S:flo2 impressions thread
Jun 21, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #1,666 of 3,682
The sleep mode is an auto turn off.  I use it sometime when I listen before I sleep.

To each their own but I can't see why this would lack portability.  Other than jogging and working out, I use it most other time.  It's quite portable.  I have a small small creative player for workouts.  

Regarding the UI, the fact that it doesn't have an enqueue option is an issue.

I just saw ychao's rant.  LOL.  But he's right; basically the 1/5 regions of the edges in all areas have problems detecting your fingers.

Jun 21, 2010 at 7:31 AM Post #1,667 of 3,682

Quote:

Off topic: You sold your Sony X?! I've only had this thing a month but I already know that I'll keep it until it dies or until I do, and also that it has both a pin-perfect touch-screen and external controls is a plus (and at least a bit relevant to this thread). And this considering that I hate Sony as a company.

Just out of curiosity, why on earth did you sell it?

On topic: Are any more full length S:flo2 impressions on their way? Have only seen short summaries on B3.

I intend to do a fuller review, but I've only had the thing a couple of days. I want to spend some time with it to see how we get along. I haven't even tried it out with an amp yet, and that's going to be very interesting. Since my last post in here saying the UI didn't bother me, there was one moment last night where I exclaimed out loud and not a little obscenely when having difficulties navigating to the track I wanted. Sounded ace when I got there though!

Jun 21, 2010 at 8:50 AM Post #1,669 of 3,682

Quote:

Off topic: You sold your Sony X?! I've only had this thing a month but I already know that I'll keep it until it dies or until I do, and also that it has both a pin-perfect touch-screen and external controls is a plus (and at least a bit relevant to this thread). And this considering that I hate Sony as a company.

Just out of curiosity, why on earth did you sell it?

On topic: Are any more full length S:flo2 impressions on their way? Have only seen short summaries on B3.

[size=medium]
Sold it because I prefer the Cowon J3. I wanted a portable player with external controls that plays flac, has more expansion (potential for 64GB with a 32GB card) and doesn't have a poorly executed wifi (the J3 has none at all, which suits me fine). I got a very good deal on the X when I bought it, $269 plus tax, but I owned both the X and the J3 and to me, the J3 is a worthy replacement. I know people love their Sony Xs, but I just liked it, not loved it. And I don't hate Sony as a company. So it was an easy decision for me. Same with the S:flo2. I lked it, but didn't love it. So I sold it too and bought an iPod Touch to use with an LOD cable and my T3 amp for higher level SQ listening. I only put Apple lossless files on the Touch.

There are many more S:flo2 impressions on the MP4nation. net forum, apart from here.
[/size]

Jun 21, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #1,670 of 3,682

Quote:
Do you know what does the Sleep mode function do? How long does your sflo2 take to turn on? mine takes around 10s, from holding the button down till the screen comes on.

Mine take a few seconds as well to turn back on, I never use sleep mode as the auto turn off works fine for my uses.

Jun 21, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #1,671 of 3,682
My S:Flo2 just came in 5 mins ago 
biggrin.gif
. Never did receive a tracking number from mp4nation, but it got here about a week after they notified me that it was shipped, and all the "gift" accessories were included. Thanks Raz. I'll post some impressions tomorrow.

edit: here's a pic 

Jun 21, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #1,672 of 3,682

Quote:
I should be getting an ALO Rx this week and I cant wait to see whether it will make a significant improvement, otherwise I really do not mind carrying this thing without an amp. 
I am curious if anyone else is using this with a portable amp and seeing a significant amount of improvement?

I actually use the ALO Rx with my T51 and love the results; very nice improvement on my end. You have to give the amp around 30 hours to fully burn in (very bassy when it's fresh) but once you do you get a nice chunk of improvement.

Of course it depends on how well the phones benefit from the amp. Back when I had my UM3Xs the amp added a night and day difference to the sound quality. Now switching with ER4Ps it's not night and day but it is noticeable. 

Jun 21, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #1,673 of 3,682
Quote:
I actually use the ALO Rx with my T51 and love the results; very nice improvement on my end. You have to give the amp around 30 hours to fully burn in (very bassy when it's fresh) but once you do you get a nice chunk of improvement.

Of course it depends on how well the phones benefit from the amp. Back when I had my UM3Xs the amp added a night and day difference to the sound quality. Now switching with ER4Ps it's not night and day but it is noticeable. 

