RS-1 vs MS-Pro: a comparative review
Apr 3, 2006 at 2:50 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
Nice little review you put together here! Now I can't wait until my MS-Pro gets here

Thanks, cheechoz. Definately let us all know what you think of the MS-Pro in terms of sound (and of course, build quality, heh-heh). I've seen some pics of recently built (high serial number) RS-1s and MS-Pro's that look like they still have some "late Friday" traits in them, although to a much lesser degree. From those pics, the lacquering looks good but I still see some slightly rough and feathered edges in the wood near the grill.

It is worth mentioning that ever since I wrote the comparative review, I crushed the bowl pads on the MS-Pro under some heavy books overnight. This has the effect of bringing out the bass and midrange to near RS-1 levels, likely because the drivers are closer to the ears. Unfortunately, I did not do a crushed bowl MS-Pro to RS-1 comparison because I already returned the RS-1 for reasons described above.

Quote:

Surely there's someone u can take to court for time you worked that went unpaid!?

Believe it or not, I'm got my old job back at the same company and have been working there for the past 2 months. They filed for backruptcy and are now operating on a limited basis while they sell assets to pay off their debt. I am listed as a creditor and should be getting my December pay soon. In addition, due to California state law, I will also be getting unused vacation hours as pay. That's 188hrs of extra pay for me!

Apr 3, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #17 of 29
I was lucky to have the luxury of inspecting my RS-1 before purchasing it. The new ones still do look a little different from the first batch RS-1 pictures I've seen, but they're really quite nice.

Apr 3, 2006 at 4:49 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
I was lucky to have the luxury of inspecting my RS-1 before purchasing it. The new ones still do look a little different from the first batch RS-1 pictures I've seen, but they're really quite nice.

Just went right to the source, eh?
tongue.gif

Apr 3, 2006 at 7:09 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky
Just went right to the source, eh?
tongue.gif

Well it was Harvey in Manhattan, and they claimed that they had asked Grado to "Specially inspect all RS1" destined for their store. Which, uh, I seriously doubt if Grado actually did or not. Still, they had no problem with me opening it up in the store and taking a look.

Apr 3, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69
Thanks, cheechoz. Definately let us all know what you think of the MS-Pro in terms of sound (and of course, build quality, heh-heh). I've seen some pics of recently built (high serial number) RS-1s and MS-Pro's that look like they still have some "late Friday" traits in them, although to a much lesser degree. From those pics, the lacquering looks good but I still see some slightly rough and feathered edges in the wood near the grill.

It's not the sound I'm worried about, it's just what you said about the "Late Friday" editions that are floating around!
mad.gif

I spoke with the Alessandro rep, and he said that he never saw any wood defects on their MS-Pro's, plus they are waiting, along with me for a new batch to come in, and he said that he has many orders to fill. I'm sure Grado knows about the wood problems by now, so I'm hoping to be clear of any post consumer hassles!! Though I made it very clear to him that if I find any wood defects on a $700 headphone, they are going right back to him!!
eek.gif

Apr 3, 2006 at 7:47 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
It's not the sound I'm worried about, it's just what you said about the "Late Friday" editions that are floating around!
mad.gif

I spoke with the Alessandro rep, and he said that he never saw any wood defects on their MS-Pro's, plus they are waiting, along with me for a new batch to come in, and he said that he has many orders to fill. I'm sure Grado knows about the wood problems by now, so I'm hoping to be clear of any post consumer hassles!! Though I made it very clear to him that if I find any wood defects on a $700 headphone, they are going right back to him!!
eek.gif

Well we know Kontai's was #2000 something, right? Mine was definitely made after, it is #3105 I think. If those ARE actually the number of the RS1 that is. So, if mine is fairly recent (and it should be, stores in NYC are often out of stock of them, right?) then Alessandro is waiting on a batch even newer than the #3105 RS1! Should be fine.

Sep 6, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #24 of 29
This is an old thread back but still very interesting review. I hope I won't regret my recent RS-1 purchase. It would be very interesting to have someone review de MS-PRO against the newer "buttonless" RS-1.

Sep 6, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #25 of 29
I found out that first I didn't like my new RS-1's because they are much brighter than RS-2's. I have now gave couple of days to RS-1's and I'm beginning to like them more and more. Same time I can more easily hear the differences between the two.

So my advice: Give them a thorough listening and don't give up if they don't impress you right from the start.

Nov 2, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #26 of 29
And now I've bought MS-Pro's aswell from a fellow finnish head-fier. Can't wait to hear them and make my own opinion of my trio.

Also I've ordered GS1000 pads and Nickerators so I will be testing the "MS-Ultimate" version aswell.

Nov 2, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And now I've bought MS-Pro's aswell from a fellow finnish head-fier. Can't wait to hear them and make my own opinion of my trio.

Also I've ordered GS1000 pads and Nickerators so I will be testing the "MS-Ultimate" version aswell.

Cool. Let us know how they compare to the RS-1. Ive been interested in the MS-Pro for a while now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back