Rumor: New Sennheiser Flagship to be surfaced ........ soon
Aug 25, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #46 of 603
  The big question about the Orpheus2 is: Will it support DSD 512 or even more? I'm thinking for 50k it must come with it's own DSD rate. :)

lol XD

The amp wasn't explicitly mentioned because it doesn't need an amp, audio files, or even cables. All you have to do is think about music and voilà! You are instantly transported to the holy source of whatever your melodious heart desires.
tongue.gif

Aug 26, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #52 of 603
  US$48,700. The HF community is about to lose some kidneys.

Sennheiser needs to pull and Apple and hype up the fact that these E-Stats will be crazy expensive then, at their demo-show, display "$48,700" on a large screen only to have a zero (Or TWO!) disappear leaving an actual price that is attainable by the masses.  It would be a marketing win for them with all the buzz it would create. 

Aug 27, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #55 of 603
Certainly an HD800mk2 at 1800USD would look cheap if it gets you 95% SQ of an 50kUSD Orpheus 2 system, even if it included dac and amp which it must at that insane price!

Personally, the most it would do to me is probably push me closer to a source upgrade as it would feel silly feeding a 50kUSD system with garbage !

Certainly exciting to have Sennheiser acknowledge again that stat is really when the ultimate lies at :wink:

arnaud

Aug 27, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #57 of 603
I'd guess Sennheiser will pitch the headphone at just under £5k and do likewise for the amplifier, if it is an unlimited run. This will create a decent premium above the 009 level creating some ownership exclusivity but also trade-in or sale possibilities for 009 owners.

That's if the economics stack up.

If that's not economic then I guess Sennheiser will pitch the prices at double these levels or more, predicated on (initially at least) a limited production run. Worldwide the market for exotic hifi is still healthy enough - at the Munich hifi show they were selling turntables at €100,000, or at least trying to!

Aug 27, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #58 of 603
  I'd guess Sennheiser will pitch the headphone at just under £5k and do likewise for the amplifier, if it is an unlimited run. This will create a decent premium above the 009 level creating some ownership exclusivity but also trade-in or sale possibilities for 009 owners.

If that's not economic then I guess Sennheiser will pitch the prices at double these levels or more, predicated on (initially at least) a limited production run. Worldwide the market for exotic hifi is still healthy enough - at the Munich hifi show they were selling turntables at €100,000, or at least trying to!

Yeah, if the Orpheus 2 has SQ better than that of the SR009 & Abyss, then at $5-6K it will almost certainly sell very very well.
At the preposterous, outrageous price of 50k? HELL no, unless it blows the living day lights out of the SR009 & Abyss, and truly transcends what kind of SQ has been possible with headphones so far.

If Sennheiser is smart about this (I really hope they will be), they will price the Orpheus 2 under 10k.

Aug 27, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #59 of 603

Man, if it's released at $5K instead of $50K, I'll buy it the second it comes out!

If it's anything like the original Orpheus, it will come as a system, with the amplifier.

...But if it's £5K, that's over $8K.
tongue.gif

Aug 27, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #60 of 603

Man, if it's released at $5K instead of $50K, I'll buy it the second it comes out!

If it's anything like the original Orpheus, it will come as a system, with the amplifier.

...But if it's £5K, that's over $8K.
tongue.gif

I don't see it being $5k per unit - I was suggesting £5k or $8k per unit (although our VAT at 20% does make a difference when compared with your sales tax at 5%). I'm just making the point that the economics might work at £5k per unit if they can sell lots but at £10k or £15k per unit if they can only sell a modest number. 

And I'm not sure I see it competing with both the 009 and the Abyss which are quite different units sound wise. Apart from on the usual grounds of exclusivity of ownership.

It would be interesting, before it is launched, for prospective owners, specifically those currently owning the 009 or the Abyss, to cite what are the deficiencies of their existing unit. There may not even be agreement on those issues!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back