RS1 disappointment in high frequencies...
Jul 7, 2011 at 6:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

pogodrummer

100+ Head-Fier
Hello. i have had my rs1is for about a week now, and i started comparing them to the AKG k701.
I'm pretty disappoint about the grados, i mean yes they have that grado sound and all, good controlled bass, spectacular mids, but the highs...
I just can't hear them.
Compared to the k701s they are less airy and have less detail in the highs. The cymbals with the 701s just come through, while with the rs1s i have got to like figure them out.
I know this sound weird, but if you happen to have a pair of both phones, try listening to this:
http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencycheckhigh.php
i can only hear the grados from 20.5k while the k701s just go higher, i really feel the sound at 21.5k...
Is this just my impression? could it be that i have a pair of broken/modded/dysfunctional pair of rs1s? (bought them used here on HF with 10hrs on them)
Please tell me, because i just love their sound, except for that upper end i feel is missing...
thank you very much!
Luka

Jul 8, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #3 of 30
Quote:Originally Posted by pogodrummer 

"Hello. i have had my rs1is for about a week now, and i started comparing them to the AKG k701.I'm pretty disappoint about the grados, i mean yes they have that grado sound and all, good controlled bass, spectacular mids, but the highs...I just can't hear them.Compared to the k701s they are less airy and have less detail in the highs. The cymbals with the 701s just come through, while with the rs1s i have got to like figure them out.I know this sound weird, but if you happen to have a pair of both phones, try listening to this:http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencycheckhigh.phpi can only hear the grados from 20.5k while the k701s just go higher, i really feel the sound at 21.5k...Is this just my impression? could it be that i have a pair of broken/modded/dysfunctional pair of rs1s? (bought them used here on HF with 10hrs on them)Please tell me, because i just love their sound, except for that upper end i feel is missing...thank you very much!Luka"

There isn't a large difference between 20.5kHz and 21.5kHz if it's even audible. There is very little musical information at that frequency. So to claim the Grado RS1 is rolled off because it's not as strong at 21.5kHz compared to the K70x is wierd. I've had several Grados while I had the AKG 70x headphones and I would hardly say the Grados are rolled off. The AKG may be a bit more detailed and a little more refined compared but I'm not sure I heard what you heard.

Jul 8, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #4 of 30
Something' wrong with dem ears boy'

RS1 have a roll off, on paper, but you can't hear it

On paper my HD598 have more off a roll off, but they sound great

And Grado are masters with separation and clarity

So, there is something wrong here.

And AKG K701 are made to be more balanced, they wouldn't go for separation like a Grado

SO, there has to be something wrong here

Jul 8, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #5 of 30

Quote:
The highs on your RS1s roll off?
eek.gif

My LCD2's are too fatiguing with their shrill highs
tongue.gif

But yes OP something is wrong here...

Jul 8, 2011 at 7:46 AM Post #13 of 30

Quote:
21.5k from the RS-1i and you're not satisified? I'd suggtest you go back and listen to the MUSIC with your RS-1 and K701 and then rethink to whole "roll-off" thing.

it's 20.5k with the rs1s, 21.5 with k701.
I can hear pretty high, up to about 23/23.5, this with speakers.
It's just that i can't distinguish the cymbals when there's a lot of information in the song with the rs1, while i can with the k701.
the rs1 still aren't fully burnt in (about 14 hrs on them) so that could be it.
source is a nuforce icon hd and music is on CDs, SACDs and flac level 2 and 4, no mp3s here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back