Rose Technology Discussion & Impressions Thread
Nov 2, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #1,082 of 1,255
As @Raketen has already pointed out, this sounds a lot like some contact problems with the MMCX connector.

The connector on Rose Mini2 was clean, solid, and no crackles when rotated.

I had another mmcx connector problem like the UM30Pro where it crackles when rotated but the problem was resolved by changing the cable to a different one - the $12 Penon's. I found the Westone's stock cable was loose and this is a stock cable from $300+ earphone. Therefore getting secured connection solves the problem.

However it is different in Rose Mini2 case - the right side made a crackle noise immediately after inserted to my ear and then went silent.

Happened thrice now so I am sending it back to Penon. I will miss that Rose Mini2 for 2-3 months.

I am aware this case is similar to Yamaha EPH-100 where it went silent due to suction / water clogged issue. But it happens after long hour of listening and can be solved by blowing the speaker. The Rose Mini2, on the other hand, happened right away when inserted to the ears.

edit fixed wordings

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #1,083 of 1,255
While I like my Pudding, it paired with Fiio Q1 mkii listening to Dark Side of the Moon felt off. Then again, the last time I listened to that album recently was using a ZMF Ori & BL driving it, so might not exactly be a fair comparison.

Nov 7, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #1,084 of 1,255
I want to protect Rose from harrasment, I had mini2 for 2 months of everyday hard usage, they were awesome for sleeping and I got 0 problems at all
Your pair works fine so it makes Rose Tech awesome and beyond criticism ? :deadhorse:

The principle of QC is (among other things) to instore representative release testing that makes you 9x% sure that what each unit you sell properly works, at least for small series (which is definitely the case here, unlike IEMs from Sennheiser or JVC). Only large series will end up with QC check not being performed on 100% units, which may let you buy a dud.
A principle which is not very familiar to most Chinese companies because of cultural reasons.

But to be fair, quality management is making steady progress in China because it's mandatory when you start to sell more expensive products to a wealthier population and also when you want to sell outside China.

At the prices that Rose sells (which are already mid-tier prices for most of their models), QC is not an option anymore, and a one-year warranty is not either (which they only accept to honor under pressure from Penon).

One driver failure could be an accident.
3 issues in the first year with 3 pairs starts to look like a serious trend in terms of QC absence.
How many pairs do I have to buy to prove my point ? 20, just to be able to run proper stats ?

Again, I think they do an amazing job at producing very characteristic sound signatures that they describe nicely so you know what to expect when you choose a pair.
Ergonomics are also good.
But they will stay smalll as long as they don't start doing proper engineering and some basic QC.

Dec 8, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #1,085 of 1,255
Well my order for the mini6 went awry, after waiting four weeks after I ordered and paid I get a message that packet is lost and I'll be refunded

Dec 8, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #1,086 of 1,255
Well my order for the mini6 went awry, after waiting four weeks after I ordered and paid I get a message that packet is lost and I'll be refunded

:open_mouth: Sorry Panda, that sux the big one:disappointed:

Dec 8, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #1,088 of 1,255
The reply stated that Rose Technology will take too long to make more

Guess Rose is not doing as well as I would have thought they were, been around a while with enough models that you would think they had a decent stock of them!!!

Dec 8, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #1,091 of 1,255
I'll receive tomorrow my BR5 mkII, will reply about quality, two mates got flawless IEMs
Overall quality is not measured by the quality of the IEM you personally get, it is measured by the mean quality of everything they sell.
And so far, this topic has reported a number of incidents pointing at poor quality control, release of defective units (which is downright unacceptable for a handmade item) and very early failures (within 6 months) with very poor aftersale services/communication (basically Penon negotiating with Rose to have any repair done because they don't seem to know that they should honor some warranty if they want to keep a decent customer base). The only thing they're good at is sound tuning, the rest is badly executed.

If people enjoy playing the lottery with 300+$ IEMs, good for them. What could be acceptable with 20$ IEMs is not at 300+$

Even though I enjoy my Rose Cappuccinos MK2 immensely (glorious bass, ergonomy and details, with a nice wide soundstage), the fact I got issues with all 4 Rose IEMs I bought should be a serious warning. 2 of them are dead, 1 is falling into pieces and the Cappuccinos MK2 had to be repaired after 4 months.
I never had to repair ANY of my IEMs before buying Rose ones because I'm a very cautious person.

I sincerely hope you get a good unit that will last long, but that won't make Rose a trustworthy brand nonetheless.

If you want a prime example of a Chinese brand that takes quality and aftersale very seriously (yes, it DOES exist), please have a look at Cayin in the portable source section. It is just another world. Same for Shozy. Rose is more in the category of passionate amateurs, at best.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #1,092 of 1,255
Any comparisons to similarly priced IEMs with the Aurora? SE-215 perhaps, or SteelSeries Flux? Hell, if it sounds similar to the Nuforce NE-600X I might bite. I just want something punchy and not fatiguing, muddy or congested sounding.

Jan 29, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #1,094 of 1,255
Any comparisons to similarly priced IEMs with the Aurora? SE-215 perhaps, or SteelSeries Flux? Hell, if it sounds similar to the Nuforce NE-600X I might bite. I just want something punchy and not fatiguing, muddy or congested sounding.

I'll be honest, there's a lot of IEMs out there I'd buy before the Aurora. Its sound signature is just too thick for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back