Rudistor RP010-B .... about to pull the trigger
Apr 9, 2009 at 1:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

johnnylexus

500+ Head-Fier
Somebody please save me from myself. I'm so tempted to pull the trigger on one of these solid state beauties. I sent an email to Rudi and he said it would take 20-30 days. So much money. Should I do it????

Apr 9, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #2 of 22
Wow.... I would have to say no, maybe something a little cheaper would fit your need. Even though this amp is absolutely gorgeous! Ugh! If i had the money i would be tempted also. On the other hand if you can afford it then why not
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #3 of 22
No, you should not!
You should sell all your worldly toys and join a monastery.

Apr 9, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #5 of 22
That won't be too difficult:

- I purchased a new unit direct from Rudi end of last year
- Everything went very smoothly till the morning I received it:
> Check this out: FirstShipment pictures by acharpen - Photobucket
> First 2 pics: looks like somebody got confused with male/female XLRs. And, oh dang, someone also went color blind when installing the RCA plugs.
> Third pic: hard to see but this white piece through the grill bounces around. It turns out it's the spray glue of the interior ID plate which did not hold the air freight from Italy to Japan
> Subsequent pics: double box is smartly done: use of paper and nothing in the corners. Mind you, this is just a 13kg amplifier. Obviously it got punched through during shipping.
- I send it straight back to Italy, I did not even try to plug it

- Quick turn around (especially considering xmas season. On that standpoint, Rudi is really good with responding to emails), the amp comes back around January:
> This time it's all neat from the outside
> I take a chance to inaugurate my APS v3 recabled Edition 9 with furutech XLR plugs
> For the next 1 hour, I will have the chance to switch 3 to 4 times between balanced and single ended mode
> On the last plug-in, I hear drop outs on one channel, it gets worse
> Finally I realize that one of the headphone XLR plugs is recessed into the chassis: SecondShipment pictures by acharpen - Photobucket
> Per Rudi's words, XLRs are "press fitted at high temperature" while the super glue is just there as additional safety
> In my book, it is still an amateur super glue job. No XLR system ever should be hold by glue. There's way too much torque applied with these plugs
> Rudi's comments: I must be using crap connectors (note: these are 70 bucks a piece FP601M which I bought in Japan from Oyaide)

- Amongst other things, I had time to notice high hiss with the Ed9 in balanced mode:
> You could hear it slightly in unbalanced but it was really not subtle in balanced mode (at low or zero volume).
> It was actually loud and joined by humm when moving the pot above 10AM (explainable when you read about the gain issue below)
> My Lehmann Audio is dead silent with the same source (Yamamoto YDA-01) at any volume, I got spoiled I guess
> Per Sovkiller's assement when the amp was shipped back the US for repair, there was no hiss whatsoever. So, it must have been my setup (need a cheater plug in Japan and voltage is slightly lower).

- Another issue was the gain:
> I could go past the 1st graduation in balanced mode for the Edition 9
> I guess I listen at low volumes plus my DAC outputs 3V out so that did not help

- Last issue was simply the synergy:
> The balance of my system was laying too much on the warm side (too much bass). It turns out the DAC matches better with the Lehmann amp which is brighter than the RP010
> The HD650 (listened only in unbalanced mode) sounded liveless, they really sound much more alive through the Black Cube
> Of course I am not saying the Lehmann is a better amp. It isn't. The RP010's bass goes much lower and very tight. Soundstage is very deep in the RP010 and the highs are clearly smoother. This jumps at you in short listen. But really, I think it would pair better with a neutral source. My dac is quite warm (but sounds fantastic with the Lehmann BCL!).

- So anyhow, in face of the 300USD shipping fee one-way every time a repair is needed (which could be often just with the plugs), I did not want to take any more chance.
- Rudistor kindly agreed to reimburse what I had paid in full provided I paid the shipment back to the US for repair / refund.
- It went very smoothly actually until I received a new bill two weeks ago:
> It's actually a rebill from FedEx as Rudi's shipping agent refused to pay for the shipping when I sent it back the first time
> I tried to deal with Rudi but he's been down right offensive
> He's now threatening to charge me 1300 Euros for the damages I caused to him

