RSA Raptor vs WOO WA5 LE with parts upgrade for HD800
post-7006864
Post #16 of 48

actuary616

New Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
26
Reaction score
10
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Posts
26
Likes
10
Many thanks to everyone!
I just ordered a WA5-LE with parts and sockets upgrades, as well as Sophia 274B rectifiers from Jack. I will order Shuguang Treasure 300B and CV-181Z tubes from Grandfidelity soon.
 
     Share This Post       
post-7006870
Post #17 of 48

jc9394

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 6, 2006
Messages
5,921
Reaction score
57
Joined
Feb 6, 2006
Posts
5,921
Likes
57


Quote:
Many thanks to everyone!
I just ordered a WA5-LE with parts and sockets upgrades, as well as Sophia 274B rectifiers from Jack. I will order Shuguang Treasure 300B and CV-181Z tubes from Grandfidelity soon.


Ask Jack to swap the Sophia to EML 5U4G, it is less than $100 each but you will never regret with this. 
 
     Share This Post       
post-7006900
Post #18 of 48

musicman59

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 27, 2004
Messages
4,498
Reaction score
576
Location
Canton, MI
Joined
May 27, 2004
Location
Canton, MI
Posts
4,498
Likes
576
Congratulations!!
The Sophia are very nice too. I received a pair with my amplifier by mistake instead of the EML so I used them for about a week. They soundded very good. I would be happy with them but I paid in advanced for the EML so sent them back and waited for my EML.
 
Th CV181Z were my upgraded driver tubes from jack in my order. They are very nice and dynamic. Less warmer than the Tungsol 6SN7GT Black Glass/Round Plates or the RCA smoke glass. I think latter you should talk to Will (PM I sent you) about the Sylvania Brown Base/Chrome tops 6SN7WGT. I thik you will like those. Also the found that the Ken-Rad V231 Black Glass/Stagger Plates are great with open headphones like the HD800 becuase they are bass monsters without missing much in the midrange and high frequencies..
 
Any specific reason why to go with the Shuguang treasure 300B?
If you can not go all the way to the EML 300B Mesh I woul probably go then to the Sophia Princess 300B Mesh. the later you can upgrade the rectifier and 300B to EML. Just my opinion.
 
http://www.sophiaelectric.com/
 
     Share This Post       
post-7007169
Post #19 of 48

actuary616

New Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
26
Reaction score
10
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Posts
26
Likes
10
Where to buy EML 5U4G? and how much does it cost? Thank you.

 
Quote:
Ask Jack to swap the Sophia to EML 5U4G, it is less than $100 each but you will never regret with this. 


 
     Share This Post       
post-7007243
Post #20 of 48

actuary616

New Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
26
Reaction score
10
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Posts
26
Likes
10
I saw a couple WA5 users recommend Shuguang Treasure 300B.
 
     Share This Post       
post-7007303
Post #21 of 48

dmac03

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 14, 2010
Messages
255
Reaction score
15
Joined
May 14, 2010
Posts
255
Likes
15


Quote:
Where to buy EML 5U4G? and how much does it cost? Thank you.

 

 

You can order from Jack, there are a few distributors that can you can find on the EML website. Unfortunately I haven't had much luck getting one. I purchased just one tube from one of those distributors about a week and a half ago and have yet to see any progress with the order. I hope you have better luck than I.
 
     Share This Post       
post-7007306
Post #22 of 48

musicman59

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 27, 2004
Messages
4,498
Reaction score
576
Location
Canton, MI
Joined
May 27, 2004
Location
Canton, MI
Posts
4,498
Likes
576
     Share This Post       
post-7007309
Post #23 of 48

actuary616

New Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
26
Reaction score
10
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Posts
26
Likes
10
What 300B do you recommend? I choose Shuguang Treasure 300B because a couple WA5 users recommended this one.

