Rs2i VS HE-400 for Rock
Aug 17, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #5 of 46
Aug 17, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #9 of 46
Quote:
So you would say HifiMan's

Indeed, lots of people here on Head-fi consider them to be one of the top, if not the top, sub-$500 headphones available at the moment, in terms of overall sound quality and versatility. 

Aug 17, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #10 of 46
Do any of you have HE400s or heard of it in person? Just curious.

Haven't heard the HE-400, but I have heard other Hifiman orthos (HE-6 and HE-500) and I did like them a lot. Very smooth sound.
Only I'd still much prefer Grados for rock. Especially hard rock/grunge/metal where I like headphones with a little more attack.

Have you heard the RS2i?

Aug 17, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #11 of 46
Quote:
Haven't heard the HE-400, but I have heard other Hifiman orthos (HE-6 and HE-500) and I did like them a lot. Very smooth sound.
Only I'd still much prefer Grados for rock. Especially hard rock/grunge/metal where I like headphones with a little more attack.
Have you heard the RS2i?

No but I've auditioned the SR325is from a friend, and purely from measurements the RS2is are voiced very close to those with a slightly more treble tilt. It's certainly a much closer reference than how the HE400s are voiced relative to HE500s or HE6s (which are wildly different especially in how they are voiced in the mids and treble, the only similarity is the utterly flat and evenly extended bass common in HFM planars). 

To my ears the SR325is had a very crisp sound, however a few seconds into listening to them it's pretty obvious that they are due to that distinct Grados colouration with the midbass hump, flat midrange, elevated upper midrange, and a few intentional treble peaks, that masks over the music. Honestly it reminded me a lot of my modded pair of KSC75s (quarter mod and headband mod). Personally I prefer a headphone that produces accuracy with a slight tilt towards "fun" derived from changes in tonal levels across the FR rather than big colourations. Not to say that it didn't do rock music justice, because it did, but justifying how it sounded when my cheap modded KSC75s sounded very close was tough.

Another part of the reason is of course if I drop $400, I want headphones that don't only bring enjoyment in a single genre of music, but also in all other genres as well as movies and gaming.

In the end the debate is just Grado colouration vs HFM smoothness and accuracy with a slight fun tonality, which is as different in the headphones world as one can get. A much more reasonable comparison would be between the much more neutral Grado HP1000s and the higher end HFMs.

P.S.: a bit off-topic but for anyone wondering, the KSC75s sound like crap without the headband mod, but with it, they take on a very different character. I honestly prefer those to the ATH-M50s I used to own, it just has an exceedingly better timbre and a more Grado-like tight punchy somewhat rolled-off bass that's good for rock music on-the-go. The treble also mellows out as the headband presses the drivers closer to the ears.

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #12 of 46
I would go for the hifi mans they have a really nice straight foward sound I love it for rock it's definitely my choice of the 2 I love grados but the hifiman wins this one

Aug 18, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #13 of 46
Quote:

Do any of you have HE400s or heard of it in person? Just curious.

Quote:
I have not but can his amp power the HE-400 properly? 

well I currently have have a pair of he-400s, and I have tried them with a e17 (my old portable rig) and my desktop rig, a woo audio wa2. I like the way they sound alot and I think they are a little more comfy dispite the headband making my head hurt after a while, But there are few things more pleasing than a pair of grados and some classic rock. even with grado headphones having all the flaws that they do like the comfort problems and leaking alot even for open headphones, I forget about all of that when I use them because they have one of the more lively and fun sounds I have herd. So in the end I think that the hifimans are fantastic headphones, but to me they never really had the soul the grados do.

Aug 18, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #15 of 46
Quote:

well I currently have have a pair of he-400s, and I have tried them with a e17 (my old portable rig) and my desktop rig, a woo audio wa2. I like the way they sound alot and I think they are a little more comfy dispite the headband making my head hurt after a while, But there are few things more pleasing than a pair of grados and some classic rock. even with grado headphones having all the flaws that they do like the comfort problems and leaking alot even for open headphones, I forget about all of that when I use them because they have one of the more lively and fun sounds I have herd. So in the end I think that the hifimans are fantastic headphones, but to me they never really had the soul the grados do.

Oh that's perfectly reasonable. Grados' colouration is important in that it is hand-tuned to work well and compliment rock music, that's the main reason why different Grados all have a somewhat similar FR (except the ultra entry-level and ultra high-end Grados), because they work. My side of the argument is that I value accuracy more than imposed colouration in enjoyment of music, and there lies the fissure that divides the two groups of people here.

Then again, not to be hypocritical, it needs to be clarified the HE400s are indeed voiced not to be perfectly neutral; however nor do they possess any aggressive colouration that 'mask' music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back