- I had before told him I would not post anything online if I got my money back but this time I've had it of his business style (I won't post his messages on this board, but in summary: it's never the guy's fault and you are an idiot):
> So there you have it my friend, this is my tale of caution if you want to buy an RP010 from Rudi.
> This trial of the RP010 will have been costly (import duties in Japan, 250 dollars shipment to the US for repair / refund and now another 400 dollars for the first shipment back to Italy due to Rudi's negligence, the very expensive recabling of my HD650's and Ed9 - fortunately I got a balanced to single ended cable made by APS at the same !)
> On the positive side, this has cleared me from headphone upgraditis for a good while I think!
> My impression of Rudi: the guy might be a genius of electric circuits but his craftmanship looks really amateur compared to German and other Japanese products. As for the packaging, well, Yamamoto-san would also have some to teach him...
> On the RP010 amp itself, it might indeed be a sonic gem, but the case is a waste of aluminum (these radiators are pretty much only here to make it look nasty) and a waste of energy to ship around.

regards,
arnaud.

Apr 9, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnaud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That won't be too difficult:

- Amongst other things, I had time to notice high hiss with the Ed9 in balanced mode:
> You could hear it slightly in unbalanced but it was really not subtle in balanced mode (at low or zero volume).
> It was actually loud and joined by humm when moving the pot above 10AM (explainable when you read about the gain issue below)
> My Lehmann Audio is dead silent with the same source (Yamamoto YDA-01) at any volume, I got spoiled I guess
> Per Sovkiller's assement when the amp was shipped back the US for repair, there was no hiss whatsoever. So, it must have been my setup (need a cheater plug in Japan and voltage is slightly lower).

- Another issue was the gain:
> I could go past the 1st graduation in balanced mode for the Edition 9
> I guess I listen at low volumes plus my DAC outputs 3V out so that did not help

- Last issue was simply the synergy:
> The balance of my system was laying too much on the warm side (too much bass). It turns out the DAC matches better with the Lehmann amp which is brighter than the RP010
> The HD650 (listened only in unbalanced mode) sounded liveless, they really sound much more alive through the Black Cube
> Of course I am not saying the Lehmann is a better amp. It isn't. The RP010's bass goes much lower and very tight. Soundstage is very deep in the RP010 and the highs are clearly smoother. This jumps at you in short listen. But really, I think it would pair better with a neutral source. My dac is quite warm (but sounds fantastic with the Lehmann BCL!).

arnaud.

Wow ...

Apr 9, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #9 of 22
If you're aiming for the high-end of the balanced amp spectrum, you might also want to consider the Headamp GS-X or RSA Apache. Both are excellent amps, and GS-X is considered an especially neutral and transparent amp. The AMB beta 22 is also a very highly regarded amp but is a DIY project unless you can find an already built amp for sale or find a professional builder. Admittedly the new Headroom balanced offerings appear (on paper) quite competitive and HR has a solid reputation for customer service (as do RSA and Headamp). The HR ultra amp/dac is a new product, so there would naturally be limited experience with it and no reviews yet.

It sounds you could be taking a bit of a chance going with the Rudistor, although I'm sure many folks out there are quite happy with them. I would be very cautious myself spending the money for a RP010-B, especially "sight unseen" and with the prospect of having potential build-quality and/or customer service problems with such an expensive piece of equipment.

Apr 9, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #10 of 22
I have not heard the other amps listed, so I can't give you any comparative data, but I am extremely impressed by the performance of my RSA Apache. Furthermore, Ray Samuels is a pleasure to deal with. In fact, he apparently continues to tinker with the design to see if he can make improvements, and he has recently been doing upgrades of previously sold Apaches without charge to their owners. You cannot beat customer service like this.

Apr 9, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #11 of 22
It is a real shame that when considering a top-level balanced amp today one concern needs to be "Will it arrive broken" and another is "will I ever see it."

Nonetheless, that's where we are.

Both SinglePower and Rudistor are notorious, to varying degrees, about customer dissatisfaction. Neither Ray Samuels nor Headamp have a problem in that department. Headamp tends to take somewhat longer to deliver, but when they do you receive an excellent product with the utmost attention to detail.

Apr 9, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #13 of 22
I am very happy with my GS-X and there is actually one on the FS forums right now
smily_headphones1.gif

It's a wire with gain which is how a good amp should be. I have also owned a balanced beta22 for 8 weeks and decided that and I am happy with the GS-X.

The headroom ultra desktop balanced could possibly be a good option too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back