RSA Apache Impressions (with nice pic)
Mar 12, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #361 of 405
Ray has my Apache now.

Mar 12, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #362 of 405
I've always lusted after the Apache since it's initial release, and this new update sounds very compelling =)

I'm still very satisfied with my HR-2, but the Apache is at the top of my list as far as future upgrades go.

Mar 21, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #364 of 405
Quote:

Originally Posted by pompon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the latest mod for the Apache ? OpAmp ?
I am curious to know, I don't own a Apache anymore.

The latest mod primarily uses the AD797 chip but the LT1028 is also a good fit. Both have very a warm and seductive midrange. The AD797 is suppose to be the overall preferred chip as it has a better extension but the midrange of the LT1028 is slightly better than the AD797. Which chip will be an individual's preference. I have both and listen to the LT1028 for a couple of weeks but I now have the AD797 installed. It truly is a toss up. You don't lose that much in the midrange but you do get a better overall sound I think. Mine is slightly different from the latest revision C since Ray tweaked the capacitors in the power supply for my HP-2s.

I would be interested in others comment as I know Ray has done at least 4 or 5 other ones. The other item is obviously the source being used. At the recent Champaign Head-Fi meet, I used my Apache with the Oppo 983H in a single ended connection but it doesn't compare with my Meridian balanced connection.

Mar 27, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #365 of 405
Got my Apache back from Ray a couple of days ago. I have now had the chance to spend a few hours with it, and it is splendid. Not having an older unit to compare the upgrade to, and the fact that it was very good before the upgrade, make comparison difficult, but I agree with Audio Addict that it is even more natural sounding and provides even more detail.

Great job, Ray!

Mar 27, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #366 of 405
Quote:

Originally Posted by ctemkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my Apache back from Ray a couple of days ago. I have now had the chance to spend a few hours with it, and it is splendid. Not having an older unit to compare the upgrade to, and the fact that it was very good before the upgrade, make comparison difficult, but I agree with Audio Addict that it is even more natural sounding and provides even more detail.

Great job, Ray!

Glad you like the Revision C upgrade.
biggrin.gif

Mar 29, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #368 of 405
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
have to hear this thing some time. sounds nice.

Oh, it is so that. When I take the time to relax and listen, it's like the aural version of a 30-year-old scotch or a 94 Cab. Like mist on the dawn ocean, weightless, expansive, enveloping.

Yep, all that completely unobjective, eargasmic stuff.

Mar 30, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #370 of 405
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
have to hear this thing some time. sounds nice.

Maybe if it now sounds better than our B52s he'll change them for an Apache.
floatsmile.png

Mar 30, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #371 of 405
I have been using the Apache single-ended, and yes, the upgrade did improve that output.

Apr 1, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #373 of 405
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it warmer sounding as well ? What about the bass ?

Most definitely but in a very natural way. As to the bass, it is much better with improved decay, especially on my HP-2s.

May 1, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #375 of 405
I just got an used Apache and I like it, but am not completely satisfied with the sound. I'd appreciate any additional info anyone can provide on the various revisions Ray has offered and how they change to sound of the amp. I believe the amp I purchased had the first upgrade but that was it. Ideally I would like the amp to have more warmth/lushness to the midrange and better bass impact.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back