Rumor: New Sennheiser Flagship to be surfaced ........ soon
Dec 20, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #168 of 603
i seriously doubt sennheiser will waste their time releasing a new flagship when the current one is the best selling high end pair of cans on the planet. they are certainly doing research. for a lot of time sennheiser has been focusing on lower end stuff for the simple reason that hd 800 is still the best dynamic cans you can buy. if you want better you have not many options. where can you find this level of comfort and sound quality and soundstage at that price? plus they are not that hard to drive and they scale like olympus moons. also the fact is that most hd 800 owners d'ont even have a proper rig to hear them at their best. they have bought the cans, but they d'ont have enough budget to build a super rig around them. hd 800 is like a diva. if you want to hear these cans sing you gonna have to invest in a very good dac and amplifier. that is why they are still relevant and still the flagship. instead of wishing for an hd 800 replacement because you think hd 800 d'ont sound good enough, invest in a better dac and amp. your hd 800 can take it.

Dec 20, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #169 of 603
My final recipe for the HD850, in order of importance:

- fix the 6kHz peak (without losing treble extension)
- no paint chipping (it's an expensive headphone, c'mon)
- bit more bass (+2dB under 120Hz) without increased distortion
- better driver matching (measurements for both channels included in the box - no crappy bar graph though)
- all black version including the metal mesh
- replace the jack with another smaller jack that doesn't break so easily
- better looking Y splitter
- price it at 1900 to undercut the LCD3

Then make  the aforementioned Orpheus II something clearly better that what I just described. Because you can? :wink:

Good luck, Sennheiser!  This message will self destroy in  the next 10 posts. :)

Dec 23, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #174 of 603
Great news with an Orpheus II but I'm more excited about the Senn HD800 replacement if that is true.  

Dec 24, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #176 of 603
Sennheiser should definitely make a HD800C (C = closed)

A closed back version of the HD800
smily_headphones1.gif

Really hope they don't go in the direction of having a HD800C ... Be great for on the go listening .... but after having heard open can I personally feel that there isn't closed cans that can really reproduce that openess in space and soundstage.

Dec 24, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #177 of 603
A closed HD800 doesn't compute. But if you must, check out the Sony MDR-Z7. :)

Looking at photos of the Sony MDR-Z7, they look really heavy?

I've already got closed back headphones by Sennheiser, the Momentum, which are totally amazing, IMO, and maybe this shows that Sennheiser could perhaps make a really awesome closed back version of the HD800 as, as far as I understand, Sennheiser have the very best sound engineers in the world, so maybe if anyone could make an excellent closed back headphone to compliment the current HD800, which from what I've read here at Head-Fi, is regarded as the best "dynamic" headphone in the world, then Sennheiser certainly could pull it off?

Really hope they don't go in the direction of having a HD800C ... Be great for on the go listening .... but after having heard open can I personally feel that there isn't closed cans that can really reproduce that openess in space and soundstage.

I think a portable closed back version of the HD800 maybe could be an audiophile dream headphone and as I've already mentioned, Sennheiser definitely have the expertise to do such IMO :)

Dec 24, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #178 of 603

That's obviously a given, but some headphones have been able to replicate some of that openness in a closed can (AKG K550 comes to mind). If AKG cna do it, Sennheiser probably can, as well.

Although back on topic, if Sennheiser will go through with a successor to the HD800 or a totally new statement can, they're much more likely to go with an open can. I mean, if they're going to pour their generations of engineering expertise into one can, then might as well use the best platform to start with.

EDIT: Also, @eugenius, your message about your expectations for the HD850 shoudl self-destruct right about now. 
wink.gif

Dec 24, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #179 of 603
Looking at photos of the Sony MDR-Z7, they look really heavy?

I've already got closed back headphones by Sennheiser, the Momentum, which are totally amazing, IMO, and maybe this shows that Sennheiser could perhaps make a really awesome closed back version of the HD800 as, as far as I understand, Sennheiser have the very best sound engineers in the world, so maybe if anyone could make an excellent closed back headphone to compliment the current HD800, which from what I've read here at Head-Fi, is regarded as the best "dynamic" headphone in the world, then Sennheiser certainly could pull it off?
I think a portable closed back version of the HD800 maybe could be an audiophile dream headphone and as I've already mentioned, Sennheiser definitely have the expertise to do such IMO
smily_headphones1.gif

True that for portable usage. But personally i'm no the kind that likes to carry a pair of cans while travelling so not really something I look forward to.

That's obviously a given, but some headphones have been able to replicate some of that openness in a closed can (AKG K550 comes to mind). If AKG cna do it, Sennheiser probably can, as well.

Although back on topic, if Sennheiser will go through with a successor to the HD800 or a totally new statement can, they're much more likely to go with an open can. I mean, if they're going to pour their generations of engineering expertise into one can, then might as well use the best platform to start with.

EDIT: Also, @eugenius, your message about your expectations for the HD850 shoudl self-destruct right about now. 
wink.gif

Yupp like you said work on the best and make it even better :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back