abilities.

TO ME, the following words mean....

Lows - both bass and low end
Bass - quantity of low end frequencies
Rich Bass - bass that is full and authoritative in SQ. Not in loudness, but quality. Does not sound hollow, but full.
Impact - presence, force, attack (opposite would be withheld, absent, lacking). Bass has nothing to do with impact.
Balanced - to represent lows, meds and highs equally. Not one stands out more than the other
Shrill - high's that have an unpleasing sound. Overly cold and harsh. Not bright.
Shine - high's that have a bright and clear sound quality. Sparkle. Not shrill, or cold
Articulation - good separation and response.
Detail - the ability to represent individual parts with better precision and clarity

I hope that these personal definitions that I use to explain what I hear is more clear and may fill in any questions that you had. Also, keep in mind that I listened to this on a pair of Denon AHD2000 earphones, which has it's own unique SQ and color, separate from the DAPs own SQ in my review.

I will be receiving a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990's and Grado 325is cans this week and will do another review after they burn in. I should be posting them in a video review on my youtube channel
smily_headphones1.gif

-Davy

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #322 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by Booda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would like to express my observation through my comparation of AMP3 and FLO2. the bold parts are citied the conclusions of Mangamonster

sflo2

-Lower, richer bass spectrum. Controlled.

what is the richer bass spectrum? The bass of Flo2 completely drop off (more serious than the word of roll off) at around 60 hz, no ultra bass spectrum, can it be called rich bass?

-More of an impact in the lows and mids, does not seem as delicate sounding as the amp3 pro2 though

How do you define the impact? My observation of the impact of FLO2 is the hump and louder mids. I don’t think the louder mids is music impact. Just like Bomb has much impact than drum. The problem of FLO2 is no ultra highs and ultra bass,The whole energy is concentrated on the mids.It misleads the listener to misunderstand it has “impact”.
Music appreciation is to enjoy the reality of the music, the shine and extention highs and engaging bass, to experience the details of all frequencies, it is not only for “impact”
If a player is only designed for the “impact”, then make the player has congest instruments, this “impact” will became listening fatigue, to be frankly, who can listen to FLO2 for long time with out headach?

-Soundstage is about the same, though amp3 seems a tad bit airy

AMP3 has much better airy than FLO2. What is airy? Airy comes from the ultra highs extention. The highs of Flo2 cuted at about 10khz,no ultra highs, Flo2 has less airy. while AMP3 has aobut 20khz highs,

-Articulation is good. Great attack.

The articulation of Flo2 is inperfect. It is over resolution. Just as the picture is over
exposured. The sound of flo2 is flat, lack of dynamic, less details, lifless. The over resolution sound make FLO2 has less muiscality.

Amp3 Pro2

-Lows are good, but seems slightly lacking. Bass is very controlled, but lacking impact

I have said, the bass of bomb and drum is different. The lows of AMP3 is very extention, with clear and detail bass. The bass of AMP3 is very meaty, with the features of density,”springing” feeling, this is the hi end bass, wich is very comfortable for music listening. I don’t like the bomb style bass.

-mids seems to be lacking compared to sflo2

This conclusion is completely wrong. The hump mids of Flo2 is achieved by sacrificing the ultra highs and ultra bass. It is overwhelming. The vocal on Flo2 has peak wich is harsh to ear, it is uncomfortable sound. Less instruments seperation, less music laying, only concentrates on mids frequences, such a mid is inbalanced.

It is well known that AMP3 has a perfect mids, the sound of mids are very dynamic, has a decent sound image. The mids of AMP3 is it’s strength comparing to any players.

-highs articulated nicely, though a tad shrill at times

I doubt you make a typo to type “shine” to be “shrill”. AMP3 has the best highs, the highs extention can reach to 20khz, maybe you have no such a experience with DAPs, so you feel it is shrill. The ultra highs of AMP3 can perfectly duplicate the clear and shining highs, such as the reality violine presentation.

-Soundstage almost the same to me on both DAPs, but the amp3 is a little more layered and airy

The last half of the conclusion is right, but I don’t agree the first half of the sentence. The headstage of AMP3 is much better than Flo2. Flo2 has related less instrument seperation, flat sound, congest mids, how can it has the satisfied headstage?

-impact is ok, but not as good as sflo2

I don’t want mention the “impact”again, I want to taste the essential of music peacefully, I don’t like the “bom bom bom” impact.

-sound not as balanced as I would like it to be, big plus for the sflo2

I completely disagree with you on this with my comparation of the two players.
Just as I have mentioned, Flo2 has no ultra highs, no ultra bass, plus the overwhelming mids, which has shadowed and poluted the highs, how can Flo2 became a balaced player?

On the contrary, AMP3 is famous for it’s balance sound. AMP3 is one of few DAPs has no EQ in the wold. The natural and balance music representation are the strength of AMP3.

Next time you decide to do a review, please refrain from the attack on another members review. just because you happen to disagree doesnt mean that you need to attack his writing in the manor that you did. You can write your own review and get your point across in a civil manor.

Everyone has different ears.

Jan 27, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #323 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by worldman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LintHart, the bass that the Cowon D2 delivers is very impressive indeed. However, I prefer the bass through my S:flo2 because it delivers equivalent deep bass with greater authority. It is more detailed, cleaner, and tighter, and it is delivered with greater power which I have found to positively affect the SQ.

If you like the bass from the D2, then I think you will be even happier with the S:flo2.

I hope this helps.