 
Quote:
Congratulations!!
The Sophia are very nice too. I received a pair with my amplifier by mistake instead of the EML so I used them for about a week. They soundded very good. I would be happy with them but I paid in advanced for the EML so sent them back and waited for my EML.
 
Th CV181Z were my upgraded driver tubes from jack in my order. They are very nice and dynamic. Less warmer than the Tungsol 6SN7GT Black Glass/Round Plates or the RCA smoke glass. I think latter you should talk to Will (PM I sent you) about the Sylvania Brown Base/Chrome tops 6SN7WGT. I thik you will like those. Also the found that the Ken-Rad V231 Black Glass/Stagger Plates are great with open headphones like the HD800 becuase they are bass monsters without missing much in the midrange and high frequencies..
 
Any specific reason why to go with the Shuguang treasure 300B?
If you can not go all the way to the EML 300B Mesh I woul probably go then to the Sophia Princess 300B Mesh. the later you can upgrade the rectifier and 300B to EML. Just my opinion.
 
http://www.sophiaelectric.com/


 
     Share This Post       
post-7007974
Post #24 of 48

musicman59

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 27, 2004
Messages
4,498
Reaction score
576
Location
Canton, MI
Joined
May 27, 2004
Location
Canton, MI
Posts
4,498
Likes
576


Quote:
What 300B do you recommend? I choose Shuguang Treasure 300B because a couple WA5 users recommended this one.

 

 
I have the EML 300B Mesh and really like them. I have read that the Sophia Princess Carbon Plates are very nice and also the KR 300B are pretty good.
http://www.kraudioproducts.com/Kr/ProductDetail.aspx?CatID=13&ProductID=147
 
     Share This Post       
post-7008101
Post #25 of 48

actuary616

New Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
26
Reaction score
10
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Posts
26
Likes
10
Do you think they are superior to Shuguang treasure 300B? or just a preference issue?
 
Quote:
I have the EML 300B Mesh and really like them. I have read that the Sophia Princess Carbon Plates are very nice and also the KR 300B are pretty good.
http://www.kraudioproducts.com/Kr/ProductDetail.aspx?CatID=13&ProductID=147


 
     Share This Post       
post-7008680
Post #26 of 48

sillysally

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
1,560
Reaction score
21
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Posts
1,560
Likes
21

 
Quote:
Many thanks to everyone!
I just ordered a WA5-LE with parts and sockets upgrades, as well as Sophia 274B rectifiers from Jack. I will order Shuguang Treasure 300B and CV-181Z tubes from Grandfidelity soon.

I have the same amp and upgrades with a Alps RK50 pot.
Forget about the Sophia and CV-181Z, Get a pair of EML 5U4G's and a very nice matched pair of NOS 6SN7GT round plates circa 1942 too 1945.
I am keeping my pair of Treasure 300B's as a back up, sold my CV-181Z's.
I have also heard that the Sophia Princess Carbon Plates are good.
But if you want to really have something extra special and a great match for the TSRP's, then there is no substitute for the pre mid 60's NOS matched pair and date code WE300B's. Not only are the WE300B's King of the hill for 300B's but they really let the TSRP's go to there full potential, the other 300B's I have tried just seem to hold back the TSRP's and don't really cut it when compared to my WE300B's in are WA5LE's.
 
One word of caution with the NOS TSRP's and especially the per mid 60's NOS WE300B's is they are very hard to find in new condition, so buyer beware!!!
 
     Share This Post       
post-7008685
Post #27 of 48

sillysally

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
1,560
Reaction score
21
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Posts
1,560
Likes
21

 
Quote:
I have the EML 300B Mesh and really like them. I have read that the Sophia Princess Carbon Plates are very nice and also the KR 300B are pretty good.
http://www.kraudioproducts.com/Kr/ProductDetail.aspx?CatID=13&ProductID=147

fwiw, I was told by the USA KR distributor to pass on the KR's, quality control has gone into the dumper. He recommended the princess carbon plate if my deal on my WE300B's went south.
 
