RS1 less bright/fatiguing than GS1K?
Jun 24, 2009 at 6:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

BoxBoxBox

Aka: AndrewG
GS1K is giving great sound, nice depth and impact but in extended listening makes one of my ears numb from the brightness/harshness, if I went down to RS1 or HF2, is it better for longer listening sessions and wouldn't cause these problems? I wear headphones about 80 % of the day

Jun 24, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #3 of 11
I've owned both and they both have a spike in the highs. I found that the GS-1000 can sound very harsh in the wrong system, while the RS-1 is pretty much the same in most set ups.

If it hurts your ears you need to turn the volume down. In other words, the max volume should be where the peak in the highs and bass is at its highest, and that shouldn't be painful unless the volume is too high.

Jun 24, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxBoxBox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
GS1K is giving great sound, nice depth and impact but in extended listening makes one of my ears numb from the brightness/harshness, if I went down to RS1 or HF2, is it better for longer listening sessions and wouldn't cause these problems? I wear headphones about 80 % of the day

This -- brightness/harshness -- is not my experience with the GS1K. I can listen to it for long stretches with no fatigue. You might want to try it with a different rig before giving up on it. I haven't heard the other two you mention so I can't say if they're more or less bright/harsh.

Jun 24, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #6 of 11
I'm not sure they were made for "low volume listening" (no matter a certain review).

As mentioned by many, the GS1K is a problematic phone. If you like it though it's worth building a system around and can sound great. It's a difficult journey though - I eventually sold mine ... twice. Certainly brightness/exaggerated treble energy is a sign of system matching issues with these Grados. Trouble is from my experience that's with the vast majority of amps/sources. GS1Ks needs a little signature correcting - usually with tubes, though digital EQing may work too.

Jun 24, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've owned both and they both have a spike in the highs. I found that the GS-1000 can sound very harsh in the wrong system, while the RS-1 is pretty much the same in most set ups.

I agree, though the treble spike was never anywhere near distracting or too harsh with RS-1. With GS1000 it was very clear and caused sibilance effect in wrong system.

Jun 24, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #8 of 11
I have experience listening to both and I would sum them up as follows:

GS1000 - Row N perspective
RS-1 - Row H perspective

Jun 24, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #9 of 11
I speak from the briefest of experiences doing an A/B between the two through a Heed Canamp - the GS1K highs killed me, they were extremely piercing in that system - the RS1 didn't have that issue.

Jun 26, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #10 of 11
I find most Grados to be slightly piercing. This wasn't the case initially for me, but after years of headphone use, I've become more sensitive. I have experience with the RS-1's and GS1000's and find that after about an hour or so, they both get fatiguing. The GS-1000's are less so, providing you listen at the same volume levels. But ,the GS1000's have recessed mids. To compensate for this, I would tend to crank them up a bit more which also raised the level of the aggressive highs. Nevertheless, they're both fine cans, but not for everyone.

Jun 26, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #11 of 11
the fact that BlessingX sold his GS1000 due to this harshness says something, because his rig made it sound significantly better (smoother) than on any other rig I've heard...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back