Rudistor realeased a new flagship amp
Mar 27, 2011 at 9:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 172

fdhfdy

1000+ Head-Fier
Priced at 4200$ shipped world wide (reduced from 4999$), looks promising. They also have rpp35,which is predecessor of rp33 if am correct.

http://www.rudistor.com/RP030.htm

Mar 28, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #3 of 172
What part of this amp looks promising exactly?

I'm amused by the "[size=x-small]RP030 are handcreafted at RudiStor R&D labs in Italy following a trdition of outstanding qulity and style" statement[/size] when he or whoever manages that website can't even spell the word correctly.
Even if he is not a native English speaker, there is just no excuse to this kind of sloppiness. Just using a spell check feature would correct most of these errors and make it look slightly better, even if the grammar is somewhat awkward, but that whole description looks like he wrote it in 5 minutes on a phone touchpad or something.

Similar to that portable amplifier that they released a while back, the whole product description reads like "this amp is very very good and uses very very good parts so it is the best" but doesn't or barely mentions anything substantial in the way of technology/parts used.
Nor are there any pictures of the internals just like with the portable, of which the internals were cheap looking to say the least.
Only this time it's about 10 times as expensive as well, for $5000 one would expect better.

I'm really baffled by why anyone would buy these amps when there are so many alternatives out there that do present their product in a proper and more open manner at non extortion rates.

Mar 28, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #5 of 172
There are NO opamps in this unit.  (well maybe in the switchers)

The input stage is a dual fet  (black transistors) with a current
sink (one of the round metal cans) (differential input and gain stage)

The output stage is pair of darlington transistors
(one metal can and one tab transistor on a heatsink)
with a 150 ohm resistor load. (bc140 and TIP3055)

The output is capacitor coupled.

This is a variation of the same circuit rudi has been using for
a very long time now.

There does not seem to be any feedback whatsoever.

The claim of .01% thd is dubious at best.

The motorized pot is horrible.

And switchers as the power supplies ??

Mar 28, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #6 of 172
Chassis mounted heatsinks have no real purpose so they are just there to make the amp look impressive.  Same crappy PCB's as we've come to expect from Rudi, ever heard of ground and power planes?  All the noise issues that come with these circuits are here plus the drifting, capacitor coupled output and a cheap Alps RK27 pot which has to be shielded.  This is the norm from all of the SS Rudistor amps and they are all horrible but now he goes one better and uses switching PSU's?  Then he tops it all off with a cheap volume knob off ebay?

Mar 28, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #8 of 172
Spitzer are you real or just an avatar of Gilmore behind a proxy? I can't believe you exist, you are a kind of echo of him, btw the heatsinks are fixed to a base of 4mm aluminum, to this base are fixed the loads of current mirrors, all the assembly ( base plus side heatsinks ) work together as heat dissipating systems.

Regards
Rudi Stor

Ps surprised to be still a member, I never look to this forum , but annoyed to wait my flight to HK I surfed ..... Who is in HK in the next few days can meet me and the RP030 at my showroom ....Why there is in iqube as my avatar is a mystery ..... Don't look a real independent forum.......,

Mar 28, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #9 of 172
Well, my RP010B sure sounds nice with my LCD2s. It really gives the Audezes some much-needed control in the mids and lower mids (and upper mids, too).
Rudi's amp is the only one of my (4) amps that can pull this off.

Mar 28, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #10 of 172

Quote:
Spitzer are you real or just an avatar of Gilmore behind a proxy? I can't believe you exist, you are a kind of echo of him, btw the heatsinks are fixed to a base of 4mm aluminum, to this base are fixed the loads of current mirrors, all the assembly ( base plus side heatsinks ) work together as heat dissipating systems.

Regards
Rudi Stor

Ps surprised to be still a member, I never look to this forum , but annoyed to wait my flight to HK I surfed ..... Who is in HK in the next few days can meet me and the RP030 at my showroom ....Why there is in iqube as my avatar is a mystery ..... Don't look a real independent forum.......,

ok, i'll try to meet you on either thurday or friday at the showroom.  looking forward

Mar 28, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #11 of 172
Gotta love the chassis heat sinks. 
blink.gif

Mar 28, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #12 of 172
RK27 in a $5k amp??  That pot costs about 10 bucks ( http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=rk27 ) and is what I used in my budget $200 amp.  I've seen $5k amps use RK50 or DACT volume controls.  Seems the Rudistor stuff is about building with the cheapest stuff possible and charging wild amounts.  As we've learned with all sighted listening, more expensive = better, right?

Mar 29, 2011 at 6:48 AM Post #14 of 172

Quote:
$5000 for that, lol.

If you think that is funny how about this one.
http://www.bellatoneaudio.com/

a b22 in a fancy case for well in excess of $10k

There is a lot of equipment out there that is worth $5k or more.
Rudi's latest is not on my list.
Neither are balanced gainclones with more than 100 volts of peak to peak voltage swing.

There are pictures of Birgir at CJ010. He has me beat by
well over 1 foot, and well over 100 lbs.  Not the same person
biggrin.gif

I sure wish i could bake pastries at birgir's level of excellence.

Mar 29, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #15 of 172
I kept up with the progress of that Bellatone amp, and it cost a crippling amount of money to custom make/machine all of its parts.  It's probably one of the few amps out there that costs nearly as much to make as to buy, it'd have to be mass produced to lower its cost.  At least pick the right amp to diss on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back