Rs1i vs LCD-2 vs LCD-3
Jan 16, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #31 of 43

Quote:
I consider the LCD-2/3s neutral...another take on neutral. Some think neutral = bright. But I think it should sound like you hear things in real life. And the Audeze headphones do that very, very well.

Yeah, from what I've heard neutral for headphones, FR wise needs to have a slight bass bias since the drivers are so close to your ears... they effectively can't reproduce the large reverb neutral speakers can

Do the LCD2s have the same FR pretty much as the HD650?

Jan 16, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #32 of 43

Quote:
Yeah, from what I've heard neutral for headphones, FR wise needs to have a slight bass bias since the drivers are so close to your ears... they effectively can't reproduce the large reverb neutral speakers can

Do the LCD2s have the same FR pretty much as the HD650?

Similar, but not too similar. The treble on the HD650s was too rolled off for me, while I find the LCD-2/3s extend quite a bit further (though pushed back to account for the close driver proximity to your ears. The bass on the HD650s (in comparison to the LCD-2/3s) is flabbier and not as defined or tight.

Sound stage wise, I'd give the edge to the HD650s over the LCD-2s. But the LCD-3s are a step up in that regard over the LCD-2s.

Jan 16, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #33 of 43

Quote:
Similar, but not too similar. The treble on the HD650s was too rolled off for me, while I find the LCD-2/3s extend quite a bit further (though pushed back to account for the close driver proximity to your ears. The bass on the HD650s (in comparison to the LCD-2/3s) is flabbier and not as defined or tight.

Sound stage wise, I'd give the edge to the HD650s over the LCD-2s. But the LCD-3s are a step up in that regard over the LCD-2s.

Is the LCD3 darker than LCD2?

Jan 17, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #38 of 43
Quote:

May I ask what does "dark" mean here? Is the "dark" quality necessarily bad? Can the re-cabling help? I apologize for an elementary question here.
Thanks a lot!

It usually means less treble and upper mid-range, more bass and lower mid-range.

Cables don't do anything as long as aren't being used in the completely wrong application. Plenty of people will want to debate that, but they're probably not going to use facts.

Jan 17, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #40 of 43
I know this probably comes off as stupid, but, OP, considering you're going to college, I would actually say look into some custom IEMs. Not sure what your living situation there will be, but if you're in the dorms, the isolation of an IEM will be a big positive and you won't bother your roommate if you have one (open headphones would bug me just as much as PC speakers and even regular speakers not cranked up in a dorm environment). Plus you'd have some great portable headphones for walking to class/studying in the library, etc.

I think their sound would also be closer to the Grados, and offer the better precision and other elements you're looking for. Soundstage won't be as good, but I'm not sure how much that'd be an issue coming from the RS1i's (I'll be honest, I don't know their exact sound qualities). 

Ok, I reread your OP and saw the music you listed. Oof, sorry, I don't know how you can listen to Breaking Benjamin on the Grados (I'm assuming you're probably more into post-Saturate, and if you're specifically talking about their most recent album then yikes). In fact, on second thought, I really don't know if I'd recommend custom IEMs, as modern overly compressed rock (in fact, specifically the most recent Breaking Benjamin, Alice In Chains - Black Gives Way to Blue, and heavily compressed metal) didn't fare that well on the Westone ES3X I had. They really showed how bad the compression is on them. Then again, I didn't like the Breaking Benjamin and Alice In Chains album much more on modded W5000s either (I recall the W5000 and RS1 being compared but don't quote me as saying they're similar) so it might not be that bad for you.

Personally though, a closed headphone would be a must for me in a college setting.

Jan 17, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #42 of 43

Quote:
Interesting.  I must say I'm QUITE envious of your can collection at the moment!  Hot damn!!

Quote:
Gotta love MH's collection:

Thanks guys...go figure I came here over three 3 years ago looking to upgrade from my Bose QC2s...and it just kinda happened over time.
blink.gif

Quote:

May I ask what does "dark" mean here? Is the "dark" quality necessarily bad? Can the re-cabling help? I apologize for an elementary question here.
Thanks a lot!

Just as stated by others, less "treble" energy compared to other "brighter" headphones. Comparatively to say the HD800s, the LCD-2s are "darker", but whether they are absolutely dark, I wouldn't call the LCD-2 rev.2 or LCD-3s "absolutely dark"....just comparatively to other brighter headphones. I would classify the LCD-2 rev. 1s as slightly "dark" like the HD650s.

Jan 19, 2012 at 6:50 AM Post #43 of 43

Quote:
In a couple months I'm going to be graduating from my high school so I was hoping to get a new headphone setup before college with approx. a 2k budget.  Right now I'm using a Grado 225i with senn yellow pads and an Ibasso d12 with stock opamps.  I enjoy the "in your face" sound of the grados, but would like more precision.  I also appreciate good mids, punchy bass, and high, but not screechy, highs.  I listen to some nightwish/glitch mob along with breaking benjamin, and some other rock bands.  Right now I'm looking at either a stand-alone LCD-3 to be powered by my d12, an LCD-2 with a Meier Audio Concerto amp, or the grados with an unknown amp.  I understand that it doesnt take much to power the grados, but if there is a specific amp that anybody knows of that complements them well that would be great.  Any advice?

Symphones Magnums (heavily modified Grados) are your answer. Then you wont have to worry about your amp requirements and all that. They'll simply be as good as whatever is feeding them, yet still very good even out of an iPod.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back