RSA **Predator** A review in stages ** With some "NEW" images on 1st and page 64 . . .
Mar 17, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #377 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes

Phwee, thanx. what a relief to hear that. i was thinking of buying 2 predator. one for DAC + one for amplifer for laptop rig
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #378 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by iboey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Phwee, thanx. what a relief to hear that. i was thinking of buying 2 predator. one for DAC + one for amplifer for laptop rig
biggrin.gif

The Predator doesn't have a line out though, so is it really recommended for use as a pure DAC?

Mar 17, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #379 of 723
I have had some positive results with the Predator as a makeshift DAC. I set to the lowest gain and the volume at about half, then use a mini to RCA to my Cambridge integraged. It sounds pretty damn good.

Mar 17, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #380 of 723
There is no reason it shouldn't sound good. There is a lot more in the signal path and more pcb in a large dac. You just have a variable output dac.

Mar 17, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #381 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Predator doesn't have a line out though, so is it really recommended for use as a pure DAC?

Wait, what?
confused.gif
You just plug the USB cable between the computer and Predator, then listen through headphones that are plugged in from the Predator's headphone out jack.

Mar 17, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #382 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait, what?
confused.gif
You just plug the USB cable between the computer and Predator, then listen through headphones that are plugged in from the Predator's headphone out jack.

The "as a dac" question suggests using it with another amp. Works quite well with the other small dac/amp at this price point, but I hadn't seen anyone recommend it for this one.

Mar 17, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #383 of 723
Sure, I've used the Predator as a preamp, taking USB out of my laptop and feeding it directly into my Emotiva RPA-1 power amp for my speaker rig. It sounded surprisingly good.

Mar 21, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #384 of 723
I still find it a pleasure to discover old music in new ways with the Predator. The Predator's organic nature defies the silicon nature of its internals.

Apr 15, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #386 of 723
The higher the gain, the louder the amp. So the lower you'll have to set the volume knob. The lower you set the volume knob, the more resistance you're going through, which can impact the sound. Plus, the lower the volume knob, the more likely you are to get channel imbalances.

Apr 15, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #387 of 723
Yes, the less volume control the better. One thing about Rays volume pots though is that he checks each and every one for balance so in this case I doubt that there will be a problem but I agree often there can be.

Apr 15, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #388 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the less volume control the better. One thing about Rays volume pots though is that he checks each and every one for balance so in this case I doubt that there will be a problem but I agree often there can be.

I think you mean the more you can open it up the better as typically they are better at 12'oclock then at 8'oclock. I'd be curious to see how he checks them by ear or by a meter? Ray listens loud as hell I've put on a few headphones after him and he listens louder than a Who concert circa 1975.

Apr 15, 2008 at 4:41 AM Post #389 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still find it a pleasure to discover old music in new ways with the Predator. The Predator's organic nature defies the silicon nature of its internals.

Kinda like a bable fish lives inside the Predator, and translates the music into alien, then it sings it out through the headphone jack as sweet music?

Apr 15, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #390 of 723
I guess the bable fish didn't show up when I heard it, it's ok and performs its stated purpose taking music off a computer and amping it but clouds did not part, water did not turn into wine and cats did not spontaneously start playing with dogs. Let's face it folks a small portable amp can only do so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back