RS1i vs. PS500 vs. MS Pro
Jun 3, 2013 at 1:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Koerhijo

Head-Fier
I am merely posting this thread to get opinions about these three headphones - the RS1i, the PS500, and the MS Pro. All of them are within the same price range, and all are Grado-like in some form or another. Yet, all of them have different sounds.

Some background about myself - I currently own the Grado SR80i. I am in love with its forward vocals, bass presence, and airy sound. I also really like its crisp, articulate sound (for a $80 headphone - I expect the upgrade to be even better). I listen to the SR80i with L-cush pads, and this adds a bit to the bass presence.

However, I know that the SR80i isn't perfect. I want a less harsh treble, more bass presence while remaining the same punch (for example, Denons make my head hurt. I enjoy the presence and sound of the bass, but don't want it too punchy and impactful).

As far as music goes, my likes range from Haste the Day (hard rock) to Coldplay. It also includes EDM music, though doesn't have to excel at that genre.

What are your opinions about these three headphones?

I checked the forums, but only found one isolated post about these three and his music tastes varied from mine. The answers also weren't broad enough to compare to my own taste. If I missed a post, then please link it to me and slap me on the wrist.

Jun 3, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #2 of 8
Personally if you like the Grado SR-80 then the RS1 which I have owned will not improve upon that sound much if at all.  I would go sample a pair of Philips Cityscape Downtown headphone.  Be sure to wear them over your glasses as some people find they pinch a tad in that area.

Do you require the headphone to be portable?

Jun 3, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #3 of 8
I had the RS1s and the PS500s in house for a week recently.
I think you'd probably prefer the PS-500s. They both have that magical Grado midrange, but the PS 500s are a tad more efficient, have a somewhat smoother treble, and significantly more low bass content.  There's substantially more "slam" with the 500s.
I listen to a wide variety of genres, including a fair amount of rock, and I liked them both, but I liked the PS-500s a little better.
I tended to like them across the board, but the gap was wider on less than great recordings.
They're also $100 cheaper.
That said, I've got a pair of older SR-125s and they do sound some what more like the RS-1s.
And with all due respect to NA Blur, while the 80s are great phones, either the RS-1s or RS-500s represent a big step up. They have the Grado cardinal virtues, just in larger quantity. 

Jun 4, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #4 of 8
I don't expect a change in sound signature - I WANT the sound signature of the SR80i. I just want it to be much more refined (separation between the notes i.e. black space) and a tad bit more bass.

Portability isn't an issue with me, and thanks for the information about the glasses. If I were to look at those headphones, I'll be sure to audition them first.

Efficiency isn't an issue for me, but it's nice to note.

Are you saying that the PS500 was better than the RS1i, and it was much better on poorly mastered recordings? If that's the case, then the PS500 sounds terrific to me since I do listen to pop at times and we all know how poorly mastered that gets.

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
Are you saying that the PS500 was better than the RS1i, and it was much better on poorly mastered recordings? If that's the case, then the PS500 sounds terrific to me since I do listen to pop at times and we all know how poorly mastered that gets.

Yes, that's what I'm saying. Or more accurately, that I liked them both, but I liked the PS500s better, and I thought they were a tad more forgiving on bad recordings while still sounding superb on great ones like the great Latin Playboys cut I'm listening to right now. 
Also you can read a lot into the fact that the RS-1s were the ones I gave back, although I could have lived pretty happily with either pair.
A reminder: they really do change--and improve with break in, and it can take a couple hundred hours to do so completely. 

Jun 4, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #6 of 8
I've owned the RS1 and RS1i and loved them. But as time passed the excessive treble energy really got to me. The MS Pros are great choices, but my current favourite Grado production headphone is the PS500. Classic Grado sound WITHOUT the ringing in my ears after I listen to them for extended periods.

Jun 5, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #7 of 8
I think the PS are a hybrid of the RS-1 and 325s. RS has been good for classic rock (acoustic/electric guitar 70s) but more energetic and power based genre do better with the metal cylinder 325. Just my opinion that the more refined Pros would be more for that type music as it's tuned to be less aggressive than the RS. So the PS seems the better phone for your music.

Just another opinion in the sea of sound.

Jun 13, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #8 of 8
After hearing the PS500, I can definitely say that I enjoy its sound. Grado-like sound, while still not being piercing on brightly-mixed tracks.

I will be directly comparing it to the RS1 (non i) in the next week - I'll give my impressions then.

Thanks for the advice! All of you were spot on about the PS500 so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back