RSA Raptor vs WOO WA5 LE with parts upgrade for HD800
Oct 22, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #46 of 48

Quote:
Four for $800? does it worth the money? Are driver tubs very important on WA5-LE?

Yes the driver tube imo will have the most impact on your amps overall sound.

As far as being worth the money, yes these tubes are worth the money. Good luck finding tubes like these they are brand new!!!

You just got a $5000 amp, why look for so called bargains with these tubes. 
Example, a good seller on ebay was just selling the TSRP's for $175 each. I got one of these tubes but I had to send it back because it had a loose base and two of the pins looked like there was a spark arcing. There was at-least one other buyer that had to send a set back because of a loose base.

When you are buying CLT (USA Navy) TSRP's or any military tube, the military (in this case USA Navy) will inspect the batch of tubes and if found not to meet there standards will be rejected by the military. In the case of the tube I sent back there where no inspection stickers on the box, however with the link I gave the boxes have these stickers on them. I am not suggesting you buy from this seller all I am doing is showing you what to look for. Matter of fact in your case I would not buy all four unless you have somebody that wants two of the four.

btw; the tubes you just got, I think you will need adapters for those tubes. Be careful were you place the external wires on the adapters, you don't want the wires to touch each other or touch your power tubes. In my case there is no way I would use those tubes.
1st, because of the adapters and wires. Can cause harmonics.
2nd, the size of these tubes. You will find that these tubes (same as with the CV181Z) will be a very tight fit and come very close to your power tubes. This is one reason why I went with the TSRP's because they are a much better fit and most anybody will tell you that you can't go wrong with these tubes. .

Oct 22, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #47 of 48

Quote:
He might be good and reliable seller but his prices seem too high. I funny that most of his pair of 6SN7 tubes are $250 no matter what.

I could care less who anybody buys from, if something bothers you then don't buy from them.
All I can do is suggest a seller based on what I know and what I hear, but as any wise buyer knows you still have to beware of the seller and ask questions about what you are getting.

In my WA5LE there is no need for me to buy anymore tubes, I know that I have the best of the best in my Amp and PS. Yes I paid up for the TSRP's and WE300B's tubes but I wish anybody good luck getting tubes of this quality for less.
I have had enough fun getting bargain tubes with my other tube Amp's and ending up with a draw full of tubes that I paid for but don't use.
So with my WA5LE, I didn't spend $5000 only to use second best tubes. I wanted the best dynamic Amp I could get, and that is what I have ended up with. And yes I could replace the Amp but I would be very hard pressed to replace the tubes and for what I paid for them.
I am not suggesting to anybody to go to the extreme that I have gone to, its just food for thought.

Oct 26, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #48 of 48

I also have to vouch for this seller.  I bought my pair of TS RP from him and never before have I received such a nice pair of tubes from another seller.  These were in amazing condition, perfectly matched,  and came with original boxes.  Shipping was very fast on top of that.  This seller doesn't sell old or worn out tubes, that tend to have bad lifespan and performance.

Quote:
I am not commenting on the tubes but on the seller, you have found a very good seller.  I got my 2 pairs of TSRP's from John.

You may want to check this thread out.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/117677/the-reference-6sn7-thread

I see John has four of the same TSPR's I got from him for sale.
http://cgi.ebay.com/TUNG-SOL-6SN7-MATCHED-QUAD-ROUND-PLATE-CTL-6SN7GT-NOS-/190441890623?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2c5738a33f

Users who are viewing this thread

Back