RSA Apache Impressions (with nice pic)
May 6, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #377 of 405
I emailed Ray and he said send the amp in and he'll do the upgrades, but he didn't specify what change in sound I can expect. I emailed him again but have yet to hear back from him. Does the revision C increase the quantity of the bass or just the quality? Does it do anything to roll of the treble slightly? Those would be the things I'd most want changed as well as more lush mids.

May 6, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #378 of 405
It really is hard to describe. The change basically makes it a total different amp. It moves much closer to the B-52. Since mine was the basis for the revision C, Ray did tweak it a little more for my Grado HP-2s making the bass fuller, not a quantity but quality change along with the soundstage presentation.

To be honest, I would never go back. You can still swap out the AD797 for the LT1028 to get some slight change. I have stuck with the AD797 for the overall presentation but the LT1028 has an especially seductive midrange.

May 7, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #379 of 405
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Addict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It really is hard to describe. The change basically makes it a total different amp. It moves much closer to the B-52. Since mine was the basis for the revision C, Ray did tweak it a little more for my Grado HP-2s making the bass fuller, not a quantity but quality change along with the soundstage presentation.

To be honest, I would never go back. You can still swap out the AD797 for the LT1028 to get some slight change. I have stuck with the AD797 for the overall presentation but the LT1028 has an especially seductive midrange.

Which one does the Rev C have? What other kind of tweaks to help the bass? Maybe he can do that to help with my L3000s. I'm not looking for a ton of bass, it's just that compared to the Slee Solo I have the Apache bass sounds weak.

May 7, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #380 of 405
As I read the last two messages, I am listening to Dvorak's New World Symphony through my Apache, which has the latest revisions. I would describe the bass as palpable, though it is quite controlled and does not overwhelm instruments in mid and higher ranges.

Sep 19, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #383 of 405
The Stock single ended HD800 has a very deep bottom end on the Apache. I have a Revision C. The highs are what you would expect on a solid state amp. but the apache still has a warm over all presentation. On a personal note, I don't get tired listening to it. I can listen around 2-4 hours straight without getting fatigued. I find that the stock HD800 has less of mid bass but a plentyful amount of lower bass even with other amps I've personally tried.

I'm now trying out a APS V3 balanced HD800 cable I borrowed from a fellow headfier here in SG this afternoon. It did change the presentation of the HD800 a bit. I don't get the very deep bass but more of the Mid bass and I find vocals are more forward than stock. Still have to listen some more. I might have my own balance black dragon HD800 cable by next week too. =)

Sep 19, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #384 of 405
As I recall from having listened to various of Ray's SS amps they have a warm but very detailed presentation. His tube amps are not as warm as the tube amps from other vendors and have a more analytical presentation. I once read a reviewer indicate that Ray's tube amps have more of an SS sound, I totally agree.

Regardless his amps are top notch both in quality and sound. Enjoy your amp.

Sep 20, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #385 of 405
Quote:

Originally Posted by danne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone using the apache with HD 800 and can say a few words about it?

Excellent combo. Apache drives the HD800 bass capability with authority. Very nice soundstage. Exceptional detail, quick transients, with full decay. I am listening on Blue Dragon balanced cable. The only thing I prefer is my JH13s.

Sep 21, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #388 of 405
Cullen Stage IV mod of the PS Audio Digital Link-III + The Apache + HD 800
Really looks likea killer combo on paper.
Musical and warm but yet full of detail.
If only there was a easier way to try out stuff like this before you go onto buying.

Sep 22, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #389 of 405
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pale Rider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent combo. Apache drives the HD800 bass capability with authority. Very nice soundstage. Exceptional detail, quick transients, with full decay. I am listening on Blue Dragon balanced cable. The only thing I prefer is my JH13s.

I am in complete agreement with Pale Rider's comments on soundstage and detail, quick transients, and full decay. Also, going balanced helped, in particular softening the occasional sibilance without to my ear hurting the tonal balance or reducing the resolution. If there were any change I would make, it would be to dial up the bass slightly. I don't know whether using a Blue Dragon cable rather than the Silver Dragon cable I have would do this to any appreciable extent. At some point I hope to be able to compare cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back