     Share This Post       
post-7008806
Post #28 of 48

musicman59

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 27, 2004
Messages
4,498
Reaction score
576
Location
Canton, MI
Joined
May 27, 2004
Location
Canton, MI
Posts
4,498
Likes
576


Quote:
 

fwiw, I was told by the USA KR distributor to pass on the KR's, quality control has gone into the dumper. He recommended the princess carbon plate if my deal on my WE300B's went south.


Thanks for the information Sillysally. The only issue I see about the WE is being able to find a pair and the cost of it.
I would say he should prioritize the 300B in this order (Just my opinion) 1)WE300B, 2) EML 300B Mesh, 3) Sophia 300B Carbon Plates, 4) Sophia 300B Mesh, 4) Shuguang Treasure 300B.
 
I also agree with you, I would forget about the CV181Z and get a nice pair of NOS. Here is a matter of taste. IMO for the HD800 I would go 1) Tungsol Black Glass/Round Plates 6SN7GT, 2) Ken-Rad Black Glass/Stagger plates V231, 3) Tungsol Black Glass 6F8G with adapters, 4) Sylvania Brown Base/Chrome tops 6SN7WGT (this one would be my first choice for closed headphones).
 
     Share This Post       
post-7008827
Post #29 of 48

sillysally

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
1,560
Reaction score
21
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Posts
1,560
Likes
21

 
Quote:
Thanks for the information Sillysally. The only issue I see about the WE is being able to find a pair and the cost of it.
I would say he should prioritize the 300B in this order (Just my opinion) 1)WE300B, 2) EML 300B Mesh, 3) Sophia 300B Carbon Plates, 4) Sophia 300B Mesh, 4) Shuguang Treasure 300B.
 
I also agree with you, I would forget about the CV181Z and get a nice pair of NOS. Here is a matter of taste. IMO for the HD800 I would go 1) Tungsol Black Glass/Round Plates 6SN7GT, 2) Ken-Rad Black Glass/Stagger plates V231, 3) Tungsol Black Glass 6F8G with adapters, 4) Sylvania Brown Base/Chrome tops 6SN7WGT (this one would be my first choice for closed headphones).

I agree with you and also your options on tubes.
Now just add a Realiser and a trip to AIX sound studio for 2.0/5.1/7.1 reference sound system's, make your PRIR's and you not only have a great sounding amp and headphones but now your headphones and amp sound as if you are still at AIX studio listening to your music and or movies there at AIX without any headphones on.
Amazing stuff.
 
     Share This Post       
post-7008860
Post #30 of 48

actuary616

New Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
26
Reaction score
10
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Posts
26
Likes
10
Is this the Ken Pad you mentioned? Very old, are they reliable. What's the reason price for them? Can you recommend some good webset to buy NOS tubes? Thanks.
http://cgi.ebay.com/6SN7-GT-MATCHED-PAIR-KEN-RAD-VT231-BLACK-GLASS-TUBES-/190393336040?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2c5453c0e8

 
Quote:
Thanks for the information Sillysally. The only issue I see about the WE is being able to find a pair and the cost of it.
I would say he should prioritize the 300B in this order (Just my opinion) 1)WE300B, 2) EML 300B Mesh, 3) Sophia 300B Carbon Plates, 4) Sophia 300B Mesh, 4) Shuguang Treasure 300B.
 
I also agree with you, I would forget about the CV181Z and get a nice pair of NOS. Here is a matter of taste. IMO for the HD800 I would go 1) Tungsol Black Glass/Round Plates 6SN7GT, 2) Ken-Rad Black Glass/Stagger plates V231, 3) Tungsol Black Glass 6F8G with adapters, 4) Sylvania Brown Base/Chrome tops 6SN7WGT (this one would be my first choice for closed headphones).


 
     Share This Post       

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top