Rudistor RP33 is home...!!!
Dec 25, 2004 at 10:05 PM Post #46 of 178
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
Let's see how this new Pinky performs, for now I was really impressed with the stock one honestly, I was expecting a more humble performance, and it sounded very good to me, but IMO and sorry to be a little sceptic the Pinky will be more in the league of the RP31 than in the RP33 one, remember that this is a dual mono amp, with two huge PSUs and two separate boards, a completelly different principle of topology......again I will be more than pleased of hearing it, and hey maybe we got the surprise of the year, but pricewise the comparison is a little rough for the little Pinky I think, but anyway we will see...BTW if you want I can pick you up in Manhattan for the meet just we have to agree on one place and period, and I can give you a ride if you guide me there to Queens...LOL...

Haha yeah looking at what's inside the Solo may not be as pretty, and they are different types of amps to be sure. But we'll let the ears be the judge! No worries about picking up in Manhattan, I can take the train and cab it over - i don't know how to drive anywhere so i would be useless as a guide on the streets!

Dec 25, 2004 at 10:11 PM Post #47 of 178
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
I know that this wasn't a review...which is important to make very clear. but while I agree with things that have been expressed in this thread from both points of view, I just feel that it got personal, and you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.
I feel this goes back long B4 this thread. I also believe that a person should go to a meet even if someone is there that isn't on your best friends' list, because no one should stop you from doing something that you are passionate about, and it might turn around into a positive experience.
Even Jesus didn't blame the Romans for what they did.

Aaron, as you may know, we all think differently, and we all have our own right to share the time with the persons that we like, or not, I'm really tired, of wasting time, and share it with a lot of people that make me feel bad (and even you offer your house for the persons "you know" IIRC, maybe for space limitation, or maybe for preference, not sure, you are free to do it either way anyway) But my refusal to go to that meeting I missed, was not becasue of Guru, Guru does not live in NYC, but I agree, that later on, he is becoming a little hostile with me (with no reason, I have never offended him) that I have to put him in that same cathegory, but if he had fallen there was not my fault...I just try to avoid at all costs, to go into discussions, hard feelings, without the need of, that is why I avoid to meet some people...period...I'm a very nice and easy going guy, people that have meet me, from here, or in any other place, knows that, but I'm very passionate and that is my main problem, this time I feel that I'm being a little bit, but honestly the gear in question is really up to my feeling, you will hear it, if I'm wrong I want ot tell that and state your honest opinion...We all hear differently, but I have to hear something really better yet, that is mainly why my interest in hearing the HR-2, that is considered an extremelly good amp (at least markl likes it, a fellow I really respect and consider in my recos)

BTW and well, the only negative point for the RP33 so far, is that it gets really warm.....

Dec 25, 2004 at 10:11 PM Post #48 of 178
Midtown tunnel to LIE to Springfield Blvd. 15 minutes. I will e-mail all attendees detailed directions, phone #'s and LIRR pick up times.
We're having a lovely time...wish you were here (The Who).

Let's do it tomorrow!

Dec 25, 2004 at 10:14 PM Post #49 of 178
I am looking forward to finally hearing one of rudis amps at the NYC mini-meet on Jan 30th.There will some educated ears as well top headphones & gear there.
Sovkiller is very taken with this amp,Nik loves them, not everyone will share thier preferance for them warrented or not .Since I have never heard one yet
I will have to wait till the 30th to see what they are commenting on.
This will give me an idea of what they are hearing & posting about.
Lets keep it civil on Headfi,you may not agree with what someone posts,Thats Ok .We are not sheep following the shepard,Everyone has thier preferances,me included.
Lets not chase manufactures away with hostile posts,it hurts us all in the end.
Remember guys this is a hobby.
Have a Merry Christmas
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 25, 2004 at 10:18 PM Post #50 of 178
Does this use Black Gates?

John

Dec 25, 2004 at 10:35 PM Post #52 of 178
Sov...I know who is the reason, for you not to go to the November meet, but it becomes your loss, and not his, when you didn't go.

As far as the heat issue...that could be a good thing in Northern Canada, but a bad thing in Florida. My KGSS got ridiculously hot, if not vented on the top. To put it in an 8" rack, Justin would have to add a cover with side openings. Also, with the on/off in the back, it was a watch scratching experience, just to turn it on. A lot of phono stages, and Ray Samuel's amps stay on all the time. I don't know if it cuts into the lifespan, but with electrostats, at least you know they are always ready to play.
What makes the RP33 so hot, and perhaps that is something that can be address in the RP34? As big as the Maestro is, the chassis is one giant heatsink, and it is cool to the touch. But that also might be due to a claimed 95% efficient PS.

Dec 25, 2004 at 10:39 PM Post #53 of 178
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
what about the rp6?

the weird part is how it goes for $1900 new but something like $700 used on ebay....all from rudi himself.

Can you help me understand that?

BTW: I am thinking of the rp6...used

Rudi told me about the used RP6-DQ on Ebay, but I couldn't find it.
Do you have a link?

