Quote:
 My side of the argument

This is a argument?
floatsmile.png

Aug 18, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #17 of 46
Quote:
This is a argument?
floatsmile.png

There's a difference in opinion towards what aspects of SQ pleases our ears (shrug).

I guess it's more of a preference rather than an argument.

Aug 18, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #18 of 46
Quote:
I don't see why not. The HE400s sound fantastic even out of the little FiiO E17 DAC/Amp.

OP does not have an E17 though. I was just trying to point out that OP's amp was unable to properly power the HFM then Grado would make an easy choice to save on budget. Why buy something then not be able to use it to its potential. 

Aug 18, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #19 of 46
Quote:
OP does not have an E17 though. I was just trying to point out that OP's amp was unable to properly power the HFM then Grado would make an easy choice to save on budget. Why buy something then not be able to use it to its potential. 

PA2V2 should be a more powerful amplifier than the amp built in E17 though? I thought I read that somewhere at some point.

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #21 of 46
Man I love my HE-500, but the Grado RS2 are just something special with rock. I would suggest*like always* to try and test them out.

Oct 2, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #22 of 46
Quote:

well I currently have have a pair of he-400s, and I have tried them with a e17 (my old portable rig) and my desktop rig, a woo audio wa2. 

How do you like the he-400 + Woo Audio WA2 ? Thinking about buying this for my hifimans next year 
Did you choose it over the WA6-SE? I've heard that OTL doesn't quite synergize with planars

Oct 2, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #23 of 46
Well now I can compare them fully. It's really apples to oranges for me. Neither of them are sibilant but both have some honky-ness in the high end. It's really just if you want a darker of brighter presentation.

Oct 2, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #25 of 46
I've never heard the HE-400 so I can't comment, but my RS2i is quite treble heavy on my PA2V2, so I only use it at home with a big amp+EQ.
If you go the Grado way, you might need an amp with a bass boost abilities (high end FiiO's have this I believe - for example)

Oct 3, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #26 of 46
Quote:
I would say the HE-400, but I have only heard the 325 Grados not the RS2.
Also, the HE-500 does not completely reflect signature of the HE-400.

Sorry, forgot to add I'm borrowing the HE-400 from a fellow head-fier. the RS-2 are a bit more refined than the 325i but not by a huge amount. IMO the he-400 have like 70% of sound in common with the RS2, but have a better more full mid range and MUCH more bass, the RS2 have 70% or so in common with the HE-400 but IMO have a more refined high end and upper mids with less bass. I still haven't heard a headphone that sounds better than the rs-2 for Slayers older music; But the HE-400 encompass a much broader spectrum of use.

Oct 3, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #27 of 46
Perhaps make the decision based on what other headphones you currently own.
If you already have a comparable jack-of-all-trades like the HE-400 and can afford to have a specialty specific headphone like the RS2, then I say go for it.
If the opposite is true, then HE-400 all the way.

Oct 3, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #28 of 46
I stumbled upon this thread, and how fortunate as I myself am in the process of deciding between these two exact headphones. I'm torn...

I listen to roughly 40% Rock / Alterative Rock, 40% Trance / House, and 20% Metal / Metalcore. So as you can surmise, I naturally love the Grado sound. I've heard all Grados up to the RS1, except the RS2. The RS1 I liked a lot, but couldn't justify the price. So lately I've been thinking of trying the RS2, and if I like it I'll look into a used pair.

Obviously Grados sound great with Rock and Rock related genres. But considering the other half of my music selection, EDM; from what I've read the HE-400 will handily out-perform the Grados at this task. So I ordered a pair of HE-400 a couple weeks ago, which will actually arrive tomorrow. I'll be able to compare them to my pair of SR60i.

All that said, I really do enjoy Grados with Trance. But I'm curious if that's simply because I've not heard a pair of open headphones with deep bass response yet (we'll find out tomorrow!). I've heard some closed-back phones (M50, DT770, K550), but was too turned off by the closed-back sound to enjoy the bass response; Trance needs an open headphone, as it needs to sound airy and ethereal...

Oct 3, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #29 of 46
Quote:
I stumbled upon this thread, and how fortunate as I myself am in the process of deciding between these two exact headphones. I'm torn...

I listen to roughly 40% Rock / Alterative Rock, 40% Trance / House, and 20% Metal / Metalcore. So as you can surmise, I naturally love the Grado sound. I've heard all Grados up to the RS1, except the RS2. The RS1 I liked a lot, but couldn't justify the price. So lately I've been thinking of trying the RS2, and if I like it I'll look into a used pair.

Obviously Grados sound great with Rock and Rock related genres. But considering the other half of my music selection, EDM; from what I've read the HE-400 will handily out-perform the Grados at this task. So I ordered a pair of HE-400 a couple weeks ago, which will actually arrive tomorrow. I'll be able to compare them to my pair of SR60i.

All that said, I really do enjoy Grados with Trance. But I'm curious if that's simply because I've not heard a pair of open headphones with deep bass response yet (we'll find out tomorrow!). I've heard some closed-back phones (M50, DT770, K550), but was too turned off by the closed-back sound to enjoy the bass response; Trance needs an open headphone, as it needs to sound airy and ethereal...

Looking forward to your first impressions. Just keep in mind that HE400s have a laid-back quality, so it'll sound rather different from what you are typically accustomed to.

Oct 3, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #30 of 46

Starting to think that there isn't enough treble with the HE-400s for my taste (getting the velour pads soon so hope that improves it). Since the HE-400s are more darker headphones, wouldn't it make sense to pair a warm amp like the WA6 with a more neutral DAC, to balance it out a bit so it doesn't become too much of a warm combo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back