Rupert Neve Designs Announces The RNHP: Precision Headphone Amplifier
Sep 19, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #181 of 522
I received an ifi DC Purifier today. Tried it with the RNHP, but the amp won't turn on. After plugging the ifi into the RNHP and plugging the RNHP power supply into the ifi, I flipped the RNHP power switch on. Instead of the amp turning on, the green light on the front flashed on and off and the amp would not turn on. I checked the voltage before and after the ifi and it read 24.2 volts DC. The amp says 24V DC at .25A and the power supply says 24V DC at .4 A. Not sure what the problem is as the ifi is rated at up to 24V DC at 3.5A. Should have no problem running the RNHP. I tried the ifi on another unit which outputs 5V DC and no problem there. Need to contact ifi to see what they say.

brookbi:are you using the ifi on your RNHP or are you using a different DC purifier?
Yes, I am using the ifi DC purifier.
It is plugged into the RNHP with my wall wart plugged into it.
There is the orange light on by the power symbol, not the +/-. If it is the other way around, I believe your phase is wrong and needs to be changed.
I haven't had any problems with it.
Good luck.

Sep 19, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #182 of 522
Yes, I am using the ifi DC purifier.
It is plugged into the RNHP with my wall wart plugged into it.
There is the orange light on by the power symbol, not the +/-. If it is the other way around, I believe your phase is wrong and needs to be changed.
I haven't had any problems with it.
Good luck.

The orange light is on; the +/- light is not on. I tried a 24V DC linear power supply using the DC iPurifier and the amp turned on and worked ok. However, the ifi case got very hot so I turned everything off and went back to the RNHP power supply. Does your ifi case get hot to the touch?

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #183 of 522
I received an ifi DC Purifier today. Tried it with the RNHP, but the amp won't turn on. After plugging the ifi into the RNHP and plugging the RNHP power supply into the ifi, I flipped the RNHP power switch on. Instead of the amp turning on, the green light on the front flashed on and off and the amp would not turn on. I checked the voltage before and after the ifi and it read 24.2 volts DC. The amp says 24V DC at .25A and the power supply says 24V DC at .4 A. Not sure what the problem is as the ifi is rated at up to 24V DC at 3.5A. Should have no problem running the RNHP. I tried the ifi on another unit which outputs 5V DC and no problem there. Need to contact ifi to see what they say.

brookbi:are you using the ifi on your RNHP or are you using a different DC purifier?

I'm not quite sure if you're talking about using the iFi & the DC Purifier "in-line" w/ the RNHP ? Your mentioning the 2 different amperage ratings is what's throwing me off.

I was under the impression that the Purifier was only just that , not an alternate PS, A lot of amps are a bit sensitive about seeing a different amount of running amperage (more so than non amp devices) (I would occassionally plug the wrong wallwart into my McCormack Micro Line Drive & then scratch my head wonder why the power led was on but it wasn't working ,until I'd realized that I'd plugged the wrong ww line into it.)

Sep 20, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #185 of 522
The orange light is on; the +/- light is not on. I tried a 24V DC linear power supply using the DC iPurifier and the amp turned on and worked ok. However, the ifi case got very hot so I turned everything off and went back to the RNHP power supply. Does your ifi case get hot to the touch?
No, mine runs pr
Yes, just checked, it is hot.
Never checked before, and I have never had a problem with it.

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #186 of 522
It is my understanding that the DC Purifier is to be used IN CONJUNCTION WITH the Rupert Neve power supply. The DC Purifier is an "assistant" rather than a replacement power supply. If your unit is running too hot, the DC Purifier unit may be defective. You could go over to the iFi site and open up a ticket. They're pretty responsive. They can answer all your questions.

Sep 22, 2017 at 7:16 AM Post #187 of 522
Just picked on up for using primarily with AKSP1000 and Utopia whilst at home.

So far very good. Listening to Beth Gibbons Rustin Man album and it never sounded better.

No shortage of bass and background silent.

Sep 22, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #188 of 522
IMG_20170922_121208.jpg

Sep 22, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #189 of 522
20170922_182706.jpg
Just picked on up for using primarily with AKSP1000 and Utopia whilst at home.

So far very good. Listening to Beth Gibbons Rustin Man album and it never sounded better.

No shortage of bass and background silent.

That she is, a noticeable improvement from my Polaris, and a great pairing with Focals. Crystal clear and perfectly silent, and since the Elears aren't hard at all to drive it gets plenty loud for me. I'll add my picture of the Utopias little brother...someday I'll get there!

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #192 of 522
It is my understanding that the DC Purifier is to be used IN CONJUNCTION WITH the Rupert Neve power supply. The DC Purifier is an "assistant" rather than a replacement power supply. If your unit is running too hot, the DC Purifier unit may be defective. You could go over to the iFi site and open up a ticket. They're pretty responsive. They can answer all your questions.

'Purifier' says DC 'filter' not DC 'PS' to myself. (He,he,he...... This is the comment I should have left earlier,not the one I did make:wink:

Oct 12, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #193 of 522
Currently considering this or Jotenheim to use with my Aeons.
I am undecided.
I love the form factor and aesthetic of the Neve.
I have heard the Jot and it sounds great with the Aeon.

I would expect a similar flavour (or lack there of) from teh Neve.

I am currently just using an Alien+/iDSD Black with the Aeons, but finding the iDSD Black (as a dac/amp) is too warm sounding for the Aeons.

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #194 of 522
If you truly are an "audiophile bass head", I think the Neve might disappoint you. It's crisp, clean, clear and meticulous with it's sound. No enhancement at the bottom end, just nice and neutral.

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #195 of 522
If you truly are an "audiophile bass head", I think the Neve might disappoint you. It's crisp, clean, clear and meticulous with it's sound. No enhancement at the bottom end, just nice and neutral.

That's all the bassheads need... well that, and enough stable power to EQ 15dB <100hz without distortion :upside_down:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back