Rupert Neve Designs Announces The RNHP: Precision Headphone Amplifier
Apr 9, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #286 of 522
For those that dislike the (quite bright) leds I've made a simple fix
11213982.jpg

Apr 19, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #287 of 522
Bumpage.. anything currently going for ~ $500 price point better than the RNHP? Other alternatives I was looking at:

Audio-GD NFB-1
Matrix M-Stage HPA-3U+
RebelAmp
Audeze Deckard
Burson Audio Soloist SL MK2

Any other options I should be looking at?

May 25, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #289 of 522
I just got one of these bad boys. I am pretty much blown away. If hifi equipment is supposed to give you musical insight and make music fun and unfatiguing to listen to, then this amp does the job.

Plus:
Great sound
Well built.

Minus:
Very bright LED on the front. This is the only real downside in my opinion.
No pre out. (I would have loved to try that).
Turn on thump. (Not a big deal, just leave it on)
On off switch on the back, not front. (Just leave it turned on.)
It is fairly pricey.

Conclusion:
The build and sound more than compensate for the minuses. The sound through my AT R70X cans is simply amazing. From what I have read this amp seems to like open high impedance cans. I would suggest that if you don't like this amp there is some kind of mismatch going on in your system.

May 27, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #290 of 522
Just purchased one of these today and super excited to try it out. I am still deciding on a DAC to pair with it. Anyone able to give any impressions when paired with the new Topping D90? This is the current matchup that I have been looking at (Originally the SMSL SU-8v2, but think the D90 would be a nice upgrade).

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #291 of 522
Is it reasonable to grab this amp for headphones that are more on the fun side like grado gs1000e, fostex th900? Usually i like those with tube amps but i want a uncomplicated plug & play amp

May 30, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #292 of 522
Well i bought one and i'm kinda disappointed. When i plugged in my normal cans i was satisfied but now i plugged in my InEar and the noise of it is extreme. The sound remains the same no matter if i turn up or down the volume and it's there with nothing attached only the power. So it sounds like the power makes a lot of noise. Anyone else notice this? From what i've read this thing should be able to drive IEMs...

Is the unit faulty?

May 30, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #293 of 522
Well i bought one and i'm kinda disappointed. When i plugged in my normal cans i was satisfied but now i plugged in my InEar and the noise of it is extreme. The sound remains the same no matter if i turn up or down the volume and it's there with nothing attached only the power. So it sounds like the power makes a lot of noise. Anyone else notice this? From what i've read this thing should be able to drive IEMs...

Is the unit faulty?

No, your power is most probably simply noisy and there is not enough filtering to get rid of the noise before you hear it. Mine can easily drive iems without noise. By some accounts this https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...urifier_purifier_power_pedal_conditioner.html should solve your problem. I believe it goes between the wall wart and the amplifier.

Jun 1, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #294 of 522
No, your power is most probably simply noisy and there is not enough filtering to get rid of the noise before you hear it. Mine can easily drive iems without noise. By some accounts this https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...urifier_purifier_power_pedal_conditioner.html should solve your problem. I believe it goes between the wall wart and the amplifier.
If it were due to my power wouldn't i have the same problem with other Amps then? But i never had it. All my other amps were fed from a big power chord though and not from that small 24 V 5W.

Jun 1, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #295 of 522
If it were due to my power wouldn't i have the same problem with other Amps then? But i never had it. All my other amps were fed from a big power chord though and not from that small 24 V 5W.

Your amps are not the same, so no. Other people have reported this problem and fixed it the way I have described. That is all I know.

Jun 7, 2020 at 4:54 AM Post #296 of 522
I am really really enjoying this. I have been interested in headfi for a few years but I have never had such a breakthrough as getting this amp. It is just so entertaining to listen to and I listen louder and longer than before.
Among other things I have used an Oppo headphone amplifier, JDS labs and a Chord Mojo but this is on another planet.
Is this good enough to stop me from buying another headphone amp? hahahaha. No, it has opened my eyes to the fact that headphone amps really matter and I want to try some more. I have ordered an old classic, the Lehmann linear. I am looking forward to giving it a spin, it will surely be different from the rnhp but I would be surprised if it is significantly better.

In my setup there is no noise or hiss under any sane working conditions. I only hear hiss with iems connected and with the unit turned up almost to the max. I could not listen to music at anywhere near that level.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #297 of 522
Owners of this amp may wish to try other 24V DC power supplies than the one that is supplied with the amp. (I believe they should be capable of at least 0.6A output.) I am testing one right now and there is less noise with it than the standard one and I have a feeling that it tightens up the bass. The one I am using is 24V and 1.25A.

Jun 9, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #298 of 522
Owners of this amp may wish to try other 24V DC power supplies than the one that is supplied with the amp. (I believe they should be capable of at least 0.6A output.) I am testing one right now and there is less noise with it than the standard one and I have a feeling that it tightens up the bass. The one I am using is 24V and 1.25A.
The supplied is crap for sure. The noisefloor was so loud that i returned the amp.

Jun 10, 2020 at 5:39 AM Post #300 of 522
Actually it is your home power supply that is noisy. The supplied power supply is just not good enough to filter it out properly.

I have a linear power supply ordered. I will post my impressions once I have it.

Probability is low though because i don't have this problem with any other amp. My new amp has the same type of powersupply and is quiet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back