Rugby World Cup 2007
Sep 8, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #16 of 129
Yeah...it looks like you mob from down under mean business this time round. England 'laboured' (to quote the BBC) to beat the USA. I'm not surprised as the Americans don't know too much about tactics, but boy! are they fit and ready for a battle...There is actually 2 rugby squads right here in sunny Rochester, which warmed the ol' heart when I moved here those many years ago, and the guys that play on them are huge....Thank god my playing days are long gone, I wouldn't fancy trying to tackle one of them...
blink.gif

Anyway, roll on tomorrow when we take on Portugal. A win there makes it a fine weekend for Scottish sport all round...
icon10.gif

Sep 9, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #17 of 129
I'm really looking forward to seeing what our boys can do against the Welshmen. I'm not expecting anything ridiculous, but with our roster changes I'm hoping for a competitive hard-fought game from our boys, if nothing else!

Sep 9, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #18 of 129
I am one of the few rare New Zealander's who HATES rugby.

But it doesn't really matter whether I support it or not, All Blacks will win.

Sep 9, 2007 at 1:52 PM Post #20 of 129
I am not supporting anyone really, except for the smaller nations that we don't get to see much outside the world cup. Samoa, Fiji etc they all have an attractive rugby and I hope they get far. All Blacks favourite as always, will they deliver this time?

Sep 9, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #21 of 129
All Blacks looked good againts Italy but still made some mistakes. I think they took things easier in the 2nd half. The Wallabies were just like school bullies. Picking on the smaller guys lol. The japs just didn't stand a chance against the big boys from Australia except for Gregan lol.

Sep 9, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #22 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by Afrikane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bok supporter checking in.
Looks like it is going to be one tough tournament. The ABs looked particularly lethal against Italy today and the Wallabies hardly broke a sweat in running over Japan, hopefully Wales will provide a sterner test.

So good to see this thread going. Thanks everyone!

I thought Wales was in real trouble at the beginning of the second half, but putting in Jones and Thomas seemed to do the trick to turn them around. They looked really good in the last 25 minutes. Really good!

Tuatara. I think you have a good point there. I think not getting out of 2nd gear has been the ABs Achilles heel in the past three world cups.

Fraseboy, there's hope for you yet!!!! Just teasing!

Nac, I thought England as the world champs looked absolutely terrible. Interesting that the US try came from a southern Pacificer!!! I thought the US played pretty well, but their second, third efforts with the loose ball needs work if they are going to get more possesion. With that, I think they can put up points.

Sep 9, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #23 of 129
Well, we had em down 17-9! Then... we kinda got tired and couldnt handle the replacements. Not a bad effort though!

Sep 9, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #24 of 129
Anyone seen the Springboks vs Samoa game? The first 50 minutes is the best I have seen in this world cup so far, not the most technical but hard, aggressive and bloody rugby. Too bad the ref was kinda blind, it could have been a much tighter match. The Samoans surely don't deserve the harsh scoreline but this will be certainly a tough group for England. And yeah I agree they looked terrible.

Nice lazy sunday for me so far with the US Open final in 2 hours as the icing on the cake. My support goes to Djokovic but my money to Federer.

Sep 9, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #25 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonkon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone seen the Springboks vs Samoa game? The first 50 minutes is the best I have seen in this world cup so far, not the most technical but hard, aggressive and bloody rugby. Too bad the ref was kinda blind, it could have been a much tighter match. The Samoans surely don't deserve the harsh scoreline but this will be certainly a tough group for England. And yeah I agree they looked terrible.

Nice lazy sunday for me so far with the US Open final in 2 hours as the icing on the cake. My support goes to Djokovic but my money to Federer.

The ref let this one get out of hand. Real shame. It could have been a really good match, tough and blooody as it was. Unfortunately, but understandably, I think the Samoans anger got the better of them and SA took advantage of that.

I think you're right about Federer, but his prior matches show he's vulnerable except when it comes to tiebreakers!

I'm watching GB and Philadephia. American football is no rugby!

Sep 10, 2007 at 7:41 AM Post #26 of 129
I don't really think it got out of hand. The Boks are known for their dirty play. The Samoans just gave as good as they got. I'd say this was part of their plan to unsettle the Boks.

I think the problem with Samoa and Fiji is their fitness. They are big lads but just can't run around for 80 minutes.

I agree that it was a great opening 30 minutes. Particularly as the Boks had almost all possession from the lineouts.

USA versus Tonga should be fun to watch.

Sep 10, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #28 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by padi89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Irish performance was terrible
frown.gif

I know. A bit surprising to tell you the truth. That second half was scary for the Irish...and they got a questionable try too!

Maybe you can look at it this way: they got whatever ails them out of the way now!

Sep 11, 2007 at 11:33 AM Post #29 of 129
Well joy joy joy!!! The England/USA match was actually on the telly last night. The US did not look out of place at all....Good for them. But I did get mighty ticked off at the plonkers at Versus (thats the channel carrying the matches) when I saw the commercial for the next match to be telecast...USA vs Tanga....I was like What! Doesn't anyone know it's TOnga for crying out loud
mad.gif
My kids were like 'don't get mad at the TV Dad, at least the game is on'...They've got a point I suppose, but really!!!! Oh well, I'll still be watching
biggrin.gif

Sep 11, 2007 at 12:06 PM Post #30 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by padi89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Irish performance was terrible
frown.gif

It's a shame that great rugby countries like Ireland, Wales and Scotland don't seem to have been able to relive the tremendous success they enjoyed in the '70s and '80s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back