Rush 'Sectors' Box Sets
May 12, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #61 of 62
The highest resolution a CD can offer is 16/44. I'm pretty sure the only album in high res is Fly By Night which is on the DVD. You can use DVD Audio Extractor to get the high res stereo off of the DVD. It's not free but does have a 30 day free trial.

I just read the Amazon description and I think it means the albums were transfered at 24/96 and then down sampled to CD quality. HDtracks has all the albums in 24/96 for $35.

Thanks - I was stumped trying to figure out how to get the high resolution files off of the discs.. This is the blurb on Amazon.... It certainly "sounds" like all the discs should be 24/96

Limited six disc (five CDs + DVD) box set from the Canadian Rock trio. Contains the albums Rush, Fly By Night, Caress Of Steel, 2112 and All The World's A Stage plus the DVD-Audio mix of Fly By Night. Each Sector contains five of their 15 Mercury albums in chronological order, all transferred to high resolution 96kHz/24-bit and digitally premastered for optimal quality. In addition, each volume includes an exclusive booklet packed with unpublished photos, original album lyrics and credits, and features one album specifically remixed on DVD in high resolution 96 kHz/24-bit, 5.1 surround sound and stereo, compatible with both DVD Audio players and DVD-Video players. Each album is packaged in a replica vinyl mini-jacket of the original album release with all 3 sets forming a Rush CD road case.

Am I missing something? Did the transfer begin with a 24/96 master and then transferred again at 16/44?

EDIT: I see you answered the above question - boy it is ambiguous as hell....

Oct 22, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #62 of 62
I noticed this right away as Mission is in my top 5 favorite Rush songs. I don't find the differences to be a disappointment. By and large, I feel they are consistent with the original vision of the song, and I believe since these are sanctioned remasters, they are consistent with the band's vision as well.

That said, I was really frustrated that the version of Vapor Trails in the HDTracks set was not the remixed version - they updated that after the fact and my purchase didn't include it. :/ I don't like that album enough o drop another $18 on it.

Has anyone noticed that there's been some remixing on some of these remasters?  I was just listening to Mission from Hold Your Fire and it seemed different, so I A-B'd it with the 1997 remaster and there were some significant differences in the keyboards.  Some Amazon reviewers are reporting different vocal mixes on some songs as well.  Not sure I'm happy to hear about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back