Nik told me that the RP33 sounds better than the RP6 with the Qualias, because the Qualias pick up the noise from the tubes. I don't get that with the Maestro, but I can definitely say the 010's like a fast solid state amp.

Dec 25, 2004 at 10:45 PM Post #54 of 178
Quote:

As far as the heat issue...that could be a good thing in Northern Canada, but a bad thing in Florida. My KGSS got ridiculously hot, if not vented on the top. To put it in an 8" rack, Justin would have to add a cover with side openings. Also, with the on/off in the back, it was a watch scratching experience, just to turn it on. A lot of phono stages, and Ray Samuel's amps stay on all the time. I don't know if it cuts into the lifespan, but with electrostats, at least you know they are always ready to play.
What makes the RP33 so hot, and perhaps that is something that can be address in the RP34? As big as the Maestro is, the chassis is one giant heatsink, and it is cool to the touch. But that also might be due to a claimed 95% efficient PS.

Aaron, IMO, it is not that bad, just warm enough, more than other SS headphone amp, more than my PPA, more than the Perreaux, moret hna the RP31, but similar to my speaker amp (and it is not Class-A)...

The RP33 I have here, is on almost 24/7, and as I stated in my PM to you, it is not even hot like a tube amp, it is safe, you will not burn...and it is safe to be placed in any rack I have this one with the RP31 on top, and inside a rack, so no worries, just a remark on the negative points, as some of you also want to hear the negative points on it...

Dec 25, 2004 at 11:08 PM Post #55 of 178
Quote:

Rudi told me about the used RP6-DQ on Ebay, but I couldn't find it.
Do you have a link?

Nik told me that the RP33 sounds better than the RP6 with the Qualias, because the Qualias pick up the noise from the tubes. I don't get that with the Maestro, but I can definitely say the 010's like a fast solid state amp.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...739139724&rd=1

Dec 26, 2004 at 1:09 AM Post #57 of 178
Quote:

Thanks for the link. $50 is a lot for shipping.

Not really, Aaron the RP6 weights about 9Kg, (nearly 20lbs packaged) and he uses to ship FedEx Priority...just find out, and you will see how much is in fact the shipping (he may have an account with them, honestly, I don't see the logic of using such an expensive method of shipping)...

As an exmaple just just the Perreaux (4lbs) to Australia, cost me about 40.00 EMS, and by USPS not FedEx....

The costs of a fast overseas shipment is very expensive. Rudi have paid about $210 to get an instrument of 25lbs shipped from Boston to Italy (and waited three weeks to get it by USPS) So IMO 50 dollars is a really bargain for an internatinal shipping from Italy.

Just if you do a search, with their caculator, the standard price for Fedex Priority shipment of 20 lbs (like RP6) to US is about $200.00. Of course that he probably have an account with them and I pay much less, but I don't think that 50$ will be anything similar to the final figure for him.

A note from him:

"....I use Fedex because I want the shipping to be fast and also they usually (at least more than any other) take good care about the goods. As you probably know from my sales policy in case of DOA, I replace completely the amp with a fresh new one, if this happen frquently I completely loose the business, this is why I prefer an expensive but fast and safe shipment, to any other, and I hope the customers will appreciate this...."

Dec 26, 2004 at 8:53 AM Post #58 of 178
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Do you have both?

What headphones can you test with. I know you have Qualia but do you have anything else? PS1 ?

Guru,

you know my attitude with headphones and amps. I had all the TOP cans (exept the Orpheus), I had a lot of amps, tubes, SS and hibryd.

The Qualia is the last can and the one I keep as the result of the best in the entire list. The RP010 is the best amp for the Qualia that IMO is the best can, so... please do not forghet that we are speaking of "dedicated" amps (as the RP series are), dedicated specifically to one headphones, the CD 3000 or the Qualia or the HD 650 (as the hybrid series: RP5...).

As I said many times, when I say "the best" I'm thinking to the most neutral systems, when I say "neutral" I 'm thinking to the most coherent (fidelity) with the recording we are listening.

Best!
Nicola

PS:
As you know I had the PS1.

Dec 26, 2004 at 2:30 PM Post #59 of 178
Unfortunately since the Qualia is out of my price range and since I dont consider the CD-3000 to be a High Fidelity headphone - I am only interested in impressions with :-

HD-650
MS2 / SR-225
MS-Pro / RS-1
PS1

If anyone can shed the light on this it will be great...

Dec 26, 2004 at 2:42 PM Post #60 of 178
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
what about the rp6?

the weird part is how it goes for $1900 new but something like $700 used on ebay....all from rudi himself.

Can you help me understand that?

BTW: I am thinking of the rp6...used

I will explain that to you, as Rudi ask me to clear a few things:

The RP6 on ebay was a used demo, budget version (no DACT) this is why the price was so low BTW it was sold, but you will not find any other RP6 at this price. Rudi do not like and never sell any amp coming from any customers (returns) as new, this is why sometimes you will see a few demos going around on eBay (but not very often, as just a minimal numbers of customers returned his amps to him, or upgrade them for the next model)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back