RSA Raptor and K-1000
Dec 11, 2009 at 8:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mingde10467

100+ Head-Fier
Does anyone out there regularly use the K-1000 with the Raptor?

In reviewing the Raptor, 6Moons mentioned that Ray Samuels sent his XLR to 1/4" adaptor so the reviewer could try the K-1000s out. The combination worked but wasn't ideal. Nevertheless, it would be nice to use all my phones with one amp.

Thanks!

Dec 11, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #2 of 9
Being as the raptor is an OTL amp, I can't imagine that it would put out enough current into 100 ohms to run the K1K like it should be. It would work, but a higher current, higher power amp would drive your K1K better.

Dec 12, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #4 of 9
The Raptor on its own cannot properly drive the K1000's.

You could get a speaker power amp, and run a cable from the Raptor's headphone jack to the speaker amp's RCA inputs. Connect the K1000's to the speaker amp's speaker taps. Use the Raptor's volume control to attenuate your source(s).

Dec 12, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #5 of 9
I tried driving the K1000 with the Raptor several years ago. I had a 1/4" plug adapter made so that I could plug K1000 into the Raptor. The Raptor did not have trouble reaching satisfying volume levels (if my memory is correct about 1:00 it was quite loud) however, the sound was cold and lean. I tried several NOS tubes to warm it up a bit but overall I don't think the Raptor is up to the task. I also tried my speaker amp at that time, a Mark Levinson No 383 integrated amp 100W/Ch @8 ohms & 200W/Ch @ 4 ohms, and results were very good. With the ML amp, the sound was much warmer and the bass was deeper and tighter and the brightness was gone. I no longer have the K1000 or the Raptor. If you want a good amp for the K1000, I think you need to get a high quality speaker amp.

Dec 12, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #6 of 9
Thanks for all the helpful comments.

I've had two speaker amps for the K-1000s - - a Creek 4330 integrated (40 watts/channel) and a Sugden 25-watt/per channel class A integrated. Both were purchased around 2002/3 before I became acquainted with Head-fi.

The Sugden broke once and I had it repaired. It broke again rather quickly. Probably a minor problem but it weighs a ton and I haven't had the energy to send it back to the importer yet once again.

The Creek works nicely with the K-1000s and back then it was only $600 (the model is now discontinued).

My cd player (an Arcam FMJ CD-23) has two outputs so I can connect both the Raptor and the Creek at the same time. I did that a few days ago. There were just too many wires and stuff in the limited space of my dresser top so I put away everything except the cdp and the Raptor.

Maybe I'll try it again. . .

Dec 12, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #7 of 9
You might want to try the K-1000 with a tubed power amp. I'll run mine from a Conrad-Johnson MV-52 (push-pull, EL34) and a Moth Si2A3 (single-ended, 2A3), and much prefer them to solid state.

I don't know how much you're looking to spend, but the Eddit Current ZDT might fit your needs. It drives headphones, but it will also put 8W into an 8 Ohm load - about perfect for the K-1000.

Dec 12, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #8 of 9
I am currently using the line stage of a Monarchy Audio NM24 to drive a Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2 power amp (no volume control). If you go to Audiogon you can find used specimens of each and spend under $2,000 including S&H for both. I am very happy with the combo although I am hoping to get an Isabella w/ the DAC and HPA options when my wallet recovers.

Note, you can use the DAC outs (2) of the NM24 to drive additional amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back