RP010B-MkII or Balanced B22
Sep 15, 2009 at 6:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

rosgr63

Headphoneus Supremus
I have read a lot of comments about these two amps, however I would like to know which is better the RudiStor RP010B-MkII or a pro/well built B22?
Thanks

Sep 15, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #2 of 53
I have read a lot about them too. But I never had a chance to audit them.
I guess it's difficult to state that one is better than another. They are all sublime. They are just different
biggrin.gif

Sep 16, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #3 of 53
You are right, very different but if you were to invest in one of them which would it be?

Sep 16, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #4 of 53
With the top RudiStor you buy the peace of mind that everything is top notch and matched together - parts, materials, schematic, layout, internal shielding and power supply sectioning. When you buy DIY it's often designed to be easier to assemble and more obvious electrically. For Beta22 you have to make a choice whether you need a 2 or 3-channel version, balanced or unbalanced. You won't calm down completely whether you chose the right one. When it comes to the sound, it will partly rely on the builder's selection and his taste. So there is no surprise that opinions on DIY stuff vary the most, while people reporting their opinions don't lie actually becasue it is exactly what they heard. The same schematic with different parts, different wiring and casing will sound a bit different. When the power supply unit is different, the difference might be higher.

Sep 16, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #5 of 53
So the B22 could be a gamble?

Sep 16, 2009 at 11:19 AM Post #6 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by rosgr63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the B22 could be a gamble?

I don't think it would be tough gamble because any properly built B22 should perform very well but you have to know whom to ask for the assembly to get the optimal solution and decide what you really need. When you know, and you also know whether the 2 or 3 channel version is the better choice, then you save a lot of money. Taking the RudiStor, you buy a complete product designed and assembled at the levels of both build and sound quality, and you have all options to play with balanced and unbalanced input and output signals, giving access to all combinations of them, and you don't have to worry what configuration to choose. Also, I doubt somebody would build the Beta22 with all those custom, resin potted power supply transformers and PSU shielding made of aviation industry metal alloy.

Sep 16, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #8 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
B22 from a reputable builder. Easy decision here.

Is it better than the RP-010B MkII? My doubt is so high that I can say I'm sure it's not. When you ask your wallet - I agree.

Sep 16, 2009 at 1:34 PM Post #9 of 53
Thanks majkel. Also from personal experience I can tell you it's very difficult to find a reputable builder.
BTW please forgive my ignorance but what's the difference between the 2 and 3 channel versions of the B22?

Sep 16, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #10 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it better than the RP-010B MkII? My doubt is so high that I can say I'm sure it's not. When you ask your wallet - I agree.

Have you listened to either amp?

Sep 16, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #11 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

RP010B: Price € 3.500,00, (5,131.23 USD)

I know that I can speak confidently that The Monkey didn't spend anywhere near that much on his beta22.

Sep 16, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #12 of 53
I would find someone to build a dyna(low-mid-hi-mite) before the B22, but there is enough misinformation here that its worth talking about it.

Are output caps better than not? Historically the circuit that the rusidstor amps are based on MUST have both input and output caps. A B22 requires no coupling caps in the direct circuit.

What does rating the distortion "at average levels" mean? seriously, come on, average levels? Average for who? That is not a measurement, that is deliberately being vague. Post up distortion graphs at the same levels (set by voltage) into 32 and 300 ohms like AMB has on his website. Even at "average levels" the 010 does not touch the B22 (at an absurdly high output) for distortion.

I have only heard 3 or 4 B22's, but none have hissed audibly. Can you say the same for rudistor amps?

Regarding shielded transformers: mount them in an external enclosure and put it 3 feet away. Or get shielded transformers AND mount them externally, they are not really that expensive.

Yes, you do have some decisions to make when you pick a B22 as an option, but most builders should be able to explain what advantages they have. The only choices you have with a rudistor amp are model and color! If you want special resistors thats too bad. If you want a different bias point, too bad. If you want different coupling caps, too bad.

to answer the Q asked by rosgr63
The 3 channel topologies have slightly lower distortions than the 2 channel designs, but the 2 channel amps are less expensive to build. I do agree that finding a builder can be tough, but they are around. Perhaps Thrice when he comes back around.

Sep 16, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #13 of 53
What would be a "reasonable' price for a top of the range balanced B22 by a pro builder would you say?

Sep 16, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #14 of 53
nikongod, thanks, I've been trying to contact Steven sometime now but no luck.
I know he's busy with his new baby, and I wish him good luck.
As for me I have had my fingers burned.

Sep 16, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #15 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by rosgr63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What would be a "reasonable' price for a top of the range balanced B22 by a pro builder would you say?

Have you tried asking this guy? And a "reasonable" price, my guess is $3,000+ depending on all sorts of decisions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back