Rupert Neve Designs Announces The RNHP: Precision Headphone Amplifier
Jun 10, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #301 of 522
Probability is low though because i don't have this problem with any other amp. My new amp has the same type of powersupply and is quiet.

So what is causing your problem then? How is your amp different from all the thousands of silent one's that are being used all around the world? I don't think it is the amp, I believe it is a combination of dirty power at your location and the power supply that comes with the rnhp. This is easily solved by using a different power supply or a filter. You should give that a try before returning your amp. Mine is silent, even with the volume turned up to the max with iems...

Jun 11, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #302 of 522
Add me to the list of silent-runners. Even with the volume turned way up on a pair of Shure SE-535's (notorious hiss and noise revealers) there is little or no noise coming from the RNHP. As for the power supply, Neve claims multiple times that the supplied power supply has been designed for the RNHP and should not be replaced by a third party product.

Jun 11, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #304 of 522
Just to chip in on this, when I had this amp it was also dead silent. No issues at all.
Using a Meanwell 25v 1amp power supply with an Ifi dc purifier.
Dead silent.
Better dynamics and bass than the stock walwart.
Previous discussion of power supplies on pages 13-15.
Love the amp, leave it on all of the time with no issues other than the Dc purifier gets warm.

Jun 11, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #305 of 522
So what is causing your problem then? How is your amp different from all the thousands of silent one's that are being used all around the world? I don't think it is the amp, I believe it is a combination of dirty power at your location and the power supply that comes with the rnhp. This is easily solved by using a different power supply or a filter. You should give that a try before returning your amp. Mine is silent, even with the volume turned up to the max with iems...
That's why i think my unit was faulty. If other people's rnhp are silent and all my other amps are silent too that's the only conclusion. Noise was so loud with my Inears and it didn't work with my Ifi dc Ipurifier. Buying another power supply for a 500 $ amp just to be able to drive my sensitive cans didn't seem appropriate.

Jun 11, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #306 of 522
That's why i think my unit was faulty. If other people's rnhp are silent and all my other amps are silent too that's the only conclusion. Noise was so loud with my Inears and it didn't work with my Ifi dc Ipurifier. Buying another power supply for a 500 $ amp just to be able to drive my sensitive cans didn't seem appropriate.

In this case the wall wart that came with your unit was probably faulty. Your dealer should be able to replace it.

Jun 12, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #307 of 522
I always had a problem with the factory SMPS that came with the RNHP. Going back and forth with the excellent support team from Rupert Neve Designs that have sent over a different PSU for testing but sadly is still hearing noise from my more sensitive full sizes, and my ultra sensitive FitEar MH334 was simply unusable with the RNHP.

That is until I ordered a cheap Linear power supply from good old eBay, shipped from China. Using that power supply have completely solved all the noise problems I had with the RNHP, not only I can't hear any hint of noise with my most sensitive full sizes, but even with my FitEar MH334.

Totally recommended to any RNHP owners, as it greatly improves the noise floor performance of the amp without spending much.

A post from Feb 2017...

Jun 18, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #309 of 522
I recently bought a Schiit Modius that has the XLR outputs. I've never used XLR cables before but I was looking at this amp because it has XLR inputs plus it sounds like it's a good quality headphone amp. Excuse my ignorance about XLR cables but would you buy a pair of standard cables with female plugs on one end and male on the other.
New territory for me.

Jun 18, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #310 of 522
I recently bought a Schiit Modius that has the XLR outputs. I've never used XLR cables before but I was looking at this amp because it has XLR inputs plus it sounds like it's a good quality headphone amp. Excuse my ignorance about XLR cables but would you buy a pair of standard cables with female plugs on one end and male on the other.
New territory for me.

Yes. XLR, balanced, outputs will have a male jack on a preamp/DAC/amp, whatever it is. Inputs will have a female XLR. So you need male to female cables.

Jun 27, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #313 of 522
This thing is awesome. So I'm using an older Marantz CD5003 CD deck as a transport with a Schiit Modius connected to it with a Morrow coax cable. Using Morrow XLR cables between the Modius and Neve. Sennheiser HD650 headphones.
I've heard the words fast and precise to describe this amp and I can see how these fit. But it's not cold or clinical. Detailed yes but very musical, for lack of a better word.
Very, very happy with this little amp.
Anyone believe in burning in a headphone amp? Just curious.

Jun 27, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #314 of 522
This thing is awesome. So I'm using an older Marantz CD5003 CD deck as a transport with a Schiit Modius connected to it with a Morrow coax cable. Using Morrow XLR cables between the Modius and Neve. Sennheiser HD650 headphones.
I've heard the words fast and precise to describe this amp and I can see how these fit. But it's not cold or clinical. Detailed yes but very musical, for lack of a better word.
Very, very happy with this little amp.
Anyone believe in burning in a headphone amp? Just curious.
I haven't noticed any difference with my RNHP overtime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back