Yes thats of immense help thanks mate.

so is the s:flo pure EQ or is there bass 'notches +-' like how the D2 has machbass +- etc.

Jan 28, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #324 of 3,682
Quote:

so is the s:flo pure EQ or is there bass 'notches +-' like how the D2 has machbass +- etc.

Hi LinHart,

There are + and - values in the EQ. The NORMAL EQ is liked by many, but I'm an EQmeister, and prefer EQ's

Here are a few of my EQ value setups for the s:flo2 from my blog:

One (my current fave) is a "W" wave/curve:

From bassiest frequency band to trebliest frequency band:

Band 1 = 60 Hz range @ 9
Band 2 = 300 Hz range @ 1 or 2
Band 3 = 1 kHz range @ 4 or 5
Band 4 = 3 kHz range @ -3 or -4
Band 5 =6 kHz range @ 2 or 3

---------------------------------------

Another very treble detailed "V" Curve is this:

Band 1 = 60 Hz range @ 8
Band 2 = 300 Hz range @ 4
Band 3 = 1 kHz range @ 6
Band 4 = 3 kHz range @ 10
Band 5 =6 kHz range @ 12

---------------------------------------

Those are my 2 favourite setups. I prefer the "W" Curve.

I hope this helps get some of you out there started with "good" EQ values and EQ Curves...

Oh, and LinHart, I hope if you are intrigued enough to bite, you have a great time with the device. I've come from the COWON world myself, and am an active member on one of the boards... I've had the D2, the O2PMP, and the S9, and I feel personally that this device gobbles them up for breakfast.

Maybe the BBE/+ SoundSet has more configurable Filtration options, but this s:flo2 just flat out doesn't 'need' them to sound superior. Oh and like the D2 it's a LOUD player. You may actually find yourself turning the volume Down! LOL.

Jan 28, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #325 of 3,682
Quote:

LintHart,

FLACvest has done a wonderful job of answering your question and I wholeheartedly agree with his opinion. Thanks FLACvest!
bigsmile_face.gif

However, I am not an "EQmeister", hence I prefer listening to my S:flo2 on the "flat" user setting. My comment regarding my comparison with the Cowon D2 is based on the "flat" setting on both devices.

If you decide to bite, I don't think you will be disappointed.

And, by the way, Sorry for your wallet! (I just needed to say this
atsmile.gif
)

Jan 28, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #326 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by Booda /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I find it hard to believe that the Sflo2 has a bass cut at 60HZ and treble is cut above 10KHZ

Do you have any proof of that or are you just making it up?

Jan 28, 2010 at 7:31 AM Post #327 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by gideonMorrison /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^Let me guess, you're owner of Amp3 inc.? Really dude, you're the only one around here that says it sort of 'sucks'. That's kind of the conclusion to your 'review'.

Post a picture I'd say, showing them side by side ;p

I thought we already knew that booda and headfever were amp3 shills? I was pretty turned off on the amp3 because of headfever, his posts sounded always very phony and always took criticism on the player too personal, i just assumed amp3 company shill bag. Seems old booda takes criticism on the amp3 very personal like headfever.....
rolleyes.gif

Jan 28, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #328 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by piotrus-g /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spoko spoko
wink.gif

Unfortunately due to head-fi rules you can't speak other language than English here. If you want to chat send me PM or let's talk via gg
You can find external batteries from Fiio and other brands. I assume this will work nice. But I don't mind playback time.
I assume you have your s:flo already?

I have Teclast sometime already.It is not so easy with battery packs.
We want them to charge and play,not only - charge.I tricked gadget shopowners to let me try different devices - luring them with prospect of big orders.The results? - not so good.Some devices dont charge properly,only one can be used for my needs.It is Sanyo with internal battery - "mobile energy booster"2500mAh,lithium,25$.I have got also thing called - "solar charger and flash light" - only 10 $,can be used to charge and works on sunlight as well(very slowly).
To use Sanyo device you have to fiddle with USB connector pulling it on and off - it will be damaged quickly,and it gives may be 2 hours boost only.
I found finally better device - capacity 4000mAh,size - almost same as player.(called X-Power)Unfortunetly its price is the same as well - 110$!
I almost had bought it,but in the last second I had bliss - and for the same money I had ordered another player - s:flo this time.It has been delivered very quickly and now my playing time is almost - 20 hours and I have two players.It is good solution from logical point of view but not the right one.
I have hope,that somebody here will advice me about the external battery
with high capacity,which works well with T51/s:flo and I may get it through
internet.It has to be checked in practice.
I listen to music,when I am travelling- it means all night in train or bus,I can not sleep - pmp saves my mood.Another player - good one(D2) went dead on me,another(I will not name to save from shame)- I can not listen after T51!I am using AudioTechnica M50 cans and earphones from Victor/JVC called:HA-FXC-70;I recommend both - not expensive and very good.
I know languge rules,but your nick is so swojski,that I could not resist
from my distant location.
SieMa!

Jan 28, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #329 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by piotrus-g /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Booda What headphones/earphone do you use?

x2
A review is useless if you don't mention what you paired your DAP with. It is well known that powerful outputs (the s:flo is said to have 40 mw/channel) can cause some bass roll off with low impedance phones.

Jan 28, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #330 of 3,682
ibasso d4 uses 2 wm8740, upcoming fiio e7 use one, i guess studio one also need that chip - so there is unbelievable demand for this wm8740 right now, but wolfson microelectronics are not prepared. maybe thats the reason sflo is out of stock, as is d4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back