RS-1 Appreciation Thread starts here!!!!
Jun 2, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #588 of 721
I bought RS-1 used a couple of months ago together with a used WooAudio WA6 amp, and I'm enjoying the combo a lot. These cans are the ones I reach for most frequently these days. It took some time to get used to the sound, but now I prefer bowls to flat pads because of the better soundstage. And they also look great! These will probably be my favorite for a long time.

Jun 2, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #589 of 721
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crestfallen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought RS-1 used a couple of months ago together with a used WooAudio WA6 amp, and I'm enjoying the combo a lot. These cans are the ones I reach for most frequently these days. It took some time to get used to the sound, but now I prefer bowls to flat pads because of the better soundstage. And they also look great! These will probably be my favorite for a long time.

congrats mate, enjoy them! the RS-1 my best can so far.

Jun 2, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #590 of 721
Thanks! By the way, I forgot to mention that the serial number of my RS-1s is in the early 1200s. Being the third owner, I'm not sure how old they are. I wonder if anyone could offer an estimate, or maybe even exact information?

Jun 2, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #591 of 721
Quote:

Thanks! By the way, I forgot to mention that the serial number of my RS-1s is in the early 1200s. Being the third owner, I'm not sure how old they are. I wonder if anyone could offer an estimate, or maybe even exact information?

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/cla...ogress-420092/

Jun 2, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #592 of 721
Thank you for pointing out that thread. I had somehow missed it. I'm glad mine is not the Late Friday version!

Jun 2, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #593 of 721
Quote:

Don't forget to check the more popular WA6 threads to find the best tubes for your setup. You MUST buy a Sophia Princess 274b rectifier and some RCA 6DE7 driver tubes. If that is too expensive, then you'll find good suggestions for other options.

Jun 2, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #594 of 721
how are the RCA 6DE7 different? i currently have the GE's 6DE7 i think, but i find the grado and woo combo to be a little too bright/forward for my taste. might just be that the RS1i is brighter than older models in nature.

Jun 2, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #596 of 721
Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how are the RCA 6DE7 different? i currently have the GE's 6DE7 i think, but i find the grado and woo combo to be a little too bright/forward for my taste. might just be that the RS1i is brighter than older models in nature.

The stock Sovtek 5U4G and some of the SAR4 rectifier tubes are a little bright or have some plasticky treble and may not do well with Grados (but did better with Edition 9). An Amperex Bugle Boy or metal base GZ34 or Philips metal base GZ34 would be less bright and more tube'y sounding, but the sound stage was smaller and more forward.

So, rectifier tubes make a big difference too. The Sophia is the best, but it needs 80-100 hour burn-in. At first it can be a little tilted up at both ends of the spectrum and lack refinement and bass control. After the first 24 hours of burn-in the Sophia pulls away from all the other rectifier tubes I tried and just got better and better. (the manufacturer recommended 100 hours, but even 24 is enough to start liking it better) So, start tuning your amp for the RS-1 and enjoy!

Jun 4, 2009 at 9:14 AM Post #599 of 721
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't forget to check the more popular WA6 threads to find the best tubes for your setup. You MUST buy a Sophia Princess 274b rectifier and some RCA 6DE7 driver tubes. If that is too expensive, then you'll find good suggestions for other options.

Thanks for pointing that out. Yes, tubes are definitely another new world to delve in. I'm certainly going to try out some different tubes. Sophia is a bit pricey, but I'll look into other recommendations.

Jun 4, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #600 of 721
Has anyone here used an RS-1 with an M3 (either with an S11 or without) ?

I'm using the M3+S11 with AD843's and I'm loving the sound.. really brought it out compared to the essence stx amp and the 3move amp...

I'm curious if anyone found a better opamp combo or if they heard a CMOY/RA1 and an M3 and can comment?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back