RSA **Predator** A review in stages ** With some "NEW" images on 1st and page 64 . . .
Nov 20, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #706 of 723
one strange notice and it deserves a separate post : at the beginning of my travel today ... when i started to listen to my music ... the first half hour or so the sound was bright !! ... then it transforms to the sound that described above !! 
is that normal or do that giant cap require warming up or so like tubes ??? 
or this is because i didn't finish yet the burning in of +600 hours period ?

Nov 20, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #707 of 723
  one strange notice and it deserves a separate post : at the beginning of my travel today ... when i started to listen to my music ... the first half hour or so the sound was bright !! ... then it transforms to the sound that described above !! 
is that normal or do that giant cap require warming up or so like tubes ??? 
or this is because i didn't finish yet the burning in of +600 hours period ?

Correct Predator needs hundreds of hours of breaking in!

Nov 29, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #708 of 723
On a recent meet up I listened to and subsequently purchased this little classic. 

I really love it's sound signature.

The seller didn't have the charger with him, so I read about the warning to only use the supplied charger. In case I can't get the charger - what are the specs, so I can hunt one down....

Cheers,
K

Nov 29, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #709 of 723
  On a recent meet up I listened to and subsequently purchased this little classic. 

I really love it's sound signature.

The seller didn't have the charger with him, so I read about the warning to only use the supplied charger. In case I can't get the charger - what are the specs, so I can hunt one down....

Cheers,
K

IN : 110 - 240 v
OUT : 4.2 v DC   0.8A 

BUT please if you are interested in the Predator.. contact Ray first ... as it is highly recommended to use the supplied charger only 

Nov 29, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #710 of 723
  IN : 110 - 240 v
OUT : 4.2 v DC   0.8A 

BUT please if you are interested in the Predator.. contact Ray first ... as it is highly recommended to use the supplied charger only 

Hi!

Thanks a lot for this info!

Gladly I just got the original charger from the seller. 
beerchug.gif

Many thanks for your response.

Cheers,
K

Nov 29, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #711 of 723

Hi!

Thanks a lot for this info!

Gladly I just got the original charger from the seller. 
beerchug.gif

Many thanks for your response.

Cheers,
K

congratulations ^_^ .... looking for your impressions too .... i am waiting for my full review till the end of burning in process .... but right now it sounds really nice combined with my Walkman A-10 and even nicer through its own DAC from my laptop 

Nov 30, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #712 of 723
  congratulations ^_^ .... looking for your impressions too .... i am waiting for my full review till the end of burning in process .... but right now it sounds really nice combined with my Walkman A-10 and even nicer through its own DAC from my laptop 

I am pretty impressed with this little love bug (mine is red). I am just listening to the HE-560 on it. And it drives it quite nicely - which I didn't expect. I used the RHA T20 in the office and I really loved what I heard. But now on high gain with the Hifiman's - I thought the Predator would run out of steam but at my listening levels, not so.  
eek.gif

More to come but so far: this will be for sure my new travel companion. Checking with the Oppo PM-3 next - should be an ideal combination as well.

Cheers,
K

Nov 30, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #713 of 723

I am pretty impressed with this little love bug (mine is red). I am just listening to the HE-560 on it. And it drives it quite nicely - which I didn't expect. I used the RHA T20 in the office and I really loved what I heard. But now on high gain with the Hifiman's - I thought the Predator would run out of steam but at my listening levels, not so.  
eek.gif

More to come but so far: this will be for sure my new travel companion. Checking with the Oppo PM-3 next - should be an ideal combination as well.

Cheers,
K

CHEEERS 
beerchug.gif

Dec 1, 2015 at 6:18 AM Post #714 of 723
  CHEEERS 
beerchug.gif

Medium Gain settings - Predator and Oppo PM-3 are a match made in heaven. A perfect symbiosis. Soundstage is great, overall sound quality amazing. Brings out the low end so well on these headphones - lovely pairing.

What a great purchase  - tonight - testing the PM-2 - 
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #715 of 723

Medium Gain settings - Predator and Oppo PM-3 are a match made in heaven. A perfect symbiosis. Soundstage is great, overall sound quality amazing. Brings out the low end so well on these headphones - lovely pairing.

What a great purchase  - tonight - testing the PM-2 - 
biggrin.gif

still burning it in ... no much difference right now .. not like the crazy period between 200 and 450 hours 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 27, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #716 of 723
Over a year now owning this awesome device .. must say it even if this an older thread and so ... this dac-amp is nothing short of marvelous !
the sound .. the battery .. the build

OMG till now i am more than happy and getting excited every time i switch it on ...  with every iem or headphone i through in it it gives the best of them out ... this thing has a character and it is dominant  ... i love that sound till the degree till now i am hesitating to upgrade my source or get a new player as its sound made most of my upgrade decisions a nonsense and impulsive decisions..

this signature that what i was looking for times a go and i know that the Predator is a keeper for life and if .. just if i wanted to upgrade i know it will be RSA amp too .. that won't be an upgrade to get a better sound but to get another premium quality thing from Ray samuels audio .

i know my post sounds fan-ish and it meant to be ... and yes i am a fan now and it meant to be ... 

can't Thank @Ray Samuels enough for this awesome joy box 
L3000.gif

and i thank the people here for the burning in tip 

I am really happy 
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
beerchug.gif

this is how i use it all the time BTW 

Dec 11, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #717 of 723
So I'm thinking about treating myself to one of these for the holidays. I've always wanted one.

But....

I don't mind spending the money, but I really don't wanna drop $475 if Predator has since been outclassed by some $100 Fiio or something. Meanwhile, while devices like the Chord Mojo are all the rage, I've always been skeptical that they're *actually* that much better than an RSA Intruder say, or Predator for lower impedance gear.

I know replies to this will be "your own ears have to decide," I understand that, but I don't really have a way to compare or even hear a Predator in advance.

Anyway, thoughts on the relevancy of this dac/amp in 2017 are much appreciated. I'll return the favor with impressions if I get one!

I owned a Schiit Fulla for a while and was pretty unimpressed, I also own an ODAC/O2 amp, which I love.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #718 of 723
Sorry for reviving an ancient thread but I wanted to "rejuvenate" my predator by changing the lithium battery for a new one as I am sure it's lost much of its original capacity being around 10 years old now.

Does anyone know what the 15000 uF capacitor is used for? Is it for power reserve (large instantaneous current draw or for filtering?)

Would it make sense to switch it to a supercap since those are in the Farads?

What do you think?

Oct 30, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #719 of 723
I think the predator came out in 2007 or 2008, I'm wondering in 2020, how relevant is this amp/dac still? Is it outdated in terms of technology? Are there better ones out there?

Jan 1, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #720 of 723
At least in my house the Predator is never far away from my laptop. I use the USB connector to connect it to my laptop. I have hi-res music files on my lapop and would not think of listening to them without my predator handy with my AKG K701 headphones. For me it is most relevant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back