I'm liking the s:flo2->Rx->TF10 combination alot. Slowly getting accustomed to the UI, gotta admit the SQ's winning me over.
Thanks for the TF's, Spade!

Jun 21, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #1,674 of 3,682
deadhorse.gif
Finally the beating of the horse can stop I got my Sflo2 in da mail today and will open it at work I uploaded some flac on my usb drive and will put some on it at work lol. Funny thing is it said it left hong kong last tues and then it just cahnged today sayin it has arrived, i was waiting for the mail guy and finally when I had to leave for work he comes up with my packege I've never been this excited for a player the hype has gotten me dammit. I will write a full review tomorrow when I get to tinker with it fully.
gs1000.gif

Jun 21, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #1,675 of 3,682

Quote:
My S:flow2 finally arrived today after two months of waiting !

SQ is great   HO > HFI-780, impressions to come when I have had some more time. Immediate reaction:   detail an separation improvements almost like a headphone upgrade, placebo and honeymoon  aside so far so good.

No M1s or 2s in my package tho :frowning2:

Oh cool, looking forward to that. I'm considering picking up that pair or the Pro 750s. But because of my limited available funds and purposeful self-restriction to avoid selling everything I own to buy audio equipment, I would have to give up my MTPCs to continue keeping this addicting hobby in check. So I hope to hear some nice impressions on the synergy of the pair.

And looking forward to all if the new arrival's impressions of the s:flo2 as well. 

Jun 21, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #1,676 of 3,682
Having been using the S:flo2+Arrow combo for 2 weeks and I must say the SQ is the best out of all the portable I have used. While the player excels at playing lossless files, it somehow also make 128kbs MP3 sounds more natural.

I am ok with the UI. The only thing I would like to see in future firmware upgrade will be full tag info support for OGG files so I  can add OGG files to the library.

The thing I don't like about the hardware is it does get too hot. It even get hot while charging and not being used. I am not sure if it is the battery or the voltage coverter chip that get hot while charging. With this temperature and current draw, I don't expect the internal battery would last long.

When the battery does die, I will open up the player and replace the battery and also replace the OPA2604 chip with a OPA1642 or OPA2141 chip to cut the power consumption.

Jun 21, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #1,677 of 3,682
beerchug.gif
OMG I just listened to it with only my Smokin buds by skullcandy which arn't that great and it sounded great I listened flac and my god I did'nt believe i could find a player that sounded this good, I was skeptical cause the cowan s9 failed my expections really bad, but jeez this player nothing can compare it's loud sound without hurting your ears is amazing and the volume wheel is great to use.

I don't know how people can compare other players to this sure you can get cleaner sound but being loud is what music's for In my point of view anyways I can't wait to try my Sennheiser Hd438's on this thing man I'm so happy I got the 16gb with a micro 16gb for 30gbs of flac yeah, and yes true flac is superior

Jun 21, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #1,679 of 3,682
Anaxilus,

I think we must be among the last to receive the batch 3 order.  Mine was supposedly mailed out June 2, but only recognized as received by HK Post on 6/15.  Finally got the message that it left HK on 6/19, so it appears to be somewhere between China and Texas.  Hopefully, ours (and everyone else patiently waiting) will arrive soon.

By the way, I did also order a Teclast T51 from HOD, Placed the order on a Friday evening (6/11) and because of the weekend, the player got mailed out on 6/14 (Monday).  The player has not been registered with HK Post yet, but I figure if I gave MP4 nation ~2 weeks, then I'll have to be fair with HOD.  Additionally, no BS from HOD and the communication from the person that appears to run the place (?Sunny) is fantastic.  So, I guess if I had not been so dead set on getting one of these players in the 16 GB version, I might have been out of my waiting misery long ago.   I don't really suppose that there will be any sound difference between these two players, but it will still (maybe?) be interesting to see if there are any subtle (or not so subtle) differences between these two in performance. 

Good luck to all of us still patiently waiting......

Jun 22, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #1,680 of 3,682
I noticed that some of you listen to K-pop.  May I ask, does your s:flo2 display Korean characters in the file name and/or mp3 ID tag correctly?   I listen to k-pop wav file with Korean charaters as file name.  It doesn't display that (it display squares instead).  It does display Japanese file names correctly though......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back