RSA Raptor vs LD MKIII
May 14, 2008 at 7:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

wharfrat1

100+ Head-Fier
I have recently come into an extra few bucks and I was thinking about upgrading from the LD MKIII to the RSA Raptor. I wanted to see if anyone out there, and I'm guessing there should be a few, have listened to both, and what their impressions were. I have no issues spending the $1175 for the Raptor, but I want to make sure I'm getting bang for the extra bucks.

I'm a proponent of getting what you pay for, and from everything I've read, the Raptor, as well as pretty much anything from RSA, gets very high marks. My LD MKIII sounds pretty sweet, hence wanting some opinions to see that the money is well spent. The rest of my rig is listed in my signature. I am going to be Maxxing out my HR Desktop in the near future as well. I feel pretty confident that with the Maxxed out Desktop, I will not be in the SS Amp market for a long time. I'm looking for that, I'm not going to buy anything else for a real long time feeling in the Tube Amp market as well. I'm thinking, after some research, the Raptor can deliver this, but as always, much better safe than sorry. Thanks to all in advance for your feedback.

May 14, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #2 of 12
Well the thing is once you reach a certain price point anything much more is in diminishing returns. If you get the raptor and expect it to be 2-3x better than the MKIII then you will probably be very disappointed. If your one who doesn't mind small improvements then the raptor will probably be a good buy.

May 14, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #3 of 12
Haven't heard a Raptor (but I would love too). I'm very pleased with my MKIII and Grado synergy. I think they work great together, and I love being able to fine tune the sound by rolling the tubes.

May 14, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #4 of 12
I realize my question may be an affront... but... at $1175... why would you consider the Raptor (mixed reviews), when you can buy the Extreme for $1200 (universal acclaim... and... suggestions that few amps even compare)???

Is this not the more relevant question - if you're going to spend $1200???

May 15, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #5 of 12
For the price range, i want a WooAudio 2.

May 15, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #6 of 12
No offense taken at any suggestions. In fact if there is something (like the Extreme) that you think is better, put it out there. I love researching, so I have no issues digging into it. I just want bang for the big bucks. Every upgrade I have made since I got into this little hobby in October has been worth it. There has been a noticable improvement every time. So, I would hope the more expensive amps are an improvement over my LDMKIII. Do I expect it to be like listening to high impedence cans unamped vs. amped, no but I expect an improvement.

Thanks for all of the feedback, and keep it coming! I love options.

May 15, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #7 of 12
I have owned the Little Dot MKIV SE, and currently own a Raptor. Just my opinion of course. But there isn't a comparison! The MKIV was O. K. at it's price point, I thought it was problematic with it's Low frequency presentation. I currently have NOS Tung-Sol's 5687 as drivers and am using the Telefunken 12AU7 smooth plate for signal in the Raptor, it is Luxurious sounding. The Raptor is a let down for People wanting tubes for that overly warm presentation that tubes are famous for. If that is your Forte', look elsewhere. With the Raptor you experience warmth with detail, and quickness and extension at both extremes. You can drive with authority, most dynamic headphones whatever the impedance. I prefer closed cans, Darth Beyers, The Ultrasone ed.9 and JVC HP DX1000's. It easily brings out the best in these Headphones! And you have the wonderful customer support of Mr. Ray.
You call him up, either Ray or his wife answer the phone. His products are well engineered and built to last. A three year transferable warranty if ever needed. Jack Wu's and Mikhail's products are first rate also. It is hard to go wrong. Call and email all the concerned parties to get a feel of where you want to spend your money, it works for me.
Woo Audio has the WA6 SE in a couple more months, I have the WA6 Maxxed and his designs are stellar!!

May 15, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #8 of 12
Once you hit the $1,000 mark for tube amps, Singlepower definitely becomes one of, if not the primary, frontrunners for outright quality. Of course, this is just my personal view. I demo'd a Raptor last month, and it was merely decent. The SP Extreme that I listened to the very same day was outstanding; every bit as good as the Zana Deux imo and quite a bit superior to RSA's offering.

May 15, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Raptor is stunning, hands down. You can't go wrong with owning one.

I agree!! With the right tube compliment it sounds like neither tube or solid-state, it sounds like the signal it's being fed. The "mixed reviews" are from folks with "tubey" expectations, and that would be a let down. It is the quietest and most neutral tube amp I have heard.

May 15, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Once you hit the $1,000 mark for tube amps, Singlepower definitely becomes one of, if not the primary, frontrunners for outright quality. Of course, this is just my personal view. I demo'd a Raptor last month, and it was merely decent. The SP Extreme that I listened to the very same day was outstanding; every bit as good as the Zana Deux imo and quite a bit superior to RSA's offering.

I have to agree with your statement and expand on the comparison.

I have extensively auditioned or owned almost every tube headamp manufactured at and well above the $1000 price point .... and the Extreme just offers so much more sound quality, power and flexibilty for the money.

The amp is a looker too ....

HPIM0144.jpg

May 15, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #12 of 12
I have done some reading on the Extreme, and everything I've read in terms of sq and build has been stellar. What makes me a little nervous are some of the negative comments made about customer service. If I'm going to throw 1200-2000 into a product, I expect very good customer service, not ok sometimes customer service. I know Ray has a great reputation in regards to his customer service. Something else for me to think about. I am also going to do some research on the Zana Deaux and the WA 6. Ah, this little hobby, can't any decision be easy!? Thanks again for all of the feedback, and please keep it coming. The more info I have the better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back