RSA **Predator** A review in stages ** With some "NEW" images on 1st and page 64 . . .
Jun 27, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #481 of 723
i have just paid ray for my unit and can't wait till it is shipped to malaysia .....

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark_h /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are in stock and are shipped out really fast! I got mine in five days to the UK.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitchmalibu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same here, ordered it Sunday, received it friday (France).

Jun 27, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #482 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by OutdoorXplorer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have just paid ray for my unit and can't wait till it is shipped to malaysia .....

Ray is very fast to ship. In the States, I got mine a day early (2 instead of 3). Shipped the same day I sent payment.

The sound is definitely sweet.. How it matures to my ears.. Only time will tell but I'm happy with it so far (about 40hr burn-in). That's not saying much though since this is my first dedicated head amp.

Jun 27, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #483 of 723
I am embarresed to ask this question but I have no experience with the dac on amps. If I want to burn in the amp...the usb cable hooked to the predator an computer..powers it as well as plays right? I didn't know if I need to use the charger while using the dac. I know that the usb cord charges the ipod when hooked up..but wasn't sure with the predator.

A dumb question answered is better than permanent ignorance..right???? lol..

Thanks...

Jun 27, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #484 of 723
No, the usb just give energie for the dac, but don't give juice for the amp.
So yes, you have to use it with the charger during the burning process..

Jun 27, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #486 of 723
it was a pleasure Del Griffith.
You can use the predator with this own batterie and replug it on the charger when there is no juice ( 3 hours )
It'll work for 50 hours on the batterie.

Jun 28, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #487 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? You don't think the HF-1 sounds better with flats? I think the flats do a nice job reining in the upper end splash of the HF-1.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will only listen to my hf1s with flats at this point.

I found the HF-1 with flats and APS V3 cable were so close to my HP-1000 with signature cable that I traded the HP-1000 off to try other stuff.

I actually did the following review of them using the Predator: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/rev...easure-292405/

So, the Predator is a good match, with flats, however the HF-1 were a little distant with the bowls.

Jun 28, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #488 of 723
The predator is a fine product. I was impressed at a meet.

chewie0ol.gif

Jun 28, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #489 of 723
I've burned in the Predator for approximately 700 hours now and I can confidently say that the UE11s coupled with the Predator is a match made in heaven! lol

The Predator markedly opens up at around 500 hours!

Jun 28, 2008 at 8:21 AM Post #490 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by user1029 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've burned in the Predator for approximately 700 hours now and I can confidently say that the UE11s coupled with the Predator is a match made in heaven! lol

The Predator markedly opens up at around 500 hours!

That sounds about like what Jamato8 and I have posted before. That is why we say at 600 hours it will sound nothing like it did at 300 hours.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 28, 2008 at 9:03 AM Post #491 of 723
I'm at 360 hours...
and don't sound as well than my old Hornet.
So i'll continue the burning process.

Jun 28, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #492 of 723
I have had my Predator for about 3 days now and there is already one or two things starting to bug me about it.

The SQ when the Predator is running via the supplied mains adaptor is clearly better to my ears than when its running on its own juice either when using both the DAC or the AMP sections.

I e-mailed Mr Samuels about this and he said there shouldn't be any difference between the two power sources in terms of SQ but I can clearly hear a difference.

I know its very early days yet and the Predator needs untold hours of burning in but this is really starting to bug me, another thing is why wasn't the Predator made with a power indicator of some sort so you know when its being charged.

Jun 28, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #493 of 723
another thing is why wasn't the Predator made with a power indicator of some sort so you know when its being charged.

It's the same way with Hornet.
But it's not very important, because after 3 hours, you are sure it's charged.
And the led give you indication when it's discharged.
Less compoment is better for the sound and batterie life.

Jun 28, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #495 of 723
Quote:

And the led give you indication when it's discharged.

It does? I'm not completely sure since I think I just went through my first full discharge but the unit just shut itself off.

Documenting it's behavior on Ray's site would be great. Discovering it's sonic capabilities on my own I can bear but charging/discharging behavior I'd like to know up front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back