RSA **Predator** A review in stages ** With some "NEW" images on 1st and page 64 . . .
Jan 29, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #286 of 723
Just put the music on repeat and leave it plugged into the wall-wart when not listening for those 3 hours. No big deal besides it sounds good for a long time before where I am now with it so no big deal. Its all in the adventure.

Jan 29, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #287 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am using a 1 foot USB that I have found to work well. I also built my own USB of pure silver and it was sounding good but I broke the mini-B connector so I have to redo it.

John, I missed this thread and have enjoyed your journey with the Predator.

I am glad that you are also going silver for the USB cable. I am no DIYer so I ordered one from Brad at Revelation Audio Labs, as I figured the USB cable may be the weakest link in my Mac>Pico audio path. Yes, it sound insane to have a cable costing half the price of the amp
smily_headphones1.gif

F. Lo

Jan 29, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #288 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am glad that you are also going silver for the USB cable. I am no DIYer so I ordered one from Brad at Revelation Audio Labs, as I figured the USB cable may be the weakness link in my Mac>Pico audio path. Yes, it sound insane to have a cable costing half the price of the amp
smily_headphones1.gif

who said smart/good decisions always have to be rational.

Jan 29, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #289 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
who said smart/good decisions always have to be rational.

Well, good decisions for the hobby can be irrational for the wallet. The reverse can be true too. It is all about the war between the left and right brains. The more I am on this forum, the more I feel that my right brain has outgrown my left one
biggrin.gif

F. Lo

Jan 29, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #290 of 723
When I can I prefer to make my own stuff. IC's are one of them but I used to make IC's to sell and they got extremely good reviews so I was on the right track. Now for my own stuff it is just fun and much less expensive than paying an equivalent of 200 plus on IC's and related equipment. The same for my home preamp and dac needs. Well it makes it more interesting when you blow something up or fry some flesh from 720 volts. :^)

Jan 29, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #291 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Burn-in times of this amp have me scared silly. I listen maybe three hours' daily. at that rate, it might be a year before this amp really matures. Do I want to wait that long???? Or do I buy a Hornet used/already broken in???

Just run it at night, while you're sleeping. (in a different room)

Just enjoy the music for those three hours per day.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #293 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
John, I missed this thread and have enjoyed your journey with the Predator.

I am glad that you are also going silver for the USB cable. I am no DIYer so I ordered one from Brad at Revelation Audio Labs, as I figured the USB cable may be the weakest link in my Mac>Pico audio path. Yes, it sound insane to have a cable costing half the price of the amp
smily_headphones1.gif

F. Lo

And I thought my buying the Kimber was insane!
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 30, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #294 of 723
Quote:

You are using the dac in the Predator when coming off of the computer and the dac in the iPod when using the line out. There will be a big difference there. If you think its good now, wait. . .

The Predator ages like fine wine, it gets better and better. . amazing.

I suppose it explains the lifetime warranty.
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #295 of 723
I just hooked up a USB 2 cable that is 28 gauge for the signal (standard) and 24 gauge for the DC but it also has ferrite filters at both ends. The sound, I would think the DC is cleaned up some for the dac section, is a little more detailed with a tad more decay from what I can tell so far. I will see how this plays out but I need to get my silver USB going again.

Jan 31, 2008 at 9:46 AM Post #296 of 723
OMG... silver usb cables? Does it really make a difference?
confused.gif

About Predator, I was privileged to briefly listen to one at Jaben. IMO, it is about the best portable amp I heard so far, and I felt its SQ is another level above Hornet. Did not try as DAC though, but that's not important.

I got to understand better some of what TS had mentioned in his running reviews of the amp. It sure is a fantastic sounding piece of art.I saw one with an interesting colour scheme of blue front and back plates with a gold body. Build, size and finish is great as ever.
wink.gif

Well, seems like I better start scrimping and saving for one... and I sure hope to be able to try a Pico too. Darn this %#@$* money-sapping hobby.
frown.gif
eek.gif

Jan 31, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #297 of 723
I have about 150 hours on my Predator now. I spent last night with the Black Crowes in preparation for the new album. I am impressed with the Predator at just this state of the game. If the sound never evolved anymore, I would be more than satisfied. The sound is liquid through the DAC. My MusicHall 25.2 was not this smooth and detailed. Here is my thought at this point with the Predator regarding the previously mentioned long burn in time. At 150 hours I know that is the one of the better pieces of equipment I have owned. Just because it may not be fully matured does not mean there is not a good grasp on the overall nature of the Predator. The change so far has been nice and if it continues, GREAT! If not, Im very pleased. I think a fairly decent opinion may be formed about the Predator before 1000 hours, way before.

Edit: All 150 hours have been with the DAC and on low gain.

2 cents.

Jan 31, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #298 of 723
Has anyone here ever experienced hissing out of your predator? it does happen when i plug in my iem at high gain&max volume in DAC mode. And the hissing is even stronger if i turn it to amp mode. This should not happen according to what Ray had stated on his website. OR it means my predator is defective?

Jan 31, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #299 of 723
Is your Predator hooked to the source? Frankly some hiss with IEM's at max volume and at high gain doesn't mean anything and has nothing to do with sound at that point.

Jan 31, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #300 of 723
Quote:

Is your Predator hooked to the source? Frankly some hiss with IEM's at max volume and at high gain doesn't mean anything and has nothing to do with sound at that point.

ya, i paired it with my iMac. I do know tat this hiss wouldnt affect listening at all and i love the sound out of it. juz a lil worried abt it as it's supposed to be totally quite isnt it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back