Rush 'Sectors' Box Sets
Jan 3, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #16 of 62
I think they mean the 3 from the sector sets that are 24 bit, but not the the entire rush 
catalogue

Jan 3, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #18 of 62

Quote:
That's good to hear; have you run across any of the glitches on certain discs mentioned earlier?  I wonder if those problems were isolated to one batch of the box sets, or are on all of them.

I've since read that eventually more of these will make their way to HDTracks as 24/96 downloads; although going that route would be more expensive than the box sets, I guess.

Just a few on Fly by Night....but nothing to really get worked over...all the rest of the CDs sound great so far (up to Moving Pictures now).

Jan 3, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #19 of 62
I think I will order these from Amazon; from what I've read on the Rush website there will be an exchange program set up for any of the individual discs that might have defects.  

I wouldn't want to wait months for a perfect set and then find out there are no more available, or that the only way to get the corrected discs is to purchase now and exchange them if necessary.  Also, some buyers have reported no problems at all; are they just missing them, or do only certain sets have the defects?  Either way, I'll take a chance now.

I haven't heard a lot of this stuff for years, since I had the original vinyl versions (all long gone, worn out, traded, sold, etc.) and the HDTracks Moving Pictures is a revelation through my headphone rig.

The vast majority of reviews everywhere online are praising these box sets as the best versions available, so I'm in.

Edit:  They have been ordered.  I guess this shows where my priorities lie; the Pink Floyd Discovery Box Set (a bit more money for one less album) will now have to wait until next month . . .

Jan 3, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #22 of 62

Forgive me as I haven't stayed current on the situation but did they say anything about the "recall" of the Fly by Night defects? I remember reading something on Facebook about it a few weeks ago but never really followed up. It's not a huge deal for me but it's still a slight annoyance when listening. 

Jan 3, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #23 of 62
From the official Rush website:

"We are aware of some slight technical issues surrounding the CD of ‘Fly By Night’ inside the Sector 1 box set release and the DVD for ‘A Farewell To Kings’ inside the Sector 2 box set that some fans are experiencing. It stems from a production flaw and it is currently being addressed. As soon as production is completed a formal announcement of how to replace the discs will follow shortly. Please be aware that there may be a time delay in shipping and receiving the disc and we sincerely apologize for this inconvenience – Geddy, Alex & Neil"

Jan 4, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #24 of 62

Quote:
From the official Rush website:

"We are aware of some slight technical issues surrounding the CD of ‘Fly By Night’ inside the Sector 1 box set release and the DVD for ‘A Farewell To Kings’ inside the Sector 2 box set that some fans are experiencing. It stems from a production flaw and it is currently being addressed. As soon as production is completed a formal announcement of how to replace the discs will follow shortly. Please be aware that there may be a time delay in shipping and receiving the disc and we sincerely apologize for this inconvenience – Geddy, Alex & Neil"

Nice to hear. My Fly by Night has about 4 slight pauses on the entire album...not a big deal, but nice to know Rush has our back.

Jan 5, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #25 of 62
Mentioned at SHTV is an 800 # to be set up for the exchanges. Apparently the range of defects looks to be pretty troubling, so I'll be waiting till everything clears up. Have located an Atomic Permanent Waves to hold me over.

Jan 5, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #26 of 62
Just got all 3 boxes in today.  I'm just now about half way through the 1st Rush: Rush album, and college dorm memories are flooding back.  This sounds way better than I remember--haven't heard these tracks for years, and it's sounding fantastic through my LCD2s.  I had most of these albums on original vinyl, but these are the only CD versions I've owned.  

I wasn't expecting much from this first album, but I'm very pleasantly surprised.  As I work my way through these, I know it's going to get lots better.  If the upcoming defects are noticeable enough, I'll participate in the upcoming exchange program;  but my first early impression is that I'm pleased so far.

A warning though; I don't' think I've ever listened to anything where the temptation to crank the volume to dangerous levels was greater than this . . .

Jan 6, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #27 of 62
Haven't had a lot of time to listen to these yet, but I've gotten through the first album, which sounded great from beginning to end; Fly By Night has generally excellent sound, too, but I counted either 6 or 7 audio dropouts at various places, so hopefully this one can get exchanged soon.

I'm part way through Caress Of Steel, which is crisp and clean so far, also featuring excellent sound.

Often, with older recordings such as these, I turn to my D7000s looking for a bigger bottom end, but no need with these; the tonal balance is just perfect with the LCD2s.  To my ears, this is just how these tracks should sound.  Geddy's bass playing style doesn't require the playback system to reproduce subterranean depth, but the right amount of weight, combined with speed and detail is important; these remasters have it nailed perfectly, I think.

Someone mentioned earlier that an 800 number was posted over at Steve Hoffman TV regarding exchanging the defective discs; I searched the Rush forums over there but found nothing; does anyone know if there is a number, or any new info regarding the exchanges?

Looking forward to a lot of listening this weekend.

Jan 6, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #28 of 62

Quote:
Haven't had a lot of time to listen to these yet, but I've gotten through the first album, which sounded great from beginning to end; Fly By Night has generally excellent sound, too, but I counted either 6 or 7 audio dropouts at various places, so hopefully this one can get exchanged soon.

I'm part way through Caress Of Steel, which is crisp and clean so far, also featuring excellent sound.

Often, with older recordings such as these, I turn to my D7000s looking for a bigger bottom end, but no need with these; the tonal balance is just perfect with the LCD2s.  To my ears, this is just how these tracks should sound.  Geddy's bass playing style doesn't require the playback system to reproduce subterranean depth, but the right amount of weight, combined with speed and detail is important; these remasters have it nailed perfectly, I think.

Someone mentioned earlier that an 800 number was posted over at Steve Hoffman TV regarding exchanging the defective discs; I searched the Rush forums over there but found nothing; does anyone know if there is a number, or any new info regarding the exchanges?

Looking forward to a lot of listening this weekend.

Agreed on the quality of these CDs.

I actually just finished all of them. Started on Christmas night when things settled down (my wife picked them up for me) and have tried to listen to 1 or 2 CDs a night and I am very impressed with them. A must for any Rush fan IMO.

Next up...Zeppelin remasters! Man do they need them.

Jan 8, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #30 of 62
got all three of them today, but didn't listed yet. Will start with it the coming week

Users who are viewing this thread

Back