RS-1 vs k701 Comparison
Sep 16, 2006 at 1:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Jam_Master_J

Headphoneus Supremus
I've had some RS-1s on loan here for a bit and decided to post my impressions of their relative merits. The RS-1 used bowls.

First of all, despite the price difference I find both headphones to be in the sonic league overall. My rig is foobar->Musical Fidelity X-DAC->Millet Hybrid with Diamond buffers.

Presentation: The RS-1s present a more energetic, focused sound. The k701 leans toward airiness and seperation.

Bass: Bass on the RS-1 has a good bit of punch but seems very non-linear. Some songs sound punchy when they really don't seem to call for it and bass guitar doesn't seem as consistent as the k701. The k701 bass is slightly softer in attack but seems to capture more range.

Mids: Both headphones have a satisfying midrange. The k701 sounds sweeter with female vocals while the RS-1 sounds "crunchier" with guitars. Vocals on RS-1 tend to sound unneccesarily "shouty".

Highs: The k701 has better highs in all regards for me. RS-1 sounds peaky and abrasive with alot of material. k701 has airy but not overly soft highs.

Overall: One conclusion I've come to in this comparison is that the k701 do indeed rock well for my purposes despite some people finding the opposite. I find the k701 a better choice for me despite the occasional time that the RS-1 really suits a song/album well.

Sep 16, 2006 at 2:32 PM Post #2 of 19
Lol. Grado is held under anything but the brightest of light and no one posts.
tongue.gif

I liked your little mini comparison. The K701 sounds like a real bargain. It's just hyping me up for when mine arrive...

Sep 16, 2006 at 3:34 PM Post #3 of 19
I have the same combo and love them both. I guess, at this point the slight edge would have to go to the Grados. There is something about the RS-1's (however uncomfortable) that makes music sound as I have never heard it. It is so close, clear and perfect. I have yet to hear a single song that didnt sound outstanding with these. I have been scanning through my library rediscovering music I havent listened to in years and I am just amazed at how they sound with the RS-1. Vocals, acoustic guitar, and drums in particular.

However, the 701's are outstanding as well. The sound is so much wider and fuller- the highs are up front, the music is airy, detailed and clear. I can get lost in the 701's when I listen to electronic or multi layered music. Guitar driven music, however, while clear and detailed, certainly can lack a bit of punch. I guess this is why the 2 complement each other so well.

I guess, the only problem I have with the grado's is their comfort. If I found a single headphone that balanced these two, I may sell them both off (or not). Eagerly awaiting the DT990's.

Sep 16, 2006 at 6:29 PM Post #4 of 19
I have listened to my RS-1 and K701 in all type of setups. Different DACs, Amps, Sources, etc. To me there is no comparison the RS-1 destroys the K701 all the time. At least that is what I hear.
rs1smile.gif

Sep 17, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jam_Master_J
I find the k701 a better choice for me despite the occasional time that the RS-1 really suits a song/album well.

I agree. The RS1 is a good $300 can but its not very honest and for me that makes it unnatural for a lot of material. I preferred both the Senn 650 and AKG 701. I'd actually put the Beyer 880 only slightly behind the Grado RS1 as well. Its flaws would be easier to swallow at a lower price but at $700 its just poor value in the face of stiff competition at half its asking price
frown.gif

Sep 17, 2006 at 1:55 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude
I agree. The RS1 is a good $300 can but its not very honest and for me that makes it unnatural for a lot of material. I preferred both the Senn 650 and AKG 701. I'd actually put the Beyer 880 only slightly behind the Grado RS1 as well. Its flaws would be easier to swallow at a lower price but at $700 its just poor value in the face of stiff competition at half its asking price
frown.gif

Finally someone talkin some sense around here.
biggrin.gif

Sep 17, 2006 at 1:58 AM Post #7 of 19
In my opinion, I find that the RS-1s are a great set of cans that other cans can't really match up to in terms of what they offer. In other words, for some people, RS-1s are the only cans that really "do it" for them within the relative price range/bracket. The K701s, HD650s, DT990/880s are all good and all, but the RS-1 really is totally different from the rest of that pack.

Sep 17, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan
x2

x3.
I recently sold my RS-1's and I currently own K701's and HD650's. The RS-1's are simply in a different league (at least IMO).
Are the K701's and HD650's good cans? Oh yes! Are they a better value than the RS-1's? Certainly! Are they better than/on par with the RS-1's? No, I don't think so.
It's all about the law of diminishing returns, which I definately understand when it comes to headphones -->
gs1000.gif

Also, the $700 price tag never really shows itself, unless you buy new which is unnecessary.

Sep 17, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
I have listened to my RS-1 and K701 in all type of setups. Different DACs, Amps, Sources, etc. To me there is no comparison the RS-1 destroys the K701 all the time. At least that is what I hear.
rs1smile.gif

you heard it right

Sep 17, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep
only negative thing about both RS1 and GS1000 is the price
wink.gif

This is true, but I have never received as much enjoyment from a piece of audio equipment as I have from my GS1k's, so price truly does become irrelavent. The same was the case when I had my RS-1's (and hadn't heard the GS1k's).

Sep 17, 2006 at 6:12 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jussei
x3.
I recently sold my RS-1's and I currently own K701's and HD650's. The RS-1's are simply in a different league (at least IMO).
Are the K701's and HD650's good cans? Oh yes! Are they a better value than the RS-1's? Certainly! Are they better than/on par with the RS-1's? No, I don't think so.
It's all about the law of diminishing returns, which I definately understand when it comes to headphones -->
gs1000.gif

Also, the $700 price tag never really shows itself, unless you buy new which is unnecessary.

x4... Although I think the RS1 is a 1-trick pony.
NOTHING replicates live / in-person guitar tones like the RS1. It turns your head into a mesa 4x12.
NOTHING replicates live / in-person drum tones like the RS1. it actually sounds like a REAL multi-ply wood drum resonating.

Either thats an ideal kind of sound for you or not.... hence its love hate reputation. IMHO its the ONLY can in existence with this sound signature... a real one of a kind sound. Those who value this will find it a bargain regardless of price.

I like the K701 a lot, but it can't compete with the RS1 in this regard. Thats no knock against the 701 though. Its got some amazing resonant sub bass extension and treble sparkle that the RS1 clearly lacks. And the RS1 soundstage pretty much sucks.... it places you in the isolation booth with the musicians. The 701 is also a little more detail revealing, and a little faster IMHO. It dememands a better source, while the RS1 tends to color everything and can mask poor sources, making them sound better than they really are.

At $700 it ain't chump change. Although the one thing that I find so attractive about he RS1, is that its a Combination of all the lower end Grados. It combines elements of all the SR series, and the RS2. No one in their right mind would buy every Grado... But you can almost get there with the RS1.

RS1 needs warm tube amplification, like a melos Gold, Johns reference amp. I also find that with my millet it can get a little shouty.

*edit*
Im listening to Petruccis monster wank-fest solo off their "Once in a Livetime" Paris gig, as I type this. "Step aside A250... this aint your gig".

dscn77540wt.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back