Rosson Audio Design RAD-0 - Alex's Beautiful New Baby
Jun 13, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #526 of 1,035
I probably need a better amp but sometimes it can feel a little dark. I thought the Rad0 would sound better in that regard. It’s probably the amp pairing though. The other thing is since mine are the prefazors it lacks the sub bass punch of the fazor model but sounds less bright than the regular 3s.

In my opinion if the Aryas had a bit more forward mids they would probably be my end game but my LCD 3 smokes them on that front. Forward but just enough to not get intrusive with great texture and detail.
The Rad are a bit dark themselves it' the upper mids that make Audeze sound a bit darker than some headphones. You're not going to get anything form the Rad that you wouldn't from an LCD-3.

Maybe look for a HE-500 they pop up on ebay from time to time they have a bit more leading edge than the Audeze phones so will be a good contrast to your LCD-3.

Jun 13, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #527 of 1,035
The Rad are a bit dark themselves it' the upper mids that make Audeze sound a bit darker than some headphones. You're not going to get anything form the Rad that you wouldn't from an LCD-3.

Maybe look for a HE-500 they pop up on ebay from time to time they have a bit more leading edge than the Audeze phones so will be a good contrast to your LCD-3.

Not sure why Hifiman strayed from the 500s. They don’t have anything in their lineup that was as lush as those and they discontinue models more than any other manufacturer I’ve seen.

Jun 13, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #528 of 1,035
Not sure why Hifiman strayed from the 500s. They don’t have anything in their lineup that was as lush as those and they discontinue models more than any other manufacturer I’ve seen.
I agree, the HE-500 and HE-6 are two of my fav headphones and in my opinion they have never been able to capture the magic they had since.

Jun 13, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #529 of 1,035
I probably need a better amp but sometimes it can feel a little dark. I thought the Rad0 would sound better in that regard. It’s probably the amp pairing though. The other thing is since mine are the prefazors it lacks the sub bass punch of the fazor model but sounds less bright than the regular 3s.

In my opinion if the Aryas had a bit more forward mids they would probably be my end game but my LCD 3 smokes them on that front. Forward but just enough to not get intrusive with great texture and detail.

I believe what you need is a "faster" headphones. The LCD3 is supposed to be the lushest (i.e. slow) planar out there and certainly does not lack sub-bass quantity. The RAD-0's smaller driver diagphrams and strong magnets would be faster, though may not have as much sub-bass quantity.

Forget any hifiman if you want "punch". I had the HE500 before and it is no match the the LCD-3. I think the RAD-0 is more similar to the LCD-X in bass tuning.

Jun 14, 2020 at 12:38 AM Post #530 of 1,035
I own a TC, Susvara, and LCD-4. Susvara is my least favorite. I need heft and the Susvara is to thin and to ethereal to my ears. The other two headphones are great.

Would the Rad-0 or the Empyrean have be

1. Fuller?
2. Have more Bass?
3. More Romantic?
4. More seductive midrange?
5. More musical?

I am NOT looking for to much warmth- rather FULLNESS..

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #531 of 1,035
I own a TC, Susvara, and LCD-4. Susvara is my least favorite. I need heft and the Susvara is to thin and to ethereal to my ears. The other two headphones are great.

1. Fuller?
2. Have more Bass?
3. More Romantic?
5. More musical?

1, 2, 4 all go to Emyrean. 3-male goes to Enpyrean, 3-female goes to RAD-0, 5 goes to RAD-0. RAD-0 is VERY rthymic, the kind of headphones just keep you tapping your toes, even with fast pace music, and moderate amping. I feel Emyrean would get "stuffy" with fast pace music (bass frequency decays too long?). So it depends on what kind of music you listen to.

Jun 14, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #532 of 1,035

1. Fuller?
2. Have more Bass?
3. More Romantic?
5. More musical?

Honestly, I think it's extremely hard to find a headphone has more romantic and seductive midrange compare to Susvara. Especially with females voice. I do really like Empyrean a lot, but still, a well driven Susvara (in my case, I love it with Liquid Gold) beat the "seductive" vocal of Meze. Not to mention, the vocal texture as well (and soundstage, micro detail, separation, and so on).

Jun 14, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #533 of 1,035
I believe what you need is a "faster" headphones. The LCD3 is supposed to be the lushest (i.e. slow) planar out there and certainly does not lack sub-bass quantity. The RAD-0's smaller driver diagphrams and strong magnets would be faster, though may not have as much sub-bass quantity.

Forget any hifiman if you want "punch". I had the HE500 before and it is no match the the LCD-3. I think the RAD-0 is more similar to the LCD-X in bass tuning.

I think I agree with you in terms of speed. I’m currently debating between the Stellias and the Verite. I don’t really care for tubes so maybe the Stellias would be worth it. The prefazors have less sub bass.

Jun 20, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #534 of 1,035
Anyone tried fold down headband?
Clamping force is big issiue for me on RAD-0 but i don't want to break it.

Jun 24, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #536 of 1,035
I think I agree with you in terms of speed. I’m currently debating between the Stellias and the Verite. I don’t really care for tubes so maybe the Stellias would be worth it. The prefazors have less sub bass.
I'm assuming you're talking about verite closed if so I think they are the better headphone and are great on ss amps

Jun 24, 2020 at 10:30 PM Post #537 of 1,035

1. Fuller?
2. Have more Bass?
3. More Romantic?
5. More musical?

The empy has killer bass and yes they exhibit fullness.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2020 at 10:37 PM Post #538 of 1,035

1. Fuller?
2. Have more Bass?
3. More Romantic?
5. More musical?

Have you thought about a verite closed or open I'd like someone to chime in of a Empyrean vs verite closed or open with the same questions :)

Jun 26, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #539 of 1,035
I'm assuming you're talking about verite closed if so I think they are the better headphone and are great on ss amps

aren’t the mids a little shouty though?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back