RS1 Owners: question
Feb 5, 2009 at 9:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

vvanrij

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,

I was wondering is there alot of 'wear' on the rods? I'm used to te round rods which just swivel around etc, but with these square rods it feels like if I swivel em around too much (I always put it flat for storage), that it might wear. Any experience with this?

Cheers,

Victor

Feb 5, 2009 at 11:35 AM Post #3 of 16
No wear with mine, either...I don't adjust them or pull on them while they're on my head. I take them off and this allows easier adjustment imo....I also feel like there is less wear this way. I always lie them down and haven't seen any wear from it...just don't lay them flat on you chair as you get up.
biggrin.gif

rs1smile.gif

Feb 5, 2009 at 11:50 AM Post #4 of 16
Hmm, so I shouldn't be worried about laying them flat everytime I take them off?

Feb 5, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #5 of 16
I've had my RS-1s for about 8 years. For the first couple of years, I would store them in the box after use, and I do not see any wear on mine.

I wouldn't worry about laying them flat every time you take them off.

Feb 5, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #6 of 16
Excellent, thank you for the responses. Its just that I thought the system of the square rods fitted in the round openings with slight resistance seemed like a bad idea to me (from grado), as the steel rod would just scrape the plastic until its big enough to move without friction (and thus fall through haha).

Cheers

Feb 5, 2009 at 1:35 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent, thank you for the responses. Its just that I thought the system of the square rods fitted in the round openings with slight resistance seemed like a bad idea to me (from grado), as the steel rod would just scrape the plastic until its big enough to move without friction (and thus fall through haha).

Cheers

I think it's a more complicated mechanism than that, and the connection is metal to metal... not metal to plastic. Unless there's a plastic grommit in there to keep it together.

A note to anyone about to buy though: If you get a new RS1, there's also a chance you'll get one with round rods.

Feb 5, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #9 of 16
I have a vintage pair - no wear is evident.

Feb 5, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mercuttio, What dt770 are your only full sized cans now? what happened?

Honestly? They're simply very multi-purpose and sound pretty good. I'd say they're my favorite full sized headphone. Yup, some others sound better but generally they're not as comfortable or durable. They're also particularly good for movies and games while remaining easy to drive from nearly anything.

Feb 5, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jivetrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mine just came with round rods, i wonder if that's going to be the norm from now on.

That appears to be what they are now. Could you take some pictures of them? And the headband? I haven't seen a pair like that yet and I'm curious about them.

Feb 5, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #13 of 16
I have square rods, have owned them for close to three years and have taken them halfway around the world. No wear at all from swiveling the cups.

However, a couple years ago, the joint where the rod connects to the cup holding bracket gave out. I cleaned the rod and the hole out, then re-set it with the toughest epoxy I could find. No problems since and I continue to take them everywhere.

Feb 5, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #14 of 16
Here you are Mercuttio.

For some that were wondering about the "build differences" thread I posted a while back, I still don't have a nice enough camera to take a picture of the drivers inside the cups. I'm still looking to borrow one though and will post the pictures as soon as I can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back