Running Amp at full volume?
Oct 20, 2018 at 7:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

williamclarkonet

Head-Fier
Im really new to amping. I have read alot of people say you never want to run your amp at full volume? But why is that exactly? I like to crank my amp all the way up and use my phones volume control instead i just prefer it that way but why is this not the best practice?

Oct 20, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #2 of 4
Sound quality wise it is better to leave the DAC (your phone) at full volume and control the volume with the amp. That is because if there is some noise generated from the DAC or in the cables, it will get amplified more by the amp if it's set at full volume. Leaving the DAC on full provides the best signal to noise ratio. You wont hurt anything with the amp on full as long as you don't accidentally leave your phone on full also and blast something at max volume. Convenience is an excellent reason to use the phone volume instead, especially if there is still no noticeable noise.

Oct 21, 2018 at 12:35 AM Post #3 of 4
Sound quality wise it is better to leave the DAC (your phone) at full volume and control the volume with the amp. That is because if there is some noise generated from the DAC or in the cables, it will get amplified more by the amp if it's set at full volume. Leaving the DAC on full provides the best signal to noise ratio. You wont hurt anything with the amp on full as long as you don't accidentally leave your phone on full also and blast something at max volume. Convenience is an excellent reason to use the phone volume instead, especially if there is still no noticeable noise.
Makes sense!

Oct 21, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #4 of 4
Exactly what I've heard too. You want to have your phones media or audio dac to be at maximum. This allows for a bit perfect signal to go to your amp. You are sending the most information possible to then be amplified. Control volume through your amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back