Rumor: New Sennheiser Flagship to be surfaced ........ soon
Nov 26, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #151 of 603

The Sennheiser Orpheus system (HE 90 headphones + HEV 90 amp) originally retailed for $12,900 in 1991 (adjusting for inflation, that's over $22K!) and was limited to 300 units. A small number of extra units with slightly different design were produced after that time. To this day, many still regard the HE 90 as the best-sounding headphone ever made. The amp, on the other hand, has been outclassed by the HeadAmp Aristaeus, which is an impoved adaptation of the HEV 90. There's no way I'm paying five figures for a collector's amp when I can get a better one for under $4K.

Does the BHSE outclass the Aristaeus? 

Nov 26, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #152 of 603
  Does the BHSE outclass the Aristaeus? 

Depends which headphones you are using, as well as bias voltage, and even then, it's a matter of preference. As I understand it, the Aristaeus was designed and voiced for the HE 90. Unsurprisingly, most people think the HE 90 sounds better with the Aristaeus, while generally speaking, the SR-009 and SR-007 are preferred with the BHSE, and the latter headphone needs the extra power. However, I do know at least one person who likes the SR-009 more with the Aristaeus than with the BHSE.

Here is an old comparison thread.

I kind of get the feeling that the DIY T2 would blow everything else out of the water for all three aforementioned headphones, but that's just based on conversations and research.

Nov 26, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #153 of 603
The Sennheiser Orpheus system (HE 90 headphones + HEV 90 amp) originally retailed for $12,900 in 1991 (adjusting for inflation, that's over $22K!) and was limited to 300 units. A small number of extra units with slightly different design were produced after that time. To this day, many still regard the HE 90 as the best-sounding headphone ever made. The amp, on the other hand, has been outclassed by the HeadAmp Aristaeus, which is an impoved adaptation of the HEV 90. There's no way I'm paying five figures for a collector's amp when I can get a better one for under $4K.

I've never heard the Orpheus myself but another member I was chatting to on PM mentioned he had heard them at a meeting along with the HD800 and HD600 and he preferred the HD800 over the Orpheus regardless of price and also said the HD600 wasn't that far behind the HD800 either, in his opinion.

I mean, opinions on anything will always vary, but I'm unsure that price is in line with actually sound quality?

Honestly, if I had $22k to spend right now, I'd spend it on lots of other things like clothes, a holiday etc, and not a pair of headphones but I'm not saying that someone who would spend them on headphones shouldn't, I guess it's just down to the individual, but I am shocked at what some members spend the kind of big money on audio equipment as a newcomer here! :)

Nov 26, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #154 of 603
I've never heard the Orpheus myself but another member I was chatting to on PM mentioned he had heard them at a meeting along with the HD800 and HD600 and he preferred the HD800 over the Orpheus regardless of price and also said the HD600 wasn't that far behind the HD800 either, in his opinion.

I mean, opinions on anything will always vary, but I'm unsure that price is in line with actually sound quality?

Honestly, if I had $22k to spend right now, I'd spend it on lots of other things like clothes, a holiday etc, and not a pair of headphones but I'm not saying that someone who would spend them on headphones shouldn't, I guess it's just down to the individual, but I am shocked at what some members spend the kind of big money on audio equipment as a newcomer here!
smily_headphones1.gif

There are all sorts of reasons to prefer X headphone over Y headphone. Personal preference reigns supreme, my friend!

Check out this battle of the flagships thread, particularly the sections for the HD 800 (#6) and Orpheus (#1). If you search for other comparisons, you may be appalled (as an HD 800 owner, I mean) at how poorly the HD 800 is spoken of in comparison to the Orpheus.

In that case, never, ever visit my wish list thread. hehehe...

Nov 26, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #156 of 603
There are all sorts of reasons to prefer X headphone over Y headphone. Personal preference reigns supreme, my friend!

Check out this battle of the flagships thread, particularly the sections for the HD 800 (#6) and Orpheus (#1). If you search for other comparisons, you may be appalled (as an HD 800 owner, I mean) at how poorly the HD 800 is spoken of in comparison to the Orpheus.

In that case, never, ever visit my wish list thread. hehehe...

Yes, I guess it's a case of horses for courses :)

Nov 30, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #157 of 603
Any rumours of flagship iem replacement before I pull trigger on ie800?

Dec 9, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #159 of 603
popcorn.gif

Dec 10, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #160 of 603
So the "Orpheus 2" is rumoured to cost approx $40-50K?

I mean, who on earth is going to pay out that kind of money for headphones?

Are they made from gold and diamonds?

Just seems such an absurdity in proposed cost.

Looks to me like most of the units will end up in the hands of noveau-riches without a clue.

Thanks, Sennheiser.

Dec 10, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #161 of 603
Considering the trend of the markets, Id say its going to be a Beats IEM rip off.

Dec 14, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #162 of 603
If I were Sennheiser, I'd make a new ultra high end flagship.  They would sell a few and if they could break even, it would be a positive to the brand.  I don't know if it's true today, but at one point they made Corvettes at breakeven to sell Cavaliers

Dec 17, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #163 of 603
Would be great with a new "Statement". Something to push Stax. Let the world know that Sennheiser is willing and able to show us the future and one again take the lead. If it is a signifikant betterment of what is thought possible so far then price is irrelevant. $ 50-100k does not matter and the amplifier cold be just as much. The only thing that matters is the bliss you experience. Would sell out in no time at all (relative the size of the market).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back